Likes Likes:  1,113
Dislikes Dislikes:  13
ELITE ELITE:  42
Page 129 of 129 FirstFirst ... 2979119127128129
Results 1,281 to 1,283 of 1283

Thread: e-Bikes - Let's talk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dewey View Post
    Arlington County Board vote to pass the Micromobility Ordinance. ebikes that meet Virginia state definition of a power assisted electric bicycle (up to 1,000w, 25mph) are permitted to ride on County multi use trails, 20mph trail speed limit, but also a new 6mph speed limit applies to ebikes riding on County sidewalks, and no sidewalk riding where a PBL is in place https://newsroom.arlingtonva.us/rele...te-e-scooters/
    It says all these devices require a speedometer, which is not too cheap an add-on. Also I would be curious about using a speedometer with an electric skateboard. I guess you would have to carry it while riding or use a wearable.

Either way, that probably opens a fair bit of liability if you are at fault in an accident and donÂ’t have one or canÂ’t prove you were under the speed limit.
    Last edited by zsionakides; 11-17-2019 at 09:28 AM.

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zsionakides View Post
    It says all these devices require a speedometer, which is not too cheap an add-on. Also I would be curious about using a speedometer with an electric skateboard. I guess you would have to carry it while riding or use a wearable.
    The proposed ordinance only required speedometers on the shared devices. I don't know if they amended on dias (haven't watched yet), but I don't read Virginia's law to allow give them that authority. Of course, I don't see where they get the authority for the speed lmiit or sidewalk ban for ebikes so...

Post Thanks / Like

The Post's Dr Gridlock reports DDOT has announced two private companies have been awarded permits to operate dockless ebikes in DC next year, with up to 5,000 ebikes up from the current 1,000 JUMP bikes. Uber/JUMP have had their permit renewed, the new entrant is Helbiz. The Post mentions Cllr Cheh walked back her scooter regulation, but both that bill and another need to be passed in some amended form to update the city's municipal regulations for ebikes and scooters to enable legal access to sidewalks and multi-use paths outside the CBD and so their riders are treated more like pedal cyclists with regards to recourse against drivers insurance in the event of a collision with a car.

Meanwhile Fairfax County quickly followed Arlington issuing new regulations for dockless scooters and ebikes, permitting them to ride on multi-use paths and sidewalks. The final piece is for the District to legalize ebike and scooter commuters on the other Potomac bridge side paths (Memorial Bridge is NPS so is a legal crossing for ebikes).
    Last edited by Dewey; 12-04-2019 at 09:00 PM.

4. Likes buschwacker liked this post