Page 31 of 46 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast

Thread: e-Bikes - Let's talk

Post Thanks / Like

This. This exactly is what I try to tell myself.

Quote Originally Posted by hozn View Post
    Certainly when the thousandth person passes you up Rosslyn Hill without exerting any effort, without breaking a sweat, it will be attractive to admit "it's not a race." Or if cat6 matters, then at least, "I'm not racing them".
    But yet I still can't help when this happens. E-bike ahead, who because the bike is doing all the work, isn't exactly pedaling. Yeah, sure the pedals are lazily being turned over, but the cyclist isn't doing anything measurable. It's why he's only going about 14 mph. That's fine. I catch up. I take a moment to decide whether to stay in line or pass. Then e-bike realizes I'm behind and he decides to go full agro and rocket off at 25 mph. That's fine too I suppose because It's not a race. It's not a race. It's not a race.

A few minutes later, because e-boy has remembered that the ebike does all the work he has stopped really pedaling again. I catch up again. He zooms away again. Repeat and repeat. I try to be zen about it, but it still kind of strikes me as kind of dickish in a non-fraternal, that's not how we do things, sort of way.

2. Likes hozn liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I was once rudely passed by an ebike early on the Custis climb out of Rosslyn, but soon after I passed him (well to his left and with a happily audible warning) as he crawled up the climb to the Bridge to Nowhere because his battery had died or something else went wrong with his contraption.

Ah, schadenfreude!

4. Likes Starduster, Steve O, hozn liked this post
    Mostly Frankfurt am Main with time in Dominion Hills
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brendan von Buckingham View Post

But yet I still can't help when this happens. E-bike ahead, who because the bike is doing all the work, isn't exactly pedaling. Yeah, sure the pedals are lazily being turned over, but the cyclist isn't doing anything measurable. It's why he's only going about 14 mph. That's fine. I catch up. I take a moment to decide whether to stay in line or pass. Then e-bike realizes I'm behind and he decides to go full agro and rocket off at 25 mph. That's fine too I suppose because It's not a race. It's not a race. It's not a race.

A few minutes later, because e-boy has remembered that the ebike does all the work he has stopped really pedaling again. I catch up again. He zooms away again. Repeat and repeat. I try to be zen about it, but it still kind of strikes me as kind of dickish in a non-fraternal, that's not how we do things, sort of way.
    He's trying to help you with your interval training.

6. Likes bentbike33, semperiden liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That one time I was struggling at the W&OD going uphill just after George Mason Dr cursing the headwind, cursing my tired legs, barely making it to 15-16mph, when suddenly an older lady in a vintage looking bike passed me with no effort whatsoever. Was she riding an e-bike? Was she not riding an e-bike? The madness.

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brendan von Buckingham View Post

This has happened to me a number of times with people on non ebikes doing the speeding and slowing (with me on an ebike and on a non ebike).

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

https://youtu.be/b-YyKy8WWmo

This is pretty awesome. I'm not sure I saw any pedaling (or helmets) in the entire video! :-)

I have a co-worker that built a similar e-bike, basically an e-motorbike - goes 60mph, apparently. I think/hope he uses a lane of Fairfax County Parkway and not the trail alongside it.

TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default e-Bikes - Let's talk

https://youtu.be/b-YyKy8WWmo

This is pretty awesome. I'm not sure I saw any pedaling (or helmets) in the entire video! :-)

I have a co-worker that built a similar e-bike, basically an e-motorbike - goes 60mph, apparently. I think/hope he uses a lane of Fairfax County Parkway and not the trail alongside it.
    Strange...they seem to be too fast/powerful to qualify as a bike and not a moped (or even a motorcycle, depending on max speed with throttle), so I don't see how these wouldn't require a license to operate in many places (along with potential registration and helmet requirements) including VA.

For all intents and purposes, if it can go over 20 with just throttle, it's a moped. Over 35, it's a motorcycle.

11. Likes Vicegrip liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TwoWheelsDC View Post
    Strange...they seem to be too fast/powerful to qualify as a bike
    How fast/powerful is too fast to qualify as a bike? I have heard of speed limiters at 20mph, but where is that actually applicable? Even big-name production bikes like the Spec Turbo aren't assist limited to 20mph (they cruise easily at 28mph, I gather).

TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

How fast/powerful is too fast to qualify as a bike? I have heard of speed limiters at 20mph, but where is that actually applicable? Even big-name production bikes like the Spec Turbo aren't assist limited to 20mph (they cruise easily at 28mph, I gather).
    Federal statute (VA is similar) says an e-bike is:

Two or three wheels

Fully operable pedals

750 watts maximum

Maximum speed of less than 20-MPH on the motor only, on level ground, with a 170 pound rider.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, maybe the problem is that the classification doesn't have any practical implications for where you can or cannot ride the e-bike? Maybe if NVRPA or NPS enforced the "no motors" rule it would matter more?