Page 71 of 72 FirstFirst ... 216169707172 LastLast

Thread: e-Bikes - Let's talk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Meatmotor View Post
    Awww Yissss!!

Finally, normal people are riding e-bikes! Just yesterday I saw a nice fellow riding an Icon e-Flyer on the MVT!!!
    ... nice guy, and he was out on his first actual ride on the motorcycle.
    Then he's not the only one riding one of these. I saw one a couple weeks ago coming up the ramp from MVT to the 14th Street Bridge as I was going down. I did not get a really good look because trail traffic, but the picture on the web page sure looked like the same old-time motorcycle I saw coming up the trail.

Post Thanks / Like

hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sjclaeys View Post
    Wait, based on this thread I thought that parents with children and the physically challenged would be the only ones on e-bikes.
    Yeah, of the ebikes I see on my commute, zero are driven by parents with children or the physically challenged. Most were running at 25-30mph down the W&OD. I guess we can "wait and see what happens" as they become more widespread, but I think there's some pretty clear early data that people are going to use them the way they're marketed ("get to work faster!", "feel like a superhero!"). I'm all for banning class-3 e-bikes from our trails. (And I think I'm all for permitting class-1 or class-2 e-bikes.) I've heard no argument for why we should be allowing class-3+ e-bikes on the MUPs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bentbike33 View Post
    Then he's not the only one riding one of these. I saw one a couple weeks ago coming up the ramp from MVT to the 14th Street Bridge as I was going down. I did not get a really good look because trail traffic, but the picture on the web page sure looked like the same old-time motorcycle I saw coming up the trail.
    What color was it?

I think, but haven't confirmed, that there's a single Chinese or Taiwanese OEM that's making a whole slew of these relatively new motorcycles (all 1.5-3kW hub driven from what I've seen) that look more like vintage motorcycles and at least a handful of companies importing/branding them, like Icon. The dead giveaway is to look at the top tube/seat tube/seatstay junction - there's one OEM that's using a hydroformed top tube that's welded to the seatstays in a weird way. They're also putting branding on the fake combustion engine/battery cover that would differentiate brand, but the branding placement indicates it is the same OEM.

"I, for one, welcome our new 3kW overlords!"

Post Thanks / Like

What color was it?
    I did not get a good look, it was more like, "Why is that idiot riding an old motorcycle on the trail? Oh wait, he's pedaling." As he got closer I saw the fake motor cover, but very quickly. I assume it was different from your guy based on timing and your guy's claim of first ride.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm waiting for 5kW and $200; maybe by 2019?
    Taiwanese motor manufacturer Cyclone exports their 3,000w motor for $350 a 7,500w version for $700, the product line goes up to 20,000w, the batteries are extra - say $550 for 72V. These are electric motorcycle motors, with power not meant to be put through bicycle components, and illegal for road use let alone on a trail, anyone strapping one to a $200 Walmart Mongoose Dolomite would be candidate for the Darwin award.
    Last edited by Dewey; 10-05-2017 at 12:39 PM.

dasgeh is online now Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sjclaeys View Post
    Wait, based on this thread I thought that parents with children and the physically challenged would be the only ones on e-bikes.
    If you need some exercises on reading comprehension, I can pull some out of my daughter's homework folder...

8. Likes Dewey liked this post
    Dislikes EasyRider disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dasgeh View Post
    If you need some exercises on reading comprehension, I can pull some out of my daughter's homework folder...
    Are they next to the dictionary with the definition of "sarcasm"?

10. Likes Subby liked this post
  11. 10-05-2017, 08:54 PM

Reason
    HMM

Post Thanks / Like

Awww Yissss!!

Finally, normal people are riding e-bikes! Just yesterday I saw a nice fellow riding an Icon e-Flyer on the MVT!!!

http://iconelectricbike.com/

3500w Race Mode, FTW! That'll easily make all of our bike/ped infrastructure headaches disappear!

I'm done. If that's a bicycle it's only because it has pedals. And in that case I'm gonna crazy-glue some cranks and pedals to the hood of my car and use the MVT express lane to drive to work.

13. Likes wheels&wings, bentbike33, hozn liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hozn View Post
    Yeah, of the ebikes I see on my commute, zero are driven by parents with children or the physically challenged.
    Well, one can't just look at a cyclist and know they aren't physically challenged.

15. Likes secstate liked this post