Likes Likes:  6
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Long Bridge Park: Technically not a bike trail, sort of

Post Thanks / Like

I attended the County Board Open Door session at Thomas Jefferson Community Center last night to bring up the Long Bridge Park connector, as well as to voice support for all County efforts with regard to cycling improvements and trail maintenance. Chris Zimmerman was the board member at the meeting and said he was fully on board with the Long Bridge connector, but that they needed NPS to work with them to make it happen. Went in full cycling gear, since it was right after my commute. I was the only person there advocating for cycling. I think we should try to attend all of these open door meetings.

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Arlingtonrider View Post
    I attended the County Board Open Door session at Thomas Jefferson Community Center last night to bring up the Long Bridge Park connector, as well as to voice support for all County efforts with regard to cycling improvements and trail maintenance. Chris Zimmerman was the board member at the meeting and said he was fully on board with the Long Bridge connector, but that they needed NPS to work with them to make it happen. Went in full cycling gear, since it was right after my commute. I was the only person there advocating for cycling. I think we should try to attend all of these open door meetings.
    Where do we find the schedule?

Post Thanks / Like

The "Open Door Mondays" schedule is accessible from the home page of the county website, www.arlingtonva.us
    (from the rotating feature). They're going to be held each Monday in different parts of the county on a rotating schedule, and are a great chance to speak with board members one-on-one. They're also a good opportunity to make friends of people who have concerns in common with us. For example, some of the people there last night expressed concern about cars speeding on 2nd street, an issue that affects cyclists as well.

PotomacCyclist is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

A research fellow with NPS will work to coordinate safety improvements on the MVT for the next seven months. At a recent Arlington BAC meeting, Tim Bevins said that the environmental assessment was an issue for the MVT connector. The WashCycle had a post about it.

I wasn't at the meeting so I don't know what the exact problem is.

http://www.thewashcycle.com/2012/01/...non-trail.html

A Draft Environmental Impact Statement (DEIS) for the 14th Street Bridge Corridor was released last month. It includes two options for an MVT connector. One is a shorter connector with a looped ramp down to the MVT. Another option is for a bike trail along the entire Long Bridge, from the park to D.C. That would also include a side path down to the MVT before the trail continues over to East Potomac Park.

I don't think there are any timelines included in the DEIS. I'm also unsure whether this DEIS is the same document that Bevins referred to. It could be.

http://www.thewashcycle.com/2012/02/...et-bridge.html

Either of the proposed MVT connectors would be very nice for Arlington and D.C. cyclists. If Arlington goes ahead with Phase II of the park, then maybe work can also be done on an MVT connector. At the very least, they could work on the shorter connector. Then if and when the entire Long Bridge is overhauled to upgrade it for high-speed train service, then perhaps a bike trail could be added on the upstream side. (There have been discussions about such upgrades to Long Bridge and the rail network.)

KLizotte is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Arlington, VA by way of MA and London, UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JustinW View Post
    Broad public support is the most important key to convincing the Board to include the needed funding this year You can help. Please join the other park constituencies in a mass showing at the next Arlington County Board meeting this Saturday, Feb 11, starting promptly at 8:30 am in the County Board room (third floor of the County office building - 2100 Clarendon Blvd. - free parking - for both cars *and* bikes - in the basement).
    Are you sure about this? I don't see it listed on the County's agenda for this Saturday. See http://arlington.granicus.com/Genera...2&event_id=479

I just want to be sure they are going to discuss this issue before I get out of bed early on Saturday (any time before 10:00 is simply painful to me).

Post Thanks / Like

I hear ya on the hour-of-day-on-a-Saturday issue.

The LBP part should be covered in the public comment period that starts @ 8:30am. All of the lovely items (1-23) on the agenda are part of the Consent Items period that starts @ 9am.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Biker's breakfast?

Are there any good places to get breakfast near Courthouse Plaza after the LBP part early Saturday? It's pretty hard for people (especially those named Kathy) get up and out that early on a weekend, and some extra incentive might help!

Kathy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Arlingtonrider View Post
    Are there any good places to get breakfast near Courthouse Plaza after the LBP part early Saturday? It's pretty hard for people (especially those named Kathy) get up and out that early on a weekend, and some extra incentive might help!

Kathy
    Brooklyn Bagel at Courthouse and Wilson is pretty good, they make a mean egg sandwich. They're cash only so be prepared.

Post Thanks / Like

Breakfast at Bayou Bakery tomorrow morning, anyone? I've been wanting to try this place, and a friend reminded me that it is near Courthouse plaza, where we need to have a group together from 8:30 to 9 a.m. to support the Long Bridge park connection. Anyone up for making it a social event after the LBP issue?

p.s. Thanks for the suggestion, Dave K, but I've been waiting to try Bayou Bakery and didn't realize that it was so close to Courthouse Plaza.
    Last edited by Arlingtonrider; 02-10-2012 at 11:31 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Bayou is a good option (try their hot chocolate - high impact!), and usually District Taco has a cart outside that features yummy breakfast burritos. I'm trying to figure out which option is best for me to use to "incentivize" my daughter to attend the Board meeting as well....