Page 43 of 72 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast

Thread: e-Bikes - Let's talk

TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Meatmotor View Post
    adding a technological red-herring is no longer a red-herring.

And what if CaBi started marketing their red-herring
    Seriously no offense intended here, but "red-herring" doesn't mean what you think it means.

Post Thanks / Like

Why does a cargo bike need to go 15mph up a hill, anyway?
    John MacArthur at Portland State U surveyed US ebike owners in 2012 and published a slide set (a 2017 survey recently closed):
    - slide #32...30% reported they have a physical condition that makes riding a standard bicycle difficult,
    and
    - slide #36...compare the male/female responses in columns 4, 5, and 6. Difficult to generalize because the survey sample was so skewed towards males but it suggests ebikes help people and families who otherwise might not have made the journey get up hills, run errands, commute to work, etc.

I hope this years survey had more participants, a more even gender balance, easier to identify sub-groups such as cargo bike owners, etc. Moar data...
    Last edited by Dewey; 08-10-2017 at 02:41 PM.

3. Likes dasgeh, EasyRider liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If they are riding in traffic, that would be a most excellent feature to have. It would be for me a principle benefit of buying one. Not to set speed records, but to be able to ride more comfortably in traffic.

Perhaps someday ebike speed governors (that is the correct word, right) will be smart enough to recognize if the bike is on a trail or on the road? At that point they will be far safer than fast road bikes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TwoWheelsDC View Post
    Seriously no offense intended here, but "red-herring" doesn't mean what you think it means.
    I was poking fun at the original usage, thanks!

Also hoping that we can add to the lexicon: Red-Herring Hood—a rider of an e-bike.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dewey View Post
    I'm glad you asked that as I love a slide set- John MacArthur at Portland State U surveyed US ebike owners in 2012 (a 2017 survey is currently ongoing):
    - slide #32...30% reported they have a physical condition that makes riding a standard bicycle difficult,
    and
    - slide #36...compare the male/female responses in columns 3, 4, and 5.

The DC area is hilly, ebikes - cargo and otherwise - help people get up hills.
    The point I was trying to make was that 15mph up a steep hill on a 300lb cargo bike is a bit much. 9mph, sure, that's "keeping with traffic".

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthemark View Post
    Perhaps someday ebike speed governors (that is the correct word, right) will be smart enough to recognize if the bike is on a trail or on the road?.
    I think you mean the controller? That's what governs the current flow from the battery to the motor, and can set the motor assist speed limit. For some motors there are controller programming switches, for others there are phone apps, but none are automated and they're rarely fitted by road ebike cyclists, I think they originated because off-road ebike riders wanted some way to switch between off-road and on-road power modes. I would think an automated application might be well suited for longer distance commuters who might prefer the faster Class 3 speed pedelecs but need to slow down when using bicycle infrastructure closer in - maybe something phone/gps based using gps tracker chips in bike frames and bluetooth controllers, it has to be less complicated/cheaper than autonomous vehicle software.
    Last edited by Dewey; 08-10-2017 at 03:01 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TwoWheelsDC View Post
    Herring aren't even red.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	herring.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	79.2 KB 
ID:	15359

9. Likes Harry Meatmotor, hozn, Emm liked this post
    dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

The point I was trying to make was that 15mph up a steep hill on a 300lb cargo bike is a bit much. 9mph, sure, that's "keeping with traffic".
    Not on a road.

When bikes are transportation, they need to have the ability to go on road (because trails don't go everywhere) and on trail (because there are enough routes where the only safe option is trail). So the bike having the ability to keep up with road traffic is important. The rider having the sense to not do stupid stuff on the trail is also important.

And plenty of people go 12-15mph up the Custis hill.

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dasgeh View Post
    The reason the anti-ebike argument grates on me is that the "e" part of the bike is a red herring. The logical position would be to ban any vehicle from a trail that has the ability to obtain unsafe speeds. Yet, anti-ebike folks don't want to ban (as I understand it) road bikes ridden by roadies, and those have the ability to obtain unsafe speeds. So why should only fit people be allowed on vehicles that have the ability to obtain unsafe speeds, but not unfit people and people with heavy loads?
    "unfit" meaning able to generate enough power to pedal a bike at 20+ mph on the flats, or "unfit" meaning unable to pilot a bike safely for themselves and other trail users at 20+ mph?
    Pretty sure it's crystal clear from context that I meant the former. So much so, that at this point I wonder whether you're trolling.

But I will assume, for now, that you are here for a real conversation.

If the former [...]
    Just imagine how many more bike/ped altercations would take place if we threw a 500w motor into every CaBi. And what if CaBi started marketing their red-herring: "the biggest thing it can save is your most precious resource … your time." ZOOOOOOM!!!

As far as heavy loads: I'm pretty sure we have an adequate model for regulating vehicles carrying heavy loads while sharing roadways with smaller, lighter weight vehicles, e.g., motorcycles. Vehicle specific regulations, permitting, and licensing.

To take these points in reverse order:
    - For the same reasons a person would want to ride a non-cargo bike up a hill at 15mph. Why would the cargo part make any difference?

- Not entirely sure of your analogy here -- if you mean to say cargo bikes are cars and regular bikes are motorcycles, and thus the varying requirements of each, then you vastly overestimate the difference in weight and size of a cargo bike v. a non-cargo bike. But regardless, this isn't an ebike issue. Pedal assist adds around 40lbs to a given bike. That's far less than they variation in rider weight on this forum.

- CaBi does market on saving people time, and I would fully support adding ebikes to the CaBi fleet, just like Baltimore's bikeshare (which has never seen a death!) has done.

- The ability to ride a bike fast does not depend on bike handling skills. Any adult-sized person could get a CaBi well over 20mph on many of the downhills on the Custis (not recommended). Of course, common sense dictates that a person with poor bike handling skills not ride too fast, but that's true whether the ability to ride fast comes from a motor, gravity, or just very large muscles.

Again, your comments seem to come down to "only people in very good physical shape should be allowed on vehicles that can obtain high speeds (on flats/uphills) on trails", which is ridiculous.

Steve O is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tania View Post
    I'm reasonably fit although by no means nearly as fit or as efficient as a good majority.
    This is total BS, of course. The second part, that is.

Quote Originally Posted by Tania View Post
    Otherwise, I'll chill and chit chat with the person in front of me until it's clear to pass.
    And another good reason to ride around on the trails--you might have Tania catch you from behind.
    And a bad reason to have an e-bike: she might not catch you as easily then.

13. Likes hozn, Emm, dbb liked this post