Page 49 of 57 FirstFirst ... 394748495051 ... LastLast

Thread: e-Bikes - Let's talk

Post Thanks / Like

I've got elderly friends who like e-bikes because they can still enjoy riding and occasionally have a brake on steep slopes or just when they get tired, though I personally almost drove right into the wall right after I sat. Hope they won't get to make a driverless bike (though there are plans to do driverless motorbikes and even mobile homes https://tranio.com/world/spotlight/s...y-market_5354/ ) But it all just kills the joy imho

2. Likes huskerdont, dasgeh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

No way you'd be able to tell the new Orbeas are eBikes.

http://www.roadbikereview.com/review...gravel-e-bikes

Do not like. If you're getting e-assist, you should be made to look like it with some embarrassingly large clunky thing, preferably in some color that you'd normally only find in dried puke along the sidewalk on a Sunday morning.

Post Thanks / Like

I had riders on e-bikes behind me on two different up-hills on the Custis yesterday. Both waited until oncoming traffic cleared, both rang their bells, pass politely and both actually looked like they were exerting a little effort and actually PEDALING up the hill.

Although I saw last week an e-biker flying by me with an Iron Man tattoo on his right calf. Brought to mind that scene from Sons of Anarchy where they removed one guy's gang tattoos with a belt sander or an iron (can't remember the tool) after he was kicked out of their club.
    Last edited by Tania; 09-12-2017 at 11:09 AM.

5. Likes Sunyata, hozn, dasgeh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by huskerdont View Post
    If you're getting e-assist, you should be made to look like it with some embarrassingly large clunky thing, preferably in some color that you'd normally only find in dried puke along the sidewalk on a Sunday morning.
    Or be required to wear a Hawaiian shirt and flip-flops (or Wellies in cold weather).

Definitely no manufacturers' team kit.

7. Likes Steve O, huskerdont liked this post
    hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by huskerdont View Post
    No way you'd be able to tell the new Orbeas are eBikes.

http://www.roadbikereview.com/review...gravel-e-bikes

Do not like. If you're getting e-assist, you should be made to look like it with some embarrassingly large clunky thing, preferably in some color that you'd normally only find in dried puke along the sidewalk on a Sunday morning.
    It doesn't matter. They wouldn't be welcome in road-bike group rides -- and obviously can't race. If someone just wants a better looking e-bike, then this certainly fits the bill. If someone really wants to pretend they're faster than they are for some sort of cat6 competition, the only loser in that scenario is the one on the e-bike.

9. Likes dasgeh, Subby liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tania View Post
    Although I saw last week an e-biker flying by me with an Iron Man tattoo on his right calf. Brought to mind that scene from Sons of Anarchy where they removed one guy's gang tattoos with a belt sander or an iron (can't remember the tool) after he was kicked out of their club.
    If you're gonna ride, ride with your tats on to be in my head on the ride home now.

Post Thanks / Like

I totally don't get what market Orbea is going for here. This one's a head scratcher.

12. Likes hozn liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crickey7 View Post
    I totally don't get what market Orbea is going for here. This one's a head scratcher.

From the site: "And what if this bicycle is also SEXY?"

They're going for people that want a sexy bike. And also don't want people to know that they're cheating.

14. Likes huskerdont liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Saw my first kitted-up e-biker this week. So I think there might be a market for the well-concealed ebike.

16. Likes huskerdont liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hozn View Post
    It doesn't matter. They wouldn't be welcome in road-bike group rides -- and obviously can't race. If someone just wants a better looking e-bike, then this certainly fits the bill. If someone really wants to pretend they're faster than they are for some sort of cat6 competition, the only loser in that scenario is the one on the e-bike.
    I had my first taste of telling someone they could not join in on a group mountain bike ride because they were on an e-bike a couple of weeks ago. That was an interesting conversation...