Page 70 of 72 FirstFirst ... 20606869707172 LastLast
Results 691 to 700 of 716

Thread: e-Bikes - Let's talk

  1. #691
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Arlington
    Posts
    1,025
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Since the technology is way ahead of legislation on this, people will just do what they want until the legislation catches up. They'll do what they want anyway. There's this one guy who rides his solarmotorcyclecar on the trail now and no one stops him. If you can do that, you can get away with pretty much anything.

  2. #692
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Arlington
    Posts
    1,861
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bentbike33 View Post
    Yes, but you forgot you call me Shirley.
    Shirley, you can't be serious.

  3. Likes bentbike33 liked this post
  4. #693
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    The forgotten corner of Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    2,471
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Thanks to Bobco, I know that Shirley Highway, and by extension, Shirlington, ,are named for https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_G._Shirley and not for the Shirley's of Shirley plantation. But surely, you knew that already.

  5. Likes Steve O, bentbike33 liked this post
  6. #694
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Falls Church, VA
    Posts
    627
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by judd View Post
    ftfy

  7. #695
    dasgeh's Avatar
    dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    5,135
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lordofthemark View Post
    Failing to yield to oncoming traffic is not illegal? Would striping a no passing line where the pass is blind address that? Shouldn't we have that anyway, if people are getting away without liability for blind passes (because even if a human powered biker or ped hit by someone doing a blind pass is doing nothing illegal, they still would need to show the passer is legally at fault to get anything right?) ?
    Where is there a law about failure to yield on a trail? Certainly on a road, but I've never seen one on a trail.

    If you had a collision where both people were actually legally, but one was being unreasonable (like a pass on a blind curve), then liability would be clear. It's the fact that one party is acting illegally that changes the analysis.

    To the suggestion that we codified the rules of the trail (i.e. change them from "rules" to "laws") I am strongly against that. Criminalizing behavior leaves room for abuse in enforcement, so we should be selective in what we criminalize. With cars, the risk of serious injury and death are quite well documented, so I'm fine with laws (and think they should be more strictly enforced universally). But on the trails, I'm ok with influencing behavior through well-crafted and -communicated rules and education efforts. (Though I agree that we need more of both).

  8. #696
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Alexandria to NOMA
    Posts
    803
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Awww Yissss!!

    Finally, normal people are riding e-bikes! Just yesterday I saw a nice fellow riding an Icon e-Flyer on the MVT!!!

    http://iconelectricbike.com/

    3500w Race Mode, FTW! That'll easily make all of our bike/ped infrastructure headaches disappear!

    Let's see if we can get him signed up for some WABA safe 3500w-cycling classes.

    edit: I actually chatted with the guy while riding, because i'm a gear head and icon makes some sweet, lust-worthy FJ40 replicas. he wasn't wearing a helmet, but i didn't want to get into that ball of wax. nice guy, and he was out on his first actual ride on the motorcycle.
    Last edited by Harry Meatmotor; 10-04-2017 at 06:19 PM.

  9. #697
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    78
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Meatmotor View Post
    I saw a nice fellow riding an Icon e-Flyer on the MVT!!!http://iconelectricbike.com/
    Electric motorcycles with similar styling are Vintage. Not my cup of tea. I'm unsure where electric motorcycles are legal unless they are built to confirm with NHTSA federal motor vehicle safety standards and have a VIN number stamped on the frame. They're not ebikes because those are defined federally as 750W and locally as 1,000W VA, 500W MD.
    Last edited by Dewey; 10-05-2017 at 08:00 AM.

  10. Likes dasgeh liked this post
  11. #698
    TwoWheelsDC's Avatar
    TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Capitol Hill
    Posts
    3,477
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dewey View Post
    Electric motorcycles with similar styling are Vintage. Not my cup of tea. I'm unsure where electric motorcycles are legal unless they are built to confirm with NHTSA federal motor vehicle safety standards and have a VIN number stamped on the frame. They're not ebikes because those are defined federally as 750W and locally as 1,000W VA, 500W MD.
    This would be a motorcycle as far as I can tell, which would require registration, insurance, and a motorcycle endorsement on one's drivers license. 3500 watts is well above the moped threshold in VA, which is max 1500W. In DC the moped max power is 1.5 horsepower....3500 watts is nearly 5hp.

  12. Likes dasgeh liked this post
  13. #699
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Madison Manor
    Posts
    955
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Meatmotor View Post
    Awww Yissss!!

    Finally, normal people are riding e-bikes! Just yesterday I saw a nice fellow riding an Icon e-Flyer on the MVT!!!

    http://iconelectricbike.com/

    3500w Race Mode, FTW! That'll easily make all of our bike/ped infrastructure headaches disappear!

    Let's see if we can get him signed up for some WABA safe 3500w-cycling classes.

    edit: I actually chatted with the guy while riding, because i'm a gear head and icon makes some sweet, lust-worthy FJ40 replicas. he wasn't wearing a helmet, but i didn't want to get into that ball of wax. nice guy, and he was out on his first actual ride on the motorcycle.
    Wait, based on this thread I thought that parents with children and the physically challenged would be the only ones on e-bikes.

  14. Likes hozn liked this post
  15. #700
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Alexandria to NOMA
    Posts
    803
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dewey View Post
    Electric motorcycles with similar styling are Vintage. Not my cup of tea. I'm unsure where electric motorcycles are legal unless they are built to confirm with NHTSA federal motor vehicle safety standards and have a VIN number stamped on the frame. They're not ebikes because those are defined federally as 750W and locally as 1,000W VA, 500W MD.
    I'm pretty sure most companies importing the 3kW motorcycles require the buyer to sign a waiver; somethingsomethingoffroaduseonlysomethingsomething . The good news, tho, is you can grab the 72v/84v hub/wheel kits on eBay for less than $500.

    Me personally? I'm waiting for 5kW and $200; maybe by 2019?

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •