Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: e-Bikes - Let's talk

Post Thanks / Like

Default e-Bikes - Let's talk

I see a number of pros and cons to e-bikes, and I'd like to get a conversation going on that topic. Any other e-Bike users out there? What do you like about it? Anyone with concerns about e-Bikes? Let's hear from you too! Please be nice, though!

jrenaut is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't mean to be rude, but are you a spambot?

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum, eBikeDude. I don't think anyone has mentioned e-bikes yet, but I'm sure everyone will be nice if they have anything to say.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrenaut View Post
    I don't mean to be rude, but are you a spambot?
    I'm pretty sure that's not the case.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, where's the popcorn icon?

Post Thanks / Like

I have a thought on e-bikes. Namely, that they, just like gas-powered mopeds or any other motorized vehicle, do not belong on the trails.
    It's already dangerous enough with people who occasionally outstrip their skill-level and commonsense on downhills. No need to exacerbate things.

Greenbelt is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

There was a pretty well-commented thread from a DC-area e-biker on a liberal political blog a few days ago (most of the comments bike oriented, not political):
    http://www.dailykos.com/story/2011/0...e-to-work-days

My two cents is that if e-bikers only use the motor for hill climbing, not to buzz past pedestrians and regular bikes on the flats, we should give them a chance on the trails. Of course, the trails in my area aren't too crowded, so my two cents might not be valid elsewhere.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greenbelt View Post
    There was a pretty well-commented thread from a DC-area e-biker on a liberal political blog a few days ago (most of the comments bike oriented, not political):
    http://www.dailykos.com/story/2011/0...e-to-work-days

My two cents is that if e-bikers only use the motor for hill climbing, not to buzz past pedestrians and regular bikes on the flats, we should give them a chance on the trails. Of course, the trails in my area aren't too crowded, so my two cents might not be valid elsewhere.
    In Virginia it is illegal to ride any motorized vehicle on a trail or sidewalk.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OneEighth View Post
    I have a thought on e-bikes. Namely, that they, just like gas-powered mopeds or any other motorized vehicle, do not belong on the trails.
    It's already dangerous enough with people who occasionally outstrip their skill-level and commonsense on downhills. No need to exacerbate things.
    They're already not allowed on the W&OD. "No motorized vehicles" applies to them also.

Personal opinion is that if you're too farking lazy to pedal that you need an eBike then Metro is the thing for you.

Post Thanks / Like

At risk of venturing an opinion on a topic about which I know very little (so what else is new on the Internet!):

I don't see too many eBikes in DC -- just the occasional messenger or delivery person. I've seen more of them in Manhattan -- again, usually delivery people.

Have not seen this, but I have heard of people putting a small motor on a cargo bike -- especially helpful for when a mom is carrying a couple of kids plus gear and groceries and lives in a hilly place. I wouldn't have a problem with this application because a family on a bike, even with a small motor, is preferable to a family in an SUV in my estimation.

My brother in law built his own eBike -- he lives close to work, but home is at the bottom of a big hill and work is at the top. Plus he is an engineer/gadget guy who likes to make stuff.

As others have said, they are not allowed on the local trails. I think that's a good call considering how congested the trails are already.

Liz