Page 64 of 97 FirstFirst ... 1454626364656674 ... LastLast

Thread: e-Bikes - Let's talk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dasgeh View Post
    As a note, most German autobahns now have speed limits, because Germans are human too. Their drivers are better educated, and they do have more serious penalties for violating traffic laws.
    Either you don't know much about the German autobahn or you're being a little disingenuous, because the origin of the speed limits there have little to do with what you're insinuating.

Post Thanks / Like

The problem is the behavior, not the tool, and we can address the behavior.
    As proven by, um ... help me out here - where have we heard it before?

hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DSalovesh View Post
    I'm pretty sure it was this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsN0...youtu.be&t=35s

4. 09-29-2017, 01:33 PM

Post Thanks / Like

What are you talking about? What negative externalities does a long-haul ebike have that a bike doesn't have?
    I'm talking about MUPs full of Gearcrushers.

hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthemark View Post
    My sense it that some people are questioning whether it will be possible for LE to distinguish Cat 3 ebikes from others.
    I think people are just questioning whether that would be realistic here. There is clearly much tighter control over bike/moped in [parts of] Europe (and sounds like maybe in China). (Apparently there's a subset of people that have secret switches to increase the power of their mopeds [requiring lesser license] to disguise the true speed of their vehicles from law enforcement -- so obviously not infallible, but LE are checking on these things there.) You probably have to introduce some sort of registration system for bikes, though, to do this effectively w/ e-bikes. Yeah, probably not going to happen here.

mstone is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hozn View Post
    I think people are just questioning whether that would be realistic here.
    I don't think it's even a question. LE will not devote resources to this. If problems rise to the level of widespread complaints they'll bring down a big/broad hammer, but there's zero chance they'll be training beat cops on how to assess what class an ebike falls into. So we'll see the usual pattern of bad behavior, followed by a dragnet that catches a bunch of lesser offenders in order to "do something", without any real mechanism to address the truly bad behavior.

8. Likes hozn liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It does sound like Virginia might be well advised to clarify distinctions among different classes of ebikes, as this would give local jurisdictions more options in the future as ebikes become more widespread.
    Yes please, also the District of Columbia and Maryland. California in 2015 introduced its 3-tier classification scheme for e-bikes, since adopted by Tennessee, Utah, Arkansas, Colorado, and Illinois, and it's under consideration by Ohio, Michigan and Wisconsin. The legislative push is being led by the Bicycle Product Suppliers Association and PeopleForBikes Coalition. I agree more nuance would help.
    Last edited by Dewey; 09-29-2017 at 03:35 PM.

10. Likes lordofthemark liked this post
    dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DSalovesh View Post
    But ebikes aren't guns. Ebikes get people places. And don't kill people.

12. Likes Dewey liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mstone View Post
    I don't think it's even a question. LE will not devote resources to this. If problems rise to the level of widespread complaints they'll bring down a big/broad hammer, but there's zero chance they'll be training beat cops on how to assess what class an ebike falls into. So we'll see the usual pattern of bad behavior, followed by a dragnet that catches a bunch of lesser offenders in order to "do something", without any real mechanism to address the truly bad behavior.
    All of that is correct, so what's the policy should we follow. Ban all ebikes from trails, because of this amorphous, unproven conjecture? Or let more people use our trails, taking more cars off the road, putting more cyclists in drivers line of sight, increasing safety for all on bikes?

Post Thanks / Like

Due to a recent rise in electric-bicycle-related accidents, caused mostly by inexperienced riders who ride on the wrong side of the road, run red lights, don't use headlights at night etc.[/B]
    That sounds like what the naysayers thought would happen with bikeshare. Those are speed-related causes.