Page 97 of 97 FirstFirst ... 4787959697

Thread: e-Bikes - Let's talk

mstone is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cvcalhoun View Post
    Yes, but the same principle applies to shorter rides. People generally decide whether to bike based on time it takes, not distance. So a faster bike is likely to convince more people to ride.
    It doesn't, really. Just like speeding from stoplight to stoplight in a car doesn't really help you drive a few blocks in the city any faster, being able to go twice as fast on a short trip isn't going to make much difference compared to other factors (locking up, waiting for lights, etc.) If you want an ebike to save time, the distance has to be long enough for the difference in moving time to be a significant portion of the overall time.

If someone is going 20 miles and isn't focusing on the health aspects of cycling and isn't particularly dogmatic about it (because they're happy to twist a throttle instead of pedaling) then they should just get a motorcycle...among other things, a lot of new routes will open up (VDOT loves to build high speed roads for cars more than it likes to build trails for bikes). But motorcycles aren't a big fraction of the commuter population either--the deterrent isn't horsepower or max speed, it's that there really aren't that many people who want to be in an open vehicle for a 20 mile commute.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthemark View Post
    I do want to ask LE, etc to go easy on people who forget they are using an ebike.
    If you're riding an e-bike that isn't that distinguishable from an actual bike, you're extremely unlikely to be hassled. If it operates pedal assist only and isn't very powerful, only someone who is really in the know is even going to notice.

lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jabberwocky View Post
    If you're riding an e-bike that isn't that distinguishable from an actual bike, you're extremely unlikely to be hassled. If it operates pedal assist only and isn't very powerful, only someone who is really in the know is even going to notice.
    The baltimore bike share ebikes looked very different from normal bikes, but almost identical (aside from the lightning bolt) to the other baltimore bike share bikes. The baltimore bike share bikes looked like they had a place for an electric motor, though they did not actually have an electric motor. "Why do the non ebikes have to look like this? CaBi bikes don't" said the alleged bike advocate. "To have more parts in common, I guess" said the so called newb.

(as you can see, I don't really think we came close to getting a fine for riding an ebike on the Gwynns Falls Trail - I just wanted an excuse to share how the content of a 90 page thread can entirely depart one's mind when actually riding)
    Last edited by lordofthemark; 11-27-2017 at 02:29 PM.