Likes Likes:  1,100
Dislikes Dislikes:  11
ELITE ELITE:  42
Page 125 of 127 FirstFirst ... 2575115123124125126127 LastLast
Results 1,241 to 1,250 of 1267

Thread: e-Bikes - Let's talk

  1. #1241
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    alexandria
    Posts
    81
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dasgeh View Post
    A study on the W&OD showed that ebikes on the trail had lower average speeds than pedal bikes.
    Can you share a link to that study? I'd love to see the data, since that is definitely not what I experience during rush hour...thanks

  2. #1242
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    S. Arlington
    Posts
    352
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Perhaps I got "measured" on my pedal-assist-only ebike, unbeknownst to me, in their study!
    I'm passed by pedal-cyclists more often than by ebikers, and I'm passed in general about as often as I pass other cyclists, of either variety. Those rough stats are particularly based on the morning/evening commute rides (vs. say, a Saturday leisure ride.)

    Speaking for my own ebike use, I tend to average 12.5 - 13.5 mph total, on just about every trip I make. Of course being an average, it means I'll have brief stretches in the upper teens (or even low 20's like everyone, on a healthy gravity-assisted descent.)
    But then my PAS ebike purchase was never for gaining speed; it was for extending my achievable distances and ride duration.

  3. Likes buschwacker, LhasaCM liked this post
  4. #1243
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    529
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gibby View Post
    Can you share a link to that study? I'd love to see the data, since that is definitely not what I experience during rush hour...thanks
    I agree. I believe that I have only once passed a e-bike in all the years I have been cycling and that person was traveling with someone slow on a regular bike. I am passed daily by e-bikes on my commutes. I am in the 12-15 mph range usually (downhill much faster and on some straightaways, and slower on most uphills).

    Oh, and I have seen the occasional "pack" of flat bar (not sure if hybrid or mountain bike or BMX) e-cyclists who zip by folks on and off the trail - it was dangerous in Bluemont by the disc park. These are not the norm, but they do exist.

    No idea who did the study and the details and I have many counter examples. Not sure whom they were comparing against either. Can non-e-bikes go faster? Likely. Can e-bikes pass non-e-bikes? Most definitely.

  5. Likes huskerdont, sjclaeys liked this post
  6. #1244
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    10
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Here is a link to the study. It talks about speed on page 4 https://www.novaparks.com/sites/defa...%20E-Bikes.pdf.

  7. Likes ChristoB50, sjclaeys liked this post
  8. #1245
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Madison Manor
    Posts
    1,199
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dasgeh View Post
    A study on the W&OD showed that ebikes on the trail had lower average speeds than pedal bikes.
    So looking at the study, this statement can appear to be a bit misleading. Although the study was done for NVRPA to inform policy for e-bikes on the W&OD, the findings of the study, including regarding speed, are not based on behavior on the W&OD. It just cites a study that found that e-bikes were observed to go faster on roads than analog bikes and slower on a MUP than analog bikes. I'd also note that the cited study also found nearly identical safety behavior between e-bikes and analog bikes. This would dispel the notion that e-bike riders can somehow be expected to be more careful than the rest of us "crazies". Also, in case anyone wishes to respond with their own non-scientific observations, I'll put it out there that last evening at the intersection of Lynn and Lee Highway (aka the IOD), I observed a mom on a cargo e-bike with a young child in a back seat cross Lynn against the red light.

  9. #1246
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    S. Arlington
    Posts
    352
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sjclaeys View Post
    Also, in case anyone wishes to respond with their own non-scientific observations, I'll put it out there that last evening at the intersection of Lynn and Lee Highway (aka the IOD), I observed a mom on a cargo e-bike with a young child in a back seat cross Lynn against the red light.
    Is that meant to suggest her poor decision making (my view) was because she was on an ebike?
    That particular mom certainly doesn't hold a monopoly on poor riding decisions, by virtue of using an ebike rather than a pedal bike. I've witnessed (I'm sure we all have) plenty of what I'd consider head-scratchingly-stupid decisions made by plenty of other cyclists (either bike variety) with (and without) a child in tow...!

  10. #1247
    lordofthemark's Avatar
    lordofthemark is online now I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    The forgotten corner of Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    3,282
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The data for Europe though showed fewer infractions for ebikes.

    So data mixed, overall no evidence that ebikes are better or worse in behavior so far (this could change as they get more uptake in the market) and no significant difference in on trail speed.

    But more demand for trails, more usage of on road bike infra (often opposed on basis of light usage) more visibility for bikes on roads ("critical mass") etc, etc. Sounds like a good case for encouraging more ebikes. Even on trails.

  11. Likes ChristoB50, Steve O liked this post
  12. #1248
    lordofthemark's Avatar
    lordofthemark is online now I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    The forgotten corner of Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    3,282
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChristoB50 View Post
    Is that meant to suggest her poor decision making (my view) was because she was on an ebike?
    That particular mom certainly doesn't hold a monopoly on poor riding decisions, by virtue of using an ebike rather than a pedal bike. I've witnessed (I'm sure we all have) plenty of what I'd consider head-scratchingly-stupid decisions made by plenty of other cyclists (either bike variety) with (and without) a child in tow...!

    SteveC can certainly speak for himself, but I think he was trying to counter the argument that "ebikers are reluctant adopters of biking, more likely to be parents with kids along, etc, hence will be MORE law abiding and polite than existing (acoustic) riders"

    Leaving aside the issue of the size of the n, someone who has to ride across the IOD as it currently exists is arguably not the most cautious person to begin with, regardless of what kind of bike they ride. Better infra is still a more likely way to bring out the cautious would be riders than ebikes are.

  13. Likes ChristoB50 liked this post
  14. #1249
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Madison Manor
    Posts
    1,199
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lordofthemark View Post
    SteveC can certainly speak for himself, but I think he was trying to counter the argument that "ebikers are reluctant adopters of biking, more likely to be parents with kids along, etc, hence will be MORE law abiding and polite than existing (acoustic) riders"

    Leaving aside the issue of the size of the n, someone who has to ride across the IOD as it currently exists is arguably not the most cautious person to begin with, regardless of what kind of bike they ride. Better infra is still a more likely way to bring out the cautious would be riders than ebikes are.
    Yes, my point is that there is little/no basis to expect e-bike riders to behave any differently from analog/acoustic bike riders. In fact, it may be more likely that both sets of riders overall generally behave more similarly to how they drive a vehicle. I do not dispute the size of the n in my observation, but low n size has not stopped many on the forum from using personal observations as the basis for making public safety policy.

  15. Likes ChristoB50 liked this post
  16. #1250
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    S. Arlington
    Posts
    352
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sjclaeys View Post
    In fact, it may be more likely that both sets of riders overall generally behave more similarly to how they drive a vehicle.
    An interesting point as I increasingly see more cyclists actively engaged with their phones' screens (ie, not just talking phone-held-to-ear) while riding -- behavior which already has a long history with vehicle drivers; now potentially morphing into a new "normal" for some cyclists, too...

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •