Likes Likes:  1,107
Dislikes Dislikes:  11
ELITE ELITE:  42
Page 124 of 128 FirstFirst ... 2474114122123124125126 ... LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,240 of 1273

Thread: e-Bikes - Let's talk

Post Thanks / Like

So today on the MVT I see a kid about 10 years old on an e-bike with a sign on it that says “Rent me.” He was doing at least 20 mph with no pedaling at all, all throttle. No adults in tow. What could go wrong?

Separately, I was talking to a Swiss visitor who told me there has been a big problem with e-bike accidents and injuries in Switzerland. So I went to look that up and found a study saying that 17% of Swiss ebike riders have experienced a single-vehicle accident, which seems like a lot. https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...0145751830174X

Ebikes are here to stay, but the trails are going a little more dangerous with them.

2. Likes highline, huskerdont liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by secstate View Post
    Spotted this e-modded Long Haul Trucker outside the Library of Congress today.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6215.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	104.5 KB 
ID:	20243
    I can see that rear wheel with the motor disappearing real fast. Maybe the frame pump as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtowner View Post
    Separately, I was talking to a Swiss visitor who told me there has been a big problem with e-bike accidents and injuries in Switzerland. So I went to look that up and found a study saying that 17% of Swiss ebike riders have experienced a single-vehicle accident, which seems like a lot. https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...0145751830174X
    That doesn't sound terribly high to me and strikes me as an attempt to scare people unnecessarily. I wonder: what percentage of non e-bike riders have had a "single-vehicle accident" in their lifetime?

For a completely unscientific but relatable counterpoint: we had 20 individuals submit entries during FS2019 for the London Bridge pointless prize. That's 10% of that particular population in just one single almost 3 month period. Also: the Swiss study included "loss of balance (mostly related to low speed)" as a type of accident, so that would also cover anyone who hasn't been able to unclip when stopping and fell over at least once in their lives.

5. Likes Judd, dasgeh, Dewey liked this post
    Steve O is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KWL View Post
    I can see that rear wheel with the motor disappearing real fast. Maybe the frame pump as well.
    I don't know. I've had a pump mounted on my bike for at least 15 years (not the same one) and no one has ever taken it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LhasaCM View Post
    Also: the Swiss study included "loss of balance (mostly related to low speed)" as a type of accident, so that would also cover anyone who hasn't been able to unclip when stopping and fell over at least once in their lives.
    So I'm not the only one who did that? Phew!
    (Though sadly, my fall didn't involve actual clips -- it was those over-the-toe cage/strap things! Oh, the humiliation! Thinking back, that incident may in fact have been the very last bike ride I ever made, for the next 25 years...)

8. Likes LhasaCM, dasgeh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    I don't know. I've had a pump mounted on my bike for at least 15 years (not the same one) and no one has ever taken it.
    Counterexample: one time I accidentally left my pump mounted on my bike for 4 minutes while I dropped something off at the post office. Hopefully whoever took it got good use out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by ChristoB50 View Post
    So I'm not the only one who did that? Phew!
    (Though sadly, my fall didn't involve actual clips -- it was those over-the-toe cage/strap things! Oh, the humiliation! Thinking back, that incident may in fact have been the very last bike ride I ever made, for the next 25 years...)
    No, you're not the only one (though it's never happened to me*).

* I tried SPD cleats once but didn't like them, and only ride flat pedals

10. Likes Steve O, ChristoB50 liked this post
    lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LhasaCM View Post
    That doesn't sound terribly high to me and strikes me as an attempt to scare people unnecessarily. I wonder: what percentage of non e-bike riders have had a "single-vehicle accident" in their lifetime?

For a completely unscientific but relatable counterpoint: we had 20 individuals submit entries during FS2019 for the London Bridge pointless prize. That's 10% of that particular population in just one single almost 3 month period. Also: the Swiss study included "loss of balance (mostly related to low speed)" as a type of accident, so that would also cover anyone who hasn't been able to unclip when stopping and fell over at least once in their lives.
    My wife had one of those on the same ride where she broke her hand going under the Memorial bridge. She was not clipped in. BAN CABI!

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtowner View Post

Ebikes are here to stay, but the trails are going a little more dangerous with them.
    17% of riders experiencing a single rider crash also doesn't seem high to me. I think back to the BAC meeting when Steve O asked who in the room who rides the Trollheim had fallen on the Trollheim. I was the only person not in that category.

My working theory is that ebikes will get more of the "interested but concerned" part of the population out riding, and those folks are more risk adverse than the folks who ride today. So they will ride more safely than us crazies out there now, and safety will increase.

A study on the W&OD showed that ebikes on the trail had lower average speeds than pedal bikes.
    Last edited by dasgeh; 07-16-2019 at 03:45 PM.

13. Likes buschwacker, Dewey liked this post
    Steve O is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dasgeh View Post
    17% of riders experiencing a single rider crash also doesn't seem high to me. I think back to the BAC meeting when Steve O asked who in the room who rides the Trollheim had fallen on the Trollheim. I was the only person in that category.
    I think you mean to say you were the only one who had NOT fallen on the Trollheim. Lucky you; it claims everyone at some point.

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    I think you mean to say you were the only one who had NOT fallen on the Trollheim. Lucky you; it claims everyone at some point.
    Right about the first point. But I am resisting the Trollheim!