Likes Likes:  35
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  2
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Strava and Competitive Cyclist will pay you to ride your bike

americancyclo is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Strava and Competitive Cyclist will pay you to ride your bike

A new thread for what is sure to be a fun topic. I've pasted some text from the Competitive Cyclist webpage about this.

post your experiences, questions, big data fears, and what kind of gear you get!
    How it works

Sync your Strava account with your Competitive Cyclist account from this page or your My Account page. If you don’t already have an account, you'll need to create one. You will start to accrue credits once you’ve linked your accounts.
    Each credit is worth $1.00 towards any purchase and may not be redeemed for cash. You can always check your balance in My Account on Competitive Cyclist.

• Each hour ridden is worth $1.00 in store credit, in half-hour increments. So, a 1:45 minute ride would receive $1.50
    • Credits will be deposited into your Competitive Cyclist account within 24 hours
    • Credits will expire at 11:59pm MT on the last day of the following month. For example, credits earned for a ride in March will expire on April 30th
    • You can receive up to 40 credits per month
    • Credits are non-transferable
    • Multiple credits can be combined when placing an order
    • Time is measured in moving time
    • Manual entries do not count
    • Only the Strava activity of ‘cycling’ will count
    • Activity completed prior to syncing accounts does not count

It also seems like there is a tie in to the competitivecyclist.com review system where you can "back up your claims" by showing how much you ride according to Strava when you post reviews on competitivecyclist.com

Make It Known

Riding gives you fun, fitness, and adventure, and now you can add credibility to that list. By highlighting how much you've been riding on your user profile, you can back up every community interaction with the knowledge that you've been putting in the miles, and you know what you're talking about.

Steve O is offline 5000+ Posts? The first step to beating addiction is admitting you have one.
    Post Thanks / Like

I checked my Strava account, and it shows Jan - 37 hours; Feb - 37 hours; Mar - 36 hours.

However, I think that the way CC has it set up will result in fewer credits, if I'm reading it right. Each ride is counted individually, and rounded down to the last 1/2 hour. We'll see, I guess.

americancyclo is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    I checked my Strava account, and it shows Jan - 37 hours; Feb - 37 hours; Mar - 36 hours.

However, I think that the way CC has it set up will result in fewer credits, if I'm reading it right. Each ride is counted individually, and rounded down to the last 1/2 hour. We'll see, I guess.
    I also think it only counts from the time you connect the accounts forward, so you shouldn't get any credit for rides earlier this year.

I got full $1.00 credits for two rides that were 55 min and 51 min moving time. time to start loading up the CC wishlist!

40 hrs is a full month of bike commuting every day for me. I'll be curious to see if all my little rides under an hour add up as well, or if it's only rides over a certain threshold.

Post Thanks / Like

Finally an app that will reward me for riding slowly, ha.

Looks good though. Interested to see how it works. Could be a neat charity type tie-in idea too.

Post Thanks / Like

This seems too good to be true. I signed up the other day and have $17 in credit which it says expires on June 1. I put something in my cart and it easily applied the full $17.

Wow.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sethpo View Post
    This seems too good to be true. I signed up the other day and have $17 in credit which it says expires on June 1. I put something in my cart and it easily applied the full $17.

Wow.
    It applies the full credit? I was just assuming it was sort of gimmicky. In that case, I've got to up my time to get the full $40 worth to buy a new pair of gatorskins for my road bike. They show $54 and if I could do a month of good cycling weather as it warms up then I would get them for $14 plus shipping? That would be amazing.

ShawnoftheDread is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Now the question is, how long do I wait before buying what I want? Wait for full credits to get it for free and risk it being either sold out or the price going up, or just long enough to make the item a really good deal?

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

So now I wish I had been strava'ing since the end of BAFS...

Though I suspect my 25 minute commute will work against me. :-(

TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

My account shows Strava activity, but says it can't show my credits right now due to some technical glitch. Also, no credits applied when I add something to my cart...whatevs....

hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dasgeh View Post
    So now I wish I had been strava'ing since the end of BAFS...

Though I suspect my 25 minute commute will work against me. :-(
    It doesn't count any rides retroactively; so as soon as you click "connect" it will start counting rides you do after that. It sounds like it might count your 25-minute commute as 1/2 hour. And you can always find ways to stretch your commute. :-)

I love the idea that CC could know the gear I buy, how many miles I'm riding on what types of surfaces and what types of environmental conditions (rain, dark, etc.), which bikes I'm using, and could start sending me emails with discount codes for products that are either wearing out on my bikes or that they think I might benefit from.

This is a potential is vast. I can't believe other [notable?] vendors haven't done this sooner.