Likes Likes:  1,150
Dislikes Dislikes:  13
ELITE ELITE:  42
Page 45 of 134 FirstFirst ... 3543444546475595 ... LastLast

Thread: e-Bikes - Let's talk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dasgeh View Post
    I would fully support adding ebikes to the CaBi fleet, just like Baltimore's bikeshare
    The technology used in the Baltimore & Birmingham, AL, systems is the Dyname, that uses a flywheel and belt drive separate from the chain and gears. I think the Quebec manufacturer eVox is a subsidiary of Miele - interesting that two German washing machine companies Bosch and Miele with their experience designing motors are into ebikes - I must tell the WashCycle blog there's got to be a joke/pun in there somewhere. A new light weight shaft drive motor from China's Bafang is also designed for the bikeshare market.

Ebikes may be a non-option for Capital Bikeshare until the confusing and contradictory local regulations concerning Class 1 pedelecs are harmonized, as you pointed out earlier cyclists would not accept bikeshare ebikes would not be permitted on any sidewalks, bridge paths, or off-street trails in the District, but would be permitted on all sidewalks and some trails (but not others) in VA & MD. I'm picturing a tourist family standing at a mixed ebike/non-ebike bikeshare dock...
    Last edited by Dewey; 08-11-2017 at 03:17 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnoftheDread View Post
    What about being a joke on the forum? Asking for a friend.
    It's really a case of the forum replicating real life.

But in all seriousness, Subby is probably the most likeable person I've met.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dbb View Post
    Everybody should be aware that we need to say what needs to be said regarding e-bikes by 5 Nov 2017 (shift off daylight savings time), at which time we will shift to the regularly scheduled debate about bike lights on the trails that are too bright/annoyingly flashy/poorly aimed/not used.

Thank you.
    Just wanted to point out your gross oversight, here. You obviously don't know much about calendars.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Meatmotor View Post
    Just wanted to point out your gross oversight, here. You obviously don't know much about calendars.
    Any list of things I don't know much about would be pretty long.
    Last edited by dbb; 08-11-2017 at 02:44 PM.

americancyclo is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dbb View Post
    Everybody should be aware that we need to say what needs to be said regarding e-bikes by 5 Nov 2017 (shift off daylight savings time), at which time we will shift to the regularly scheduled debate about bike lights on the trails that are too bright/annoyingly flashy/poorly aimed/not used.

Thank you.
    Won't someone think of the ninja joggers?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by americancyclo View Post
    Won't someone think of the ninja joggers?
    Could we throw them hi-viz/reflective velcro bands in our wake like mardi gras beads?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dewey View Post
    Could we throw them hi-viz/reflective velcro bands in our wake like mardi gras beads?
    It would probably be more effective to shoot ninjas in the garments with paintballs filled with quick-drying indelible reflective paint.

The flaw in this plan, of course, is you can't hit what you can't see.
    Last edited by bentbike33; 08-11-2017 at 03:54 PM. Reason: Flaw detected.

rcannon100 is offline Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bentbike33 View Post
    The flaw in this plan, of course, is you can't hit what you can't see.
    Actually, I find that I do a relatively good job hitting things I dont see.

lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dewey View Post
    The technology used in the Baltimore & Birmingham, AL, systems is the Dyname, that uses a flywheel and belt drive separate from the chain and gears. I think the Quebec manufacturer eVox is a subsidiary of Miele - interesting that two German washing machine companies Bosch and Miele with their experience designing motors are into ebikes - I must tell the WashCycle blog there's got to be a joke/pun in there somewhere. A new light weight shaft drive motor from China's Bafang is also designed for the bikeshare market.

Ebikes may be a non-option for Capital Bikeshare until the confusing and contradictory local regulations concerning Class 1 pedelecs are harmonized, as you pointed out earlier cyclists would not accept bikeshare ebikes would not be permitted on any sidewalks, bridge paths, or off-street trails in the District, but would be permitted on all sidewalks and some trails (but not others) in VA & MD. I'm picturing a tourist family standing at a mixed ebike/non-ebike bikeshare dock...
    Just as a reminder, ALL bikes, however powered, are banned on sidewalks on King Street east of West Street in Old Town Alexandria, and on Union between Cameron and Prince.

10. 08-11-2017, 09:51 PM

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthemark View Post
    ...MVT from 4MRT to the 14th street bridge (which as it happens, is a place where ebikes are currently banned, and which I consider problematic for fast riding in general.
    Wait, wait, wait.... ebikes are banned on the MVT? Then how come I periodically get passed by a dude on an ebike on that stretch?

To be fair, compared to some prior experience, he passes pretty responsibly and is lit up like a Christmas tree as well.