Likes Likes:  1,149
Dislikes Dislikes:  13
ELITE ELITE:  42
Page 37 of 133 FirstFirst ... 2735363738394787 ... LastLast

Thread: e-Bikes - Let's talk

ShawnoftheDread is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hozn View Post

I hate the e-bike ad campaign that says that busy lives need faster bikes. It's backwards.
    Busy bikes need faster lives?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    I'm for banning both fast people and slow people on the trails. You can get under the bell curve or you can get out!
    Striking before BentBike33 has a chance, the fast people and slow people are still under the bell curve - just further out under the tails.

ShawnoftheDread is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dbb View Post
    Striking before BentBike33 has a chance, the fast people and slow people are still under the bell curve - just further out under the tails.
    Well if that's how we're going to be, no one is under the bell curve - they're all collectively forming it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hozn View Post
    This argument makes no sense to me. If I had an e-bike and could average 28mph, I could work out in Leesburg without making my commute much longer. Is that really my right?
    Average speed and level cruising speed are not the same.
    A 28mph level cruising speed is an average speed of about 19mph.
    The rest of your point isn't valid because your data is bogus.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dbb View Post
    We definitely need to keep economists off bike trails, especially if they are going to point out how bell curves work and insist on riding recliners with wheels attached to them. That's probably dangerous. A recumbent bike can easily reach 30 miles per hour on the Custis Trail while their rider is taking a nap.

Post Thanks / Like

Can we make a trade where we allow some eBikes on the trail but get to set the ELF on fire and throw it in the Potomac?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dasgeh View Post
    C'mon. Entitlement? Many of us did the legal research, found it unclear, even discussed it with the police (July ABAC meeting - they said the law was unclear, which to them means no ban to enforce), and thus make informed decisions on how and where we ride currently. And now we're saying the better public policy for everyone on bikes and using trails is to change the laws and how trails are built so that ebikes are legal and bad behavior is illegal and discouragesd as much as possible. That's not entitlement.

If there's any entitlement in this debate, it's the people who are able to ride at high speeds for long distances on non-ebikes saying they should be allowed on the trails, but that we should ban the ebikes that enable others to do the same.

I researched the laws before buying an e-bike. The law is very clear in virginia. An e-bike is not a motorized vehicle unless it can travel more than 28 mph assisted or has more than a 750 watt motor. Because of the way virginia law works, a local jurisdiction can not over rule that. The "Motorized Vehicle" is a legal statement. I have also talked to law enforcement personnel in my town (Vienna). There is no ambiguity in virginia.

americancyclo is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthemark View Post
    If we allow ebikes, do we have to allow segues?
    We allow segues all the time here. Isn't that what most of this thread is?

americancyclo is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dhs1963 View Post
    Because of the way virginia law works, a local jurisdiction can not over rule that.
    I thought it was the opposite. That's why the City of Falls Church can ticket you for running a stop sign on a trail even though it's not illegal in the VA Code.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by americancyclo View Post
    I thought it was the opposite. That's why the City of Falls Church can ticket you for running a stop sign on a trail even though it's not illegal in the VA Code.

Only if the commonwealth has allowed the local jurisdiction to do it. By default, they can not.

I do not know about stop signs in falls church -- I assumed it was a state law.