Page 48 of 96 FirstFirst ... 38464748495058 ... LastLast

Thread: e-Bikes - Let's talk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dhs1963 View Post
    But, person to person, the weight varies a lot.

For example, if I buy a 15 lb road bike, I will be pushing 275 lbs up the hill. On the other hand, a 30 lb bike will have me pushing 290, which is a 7% difference.

On the other hand, someone who weighs 135 will have total weights of 150 and 165, or a 10% difference.
    Well, getting back to the braking thing, I'm pretty sure brakes only "care" about total system mass, not percentage difference between lighter people riding heavy bikes, heavy people riding lighter bikes, lighter people riding lighter bikes, or heavy people riding heavy bikes.

More mass = more skids.

(since tire grip ultimately determines whether you can panic stop your bike and not turn into a pile in a ditch)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AFHokie View Post
    Tangent: I though this was photo shopped until I saw that water bikes are a thing...

Steve O is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Another article to feed the discussion
    https://www.newyorker.com/culture/cu...bike-conundrum

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Tapatalk

4. ELITE Brendan von Buckingham ELITED this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That article captured my feelings of inevitability and loss. e-bikes will inevitably become dominant. bicycles will go the way of the penny farthing and be lost. The starkest "inevitable loss" is death. And death makes me sad. I am better than death, but death will win. I am better than ebikes, but ebikes will win.

And they should get in the road with other motorized transport.

6. Likes highline liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Buh-bye Big Guys

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Meatmotor View Post
    Well, getting back to the braking thing, I'm pretty sure brakes only "care" about total system mass, not percentage difference between lighter people riding heavy bikes, heavy people riding lighter bikes, lighter people riding lighter bikes, or heavy people riding heavy bikes.

More mass = more skids.

(since tire grip ultimately determines whether you can panic stop your bike and not turn into a pile in a ditch)
    Yes! Guys! We should have a weight restriction on bicycle use on the trails. Anyone with combined mass greater than me+ebike has to go.

8. Likes dasgeh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow, I found that article elitist and off-putting. You have to earn your commute? Maybe one small segment feels that way.

10. Likes dasgeh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crickey7 View Post
    Wow, I found that article elitist and off-putting. You have to earn your commute? Maybe one small segment feels that way.
    That one sentence might have been, but the article as a whole explored the whole gamut of feelings on the topic. Reflective of this whole thread really. Even had admissions from old guard cyclists how neat ebikes were to ride. Maybe that sentence should get the most attention. It's not hard to understand that ebikes are the same but different. The parts that are the same are easy to like. The parts that are different are harder to like.

I also learned that the PR folks for ebikes want them to be called electric assist bikes which is a long phrase. So e-ass bikes it is.

12. Likes huskerdont liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So what I'm getting from this is that my excessive body weight plus the weight of my overloaded heavy (but unassisted) hybrid is such that I shouldn't be allowed on the trails, either. Good to know.

14. Likes dasgeh, Steve O, dbb liked this post
    lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

What I got from the article, aside from the elegiac aspects (because The New Yorker, yes, The New Yorker) was that people can and will ride ebikes in PBLs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cvcalhoun View Post
    So what I'm getting from this is that my excessive body weight plus the weight of my overloaded heavy (but unassisted) hybrid is such that I shouldn't be allowed on the trails, either. Good to know.
    Yeah, I'm looking forward to breaking that stupid rule in the future myself.

17. Likes dasgeh, Steve O liked this post