Likes Likes:  921
Dislikes Dislikes:  11
ELITE ELITE:  42
Page 114 of 116 FirstFirst ... 1464104112113114115116 LastLast
Results 1,131 to 1,140 of 1157

Thread: e-Bikes - Let's talk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthemark View Post
    Nothing wrong with testing one out, if that's what this post is saying. I merely think that since the object of the e-assist is to make things easier, by definition things are not harder; hence, no HTFUing. (I suppose there could be the exception for someone who could not otherwise ride at all for health reasons.)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dplasters View Post
    I feel like ebikes should come standard with a dynamo front hub.
    That seems silly, since they have a big honkin' battery already

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dplasters View Post
    I feel like ebikes should come standard with a dynamo front hub.
    Some manufacturers do, Spanish company BH EasyMotion usually put them on their city ebikes like their Atom Diamond Wave, Evo City, and Evo City Wave models, the Canadian eProdigy Banff has one as well, and Dutch manufacturer Workcycles keeps the front dynamo hub when they motorize their FR8 and KR8 cargo bikes. The others could learn from Workcycles who wire up both the front and taillight to the dynamo because on the EasyMotion and eProdigy ebikes the dynamo hub only powers the front light which means you still have to change batteries on the rear which is silly when they could just wire both lights to the dynamo hub or into the main battery pack. Some 2018 Electra Loft Go! ebikes have a front dynamo hub but it is not connected to anything because someone at Trek or their supplier made a mistake when ordering parts and they just kept the dynamo hub anyway.
    Last edited by Dewey; 05-24-2018 at 09:26 AM.

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sunyata View Post
    I was not being sarcastic at all. And I am honestly not sure why you thought I was being sarcastic or why you were offended by what I said. I am not against e-bikes at all on paved/gravel multi-use trails, so long as they (like everyone should be) are courteous and safe. I just made an observation that during the rainy week last week, I was not sure I saw an e-bike out and about (perhaps I should have noted that I saw less conventional bikes too, but this is not a conversation about conventional bikes). I normally notice them because I tend to pay attention to other's bikes because I am curious what other folks are riding. I am not saying there is anything wrong with e-cyclists (or folks on conventional cycles) that are fair weather cyclists. Not everyone wants to get out and ride in the rain, I get that.

As for the observation that the e-cyclists on the Custis are more courteous than those that I encountered on the W&OD or MVT on my previous commute, I have no idea why that is, but it is an observation that I have made. My apologies for inadvertently offending you. And kudos to the group that set up the demo, that is pretty cool!
    Fair enough. I lumped you in with the others making similar comments who had added sarcasm to their comments. That was not fair, and I'm sorry.

lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by huskerdont View Post
    Nothing wrong with testing one out, if that's what this post is saying. I merely think that since the object of the e-assist is to make things easier, by definition things are not harder; hence, no HTFUing. (I suppose there could be the exception for someone who could not otherwise ride at all for health reasons.)
    You did not look closely enough The point was that I made TWO seperate attempts to climb Meridian Hill on the Jump Bike, and failed both times (Not sure I could ride up that hill on the Cannondale hybrid, even in granny gear, not that I have ever tried) despite pedaling with all my might (though had I been more willing to violate traffic laws, I might have managed more momentum coming up to the hill). IE depending on what you are trying to do, Rule #5 can still come into play - unless you are riding a class 2 with a throttle, or consistently taking it easy in terms of speed and grade (note I have never ridden a Class 3 ebike other than at Hains Point, so perhaps I am wrong with respect to them - and I guess Jump Bikes are heavier than regular Class 1 ebikes)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthemark View Post
    I made TWO seperate attempts to climb Meridian Hill on the Jump Bike, and failed both times...I guess Jump Bikes are heavier than regular Class 1 ebikes)
    When it comes to Class 1 250w motors opinion is divided on the merits of different types of electric motors for climbing hills. My limited understanding of ebike motors is that a geared hub motor that uses internal planetary gearing will always outperform a direct drive hub motor that has none but tends to build up waste heat to the point the motor cuts out to preserve the mosfets from burning out, although in defense of direct drive motors I've read that ferrofluid can bridge the gap between the stator and the rotor to help dissipate waste heat, whereas a mid-drive motor powers the front chainring possibly giving it a mechanical advantage over the other two motor types hence the popularity of mid-drive motors on higher end European and Asian pedelecs and Class 1 ebikes. I chose a 250w mid-drive kit motor to convert my bicycle because ebike riders in the UK, which like the EU has strict power and speed limits, were saying it was the best type of 250w motor to climb hills. You might like to email JUMP about your experience riding their ebike up hills in DC and suggest they look into adopting a higher power rated direct drive hub motor with ferrofluid and hubsink cooling fins. It is unlikely they would consider a mid-drive motor due to the increased wear and tear on the drivetrain.
    Last edited by Dewey; 05-24-2018 at 11:09 AM.

hozn is online now I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sunyata View Post
    I was not being sarcastic at all. And I am honestly not sure why you thought I was being sarcastic or why you were offended by what I said. I am not against e-bikes at all on paved/gravel multi-use trails, so long as they (like everyone should be) are courteous and safe. I just made an observation that during the rainy week last week, I was not sure I saw an e-bike out and about (perhaps I should have noted that I saw less conventional bikes too, but this is not a conversation about conventional bikes). I normally notice them because I tend to pay attention to other's bikes because I am curious what other folks are riding. I am not saying there is anything wrong with e-cyclists (or folks on conventional cycles) that are fair weather cyclists. Not everyone wants to get out and ride in the rain, I get that.
    I also didn't see any ebikes during my commutes in the rain last week. But the number of non-ebikes was so much lower, that the percentage probably was going to round down to 0 anyway. In general I now see a dozen or so over the course of a week on the W&OD. Much, much higher than previous years. About half of the ones I see are class-3 bikes. While I'll still be glad when VA disallows those on multi-use paths, all the riders I see do seem to be following the trail rules and being respectful of others, so that's good.

lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dewey View Post
    When it comes to Class 1 250w motors opinion is divided on the merits of different types of electric motors for climbing hills. My limited understanding of ebike motors is that a geared hub motor that uses internal planetary gearing will always outperform a direct drive hub motor that has none but tends to build up waste heat to the point the motor cuts out to preserve the mosfets from burning out, although in defense of direct drive motors I've read that ferrofluid can bridge the gap between the stator and the rotor to help dissipate waste heat, whereas a mid-drive motor powers the front chainring possibly giving it a mechanical advantage over the other two motor types hence the popularity of mid-drive motors on higher end European and Asian pedelecs and Class 1 ebikes. I chose a 250w mid-drive kit motor to convert my bicycle because ebike riders in the UK, which like the EU has strict power and speed limits, were saying it was the best type of 250w motor to climb hills. You might like to email JUMP about your experience riding their ebike up hills in DC and suggest they look into adopting a higher power rated direct drive hub motor with ferrofluid and hubsink cooling fins. It is unlikely they would consider a mid-drive motor due to the increased wear and tear on the drivetrain.

Well er yeah, of course, doesn't everyone know that?

My goal is still to get an actual road bike for hill climbing, and to wait to get an ebike until "time and fate" take their toll. I was riding just to get a better idea (as an advocate) of what ebikes can do. And in fact to see how much effort is required.

hozn is online now I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bentbike33 View Post
    Ebike riders are not famous for following rules 5 and 9.
    I rather doubt anyone would disagree. But I think this is akin to disparaging someone's minivan because you don't think it'd clock good track times. Endurance events and other HTFU activities were probably not the driving factors in choosing an e-bike. People ride bikes for different reasons; I think it's great to get more people out enjoying lighter-modes of transport. Of course, I also think that cycling is such a rich activity and e-bikes only open up a tiny percentage of this, that I can't help but feeling that someone is really missing out (on the group rides, the racing, the off-road riding) if that's their only bike.

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hozn View Post
    While I'll still be glad when VA disallows those on multi-use paths, all the riders I see do seem to be following the trail rules and being respectful of others, so that's good.
    But why would you want rule-following, respectful riders banned?