Likes Likes:  921
Dislikes Dislikes:  11
ELITE ELITE:  42
Page 97 of 116 FirstFirst ... 47879596979899107 ... LastLast

Thread: e-Bikes - Let's talk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cvcalhoun View Post
    Yes, but the same principle applies to shorter rides. People generally decide whether to bike based on time it takes, not distance. So a faster bike is likely to convince more people to ride.
    It doesn't, really. Just like speeding from stoplight to stoplight in a car doesn't really help you drive a few blocks in the city any faster, being able to go twice as fast on a short trip isn't going to make much difference compared to other factors (locking up, waiting for lights, etc.) If you want an ebike to save time, the distance has to be long enough for the difference in moving time to be a significant portion of the overall time.

If someone is going 20 miles and isn't focusing on the health aspects of cycling and isn't particularly dogmatic about it (because they're happy to twist a throttle instead of pedaling) then they should just get a motorcycle...among other things, a lot of new routes will open up (VDOT loves to build high speed roads for cars more than it likes to build trails for bikes). But motorcycles aren't a big fraction of the commuter population either--the deterrent isn't horsepower or max speed, it's that there really aren't that many people who want to be in an open vehicle for a 20 mile commute.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthemark View Post
    I do want to ask LE, etc to go easy on people who forget they are using an ebike.
    If you're riding an e-bike that isn't that distinguishable from an actual bike, you're extremely unlikely to be hassled. If it operates pedal assist only and isn't very powerful, only someone who is really in the know is even going to notice.

lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jabberwocky View Post
    If you're riding an e-bike that isn't that distinguishable from an actual bike, you're extremely unlikely to be hassled. If it operates pedal assist only and isn't very powerful, only someone who is really in the know is even going to notice.
    The baltimore bike share ebikes looked very different from normal bikes, but almost identical (aside from the lightning bolt) to the other baltimore bike share bikes. The baltimore bike share bikes looked like they had a place for an electric motor, though they did not actually have an electric motor. "Why do the non ebikes have to look like this? CaBi bikes don't" said the alleged bike advocate. "To have more parts in common, I guess" said the so called newb.

(as you can see, I don't really think we came close to getting a fine for riding an ebike on the Gwynns Falls Trail - I just wanted an excuse to share how the content of a 90 page thread can entirely depart one's mind when actually riding)
    Last edited by lordofthemark; 11-27-2017 at 01:29 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

My wife did some bicycle commuting to uptown DC from Northern VA last year., and wants to do more but withan e-bike kit to assist. To test the waters I just got a used 1000 watt,, 48v. rear brushless motor kit off of Craigslist that would have cost $200 new (motor, rim, tire, controller, throttle, cutout-switched brake levers, sundry accessories) (batteries not included). Her bike has 700cc wheels and this wheel/hub is 26" so I'm putting it on an old Schwinn Frontier (small 15" frame) bike that I had, with a new, suitable aluminum rack and panniers and some lithium batteries. When i get it hooked I'll test it out for range and drivability on a run from West Falls church to my work near the Capitol.
    Last edited by phog; 01-29-2018 at 05:01 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by phog View Post
    My wife did some bicycle commuting to uptown DC from Northern VA last year., and wants to do more but withan e-bike kit to assist. To test the waters I just got a used 1000 watt,, 48v. rear brushless motor kit off of Craigslist that would have cost $200 new (motor, rim, tire, controller, throttle, cutout-switched brake levers, sundry accessories) (batteries not included). Her bike has 700cc wheels and this wheel/hub is 26" so I'm putting it on an old Schwinn Frontier (small 15" frame) bike that I had, with a new, suitable aluminum rack and panniers and some lithium batteries. When i get it hooked I'll test it out for range and drivability on a run from West Falls church to my work near the Capitol.
    Welcome! I bought a refurbished e-bike back in June to start commuting from Vienna to SW DC and lose some weight (about 20 miles each way). It's been great and I've lost ~60 lbs since I started in July. I'd suggest using 11 or 12 gauge spokes for the rear wheel and checking tension every couple weeks as the torque places a lot of stress on them. I've broken about 10 so far. Also, since you're retrofitting an existing bike, ensure that a torque arm is included in the "sundry" items. It will spread torque from just the axle nuts at the rear stays to a second fixed point on the stay. For battery, I got a 17.4AH battery with my bike and that allows me to go back and forth to work on a single charge easily. As I've been dropping the amount of assist it gives me, I can actually stretch it out to 2 days back and forth, but I have terrible range anxiety.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NovaEbike View Post
    Welcome! I bought a refurbished e-bike back in June to start commuting from Vienna to SW DC and lose some weight (about 20 miles each way). It's been great and I've lost ~60 lbs since I started in July. I'd suggest using 11 or 12 gauge spokes for the rear wheel and checking tension every couple weeks as the torque places a lot of stress on them. I've broken about 10 so far. Also, since you're retrofitting an existing bike, ensure that a torque arm is included in the "sundry" items. It will spread torque from just the axle nuts at the rear stays to a second fixed point on the stay. For battery, I got a 17.4AH battery with my bike and that allows me to go back and forth to work on a single charge easily. As I've been dropping the amount of assist it gives me, I can actually stretch it out to 2 days back and forth, but I have terrible range anxiety.
    That's impressive weight loss and probably fitness gains to go with it. Good on you. Weren't you the guy trying to figure out how to haul your required wardrobe on the bike? How'd that work out?

I'm interested in your rig and whatever phog comes up with. I have an old Kona mountain bike that would be a decent platform and a fatbike that is so heavy its like riding in slow motion.

I've been watching the Global Cycling Network spin off YouTube channel, Electric Mountain Bike Channel. Both the presenters are accomplished cyclists and motorcyclists, like me. Although the "accomplished" part is questionable. Seems like I would find a good electric motor on the fat bike a fun half step in between the two. Or put racks and fenders on the Kona and it would be a decent car replacement for short trips to the store or whatever. I've been eyeballing the Luna Cycles kits now and then. I balk at the cost, but I spent more than the cost of one of the kits on the rear shock of my motorcycle and forgot all about the expense after the first ride.

Post Thanks / Like

If there is enough room in the frame and the axle spacing is compatible you can probably put that 26 inch wheel right in your wifey's bike with 700c wheels. With as big a tire as you can stuff in there it should have almost no impact on riding characteristics. Except the comfort of a larger volume tire. I am assuming you are talking about a rear hub/motor set up. I have a big 26" Schwalbe Road Apple tire if you want to try mocking up the fitment of that combination. You can have it if it works. Also assuming disk brakes!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by anomad View Post
    That's impressive weight loss and probably fitness gains to go with it. Good on you. Weren't you the guy trying to figure out how to haul your required wardrobe on the bike? How'd that work out?

I'm interested in your rig and whatever phog comes up with. I have an old Kona mountain bike that would be a decent platform and a fatbike that is so heavy its like riding in slow motion.

I've been watching the Global Cycling Network spin off YouTube channel, Electric Mountain Bike Channel. Both the presenters are accomplished cyclists and motorcyclists, like me. Although the "accomplished" part is questionable. Seems like I would find a good electric motor on the fat bike a fun half step in between the two. Or put racks and fenders on the Kona and it would be a decent car replacement for short trips to the store or whatever. I've been eyeballing the Luna Cycles kits now and then. I balk at the cost, but I spent more than the cost of one of the kits on the rear shock of my motorcycle and forgot all about the expense after the first ride.
    Yep, that was me. I ended up just rolling some dress shirts carefully and bringing them in. When I need to do the full suit dry cleaning, I've employed the use of my brother-in-law who works nearby to bring them back in for me in his car.

My bike is a Juiced Cross Current. They don't make it anymore, but now have the Cross Current S which is better/upgraded. It's a good bike at a really good price compared to the e-bikes you see in store around here. The downside is that you have to buy direct and with no dealer network on this coast, after-sales support can be tough, but it's getting better.

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by anomad View Post
    I've been eyeballing the Luna Cycles kits now and then. I balk at the cost, but I spent more than the cost of one of the kits on the rear shock of my motorcycle and forgot all about the expense after the first ride.
    We have Luna Cycles mid drive kits on the cargo bikes. We've been happy with them thus far.

baiskeli is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Her bike has 700cc wheels and this wheel/hub is 26"
    Headline: Area man misses excuse to buy new bike for wife