Results 1,001 to 1,010 of 1153

Thread: e-Bikes - Let's talk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    They launched e-bikes recently too.
    As Iím from England I chuckled they chose to call them Lime-E

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by anomad View Post
    How in the heck do dockless e-scooters get charged? I wonder if they'll ever be like those robotic vacuum cleaners?
    I think I read they are collected from the streets of Santa Monica every night and the batteries swapped out. But I like your thinking, it’s one use for those robot coolers that trundle around Georgetown, wait how would the robot get recharged...must rethink.

Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dewey View Post
    As I’m from England I chuckled they chose to call them Lime-E
    I'm tired of all of those other dockless scooters causing scurvy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthemark View Post
    Current laws limit ebikes in ways that are problematic to law abiding ebike users - currently for example there is no legal way to ride them across the Potomac from NoVa to or from DC.
    I have to ask... Why can you not ride an e-bike across Key Bridge in the standard travel lanes? I can ride a regular bike there and I can drive a car there (though I never would), so why not an e-bike? One could also say the same about Memorial Bridge... Correct? So what is it that differentiates an e-bike in those situations? Sure, it might not be as comfortable as riding the trail across, but it is not illegal, unless I am missing something.

(Not that I am necessarily against e-bikes as transportation vehicles. More people on bikes is usually a good thing, as long as they are not jerks. I am just curious as to why lotm seems to think there is no legal way to get across the Potomac for e-bikes as the law currently stands.)

lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sunyata View Post
    I have to ask... Why can you not ride an e-bike across Key Bridge in the standard travel lanes? I can ride a regular bike there and I can drive a car there (though I never would), so why not an e-bike? One could also say the same about Memorial Bridge... Correct? So what is it that differentiates an e-bike in those situations? Sure, it might not be as comfortable as riding the trail across, but it is not illegal, unless I am missing something.

(Not that I am necessarily against e-bikes as transportation vehicles. More people on bikes is usually a good thing, as long as they are not jerks. I am just curious as to why lotm seems to think there is no legal way to get across the Potomac for e-bikes as the law currently stands.)
    Pardon, I misremembered an earlier discussion way upthread. Both Key Bridge and Memorial Bridge general travel lanes are legal for ebike users. And probably not that uncomfortable for class 3 ebikes, and for the stronger and more confident class 1 ebike riders (especially if the latter are not hauling a trailer).

As a policy proposal, I would like to see a legal sidepath route for Class 1 ebikes across the river near downtown. Assuming we DO get a wide sidepath on the new Long Bridge, that would be the best place. In the absence of that, I would want a crossing on at least one of the others.

I would continue to ban class 3 ebikes from the sidepaths on the bridges to downtown. I would allow them on the Wilson Bridge sidepath, as there is no other direct route from Alexandria to PG, and they are not allowed in the general travel lanes on that bridge. (Changing the rulesa about bikes on the water taxi might be an alternative though)

lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    Alls I know is that them Jump bikes are pretty fun to ride. The current offer code for anyone that wants to get some experience riding a pedelec to help form their arguments that e-bikes are great or evil is JUMP4WABA
    I have ridden ebikes on the flat, around Hains Point, but I feel to really evaluate them better, I need to ride up some hills. AFAIK Jump bikes are not supposed to be taken out of the District. Can you suggest a hill in the District, of the sort where I would be absolutely uncomfortable riding a human powered bike with following traffic (note I am weak on hills) but where a Jump bike would make all the difference?

Post Thanks / Like

I have ridden ebikes on the flat, around Hains Point, but I feel to really evaluate them better, I need to ride up some hills. AFAIK Jump bikes are not supposed to be taken out of the District. Can you suggest a hill in the District, of the sort where I would be absolutely uncomfortable riding a human powered bike with following traffic (note I am weak on hills) but where a Jump bike would make all the difference?
    Here are a couple in Rock Creek Park that fit the bill

Tilden Street - This has a bike lane
    Ridge Road - Currently closed to cars as part of the Beach Drive Rehabilitation project
    Ross Drive - Also closed to cars

hozn is online now I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sunyata View Post

I assume that the argument is simply that it's less comfortable. I've ridden across key bridge many, many times. And memorial bridge once. But if the argument for the high-output e-bikes is that they can go fast to blend into traffic, I say that's a two-sided coin and am all for them getting to use that special privilege to ride with cars in the road across the bridges

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hozn View Post
    I assume that the argument is simply that it's less comfortable. I've ridden across key bridge many, many times. And memorial bridge once. But if the argument for the high-output e-bikes is that they can go fast to blend into traffic, I say that's a two-sided coin and am all for them getting to use that special privilege to ride with cars in the road across the bridges
    Really? Given that a large portion of the early adopters of e-bikes have been family bikers, you're all for forcing people with kids on their cargo bikes on the Memorial and Key Bridges?

I ride on Lee Hwy daily, and I would not ride on Memorial Bridge in the travel lanes (except when closed to cars - then it's awesome). There are probably times I'd be ok on Key, but not the majority of the time.

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Pardon, I misremembered an earlier discussion way upthread. Both Key Bridge and Memorial Bridge general travel lanes are legal for ebike users. And probably not that uncomfortable for class 3 ebikes, and for the stronger and more confident class 1 ebike riders (especially if the latter are not hauling a trailer).

As a policy proposal, I would like to see a legal sidepath route for Class 1 ebikes across the river near downtown. Assuming we DO get a wide sidepath on the new Long Bridge, that would be the best place. In the absence of that, I would want a crossing on at least one of the others.

I would continue to ban class 3 ebikes from the sidepaths on the bridges to downtown. I would allow them on the Wilson Bridge sidepath, as there is no other direct route from Alexandria to PG, and they are not allowed in the general travel lanes on that bridge. (Changing the rulesa about bikes on the water taxi might be an alternative though)
    Why force a huge detour on ebike riders? That's just going to push more people off of bikes and into cars (making the city less safe for people on bikes) or have more people ignore the law.