Likes Likes:  27
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Columbia Pike

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chris_s View Post
    How quickly we forget.
    Fair enough. The construction has been ongoing ever since I moved to Arlington, so I did not have a point of comparison pre-construction. Repaving aside, the design is worse for bicyclists now than it has been over the last two years.

Somehow I never noticed any lane control signage previously. I don't see the point of a time-dependent variable lane configuration at this location, and I think it is confusing and dangerous. What problem is VDOT trying to solve, that cannot be solved by choosing one of the two solutions full-time?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by elbows View Post
    I wait until 8 am in order to go through JBMHH in order to avoid biking east through this area.
    Are you waiting until 8 am in order to go through the cemetery? If the cemetery gate is closed, you can still go down McNair to Marshall, exit JBMHH through Wright Gate, and then take the 110 Trail to get back over to Memorial Bridge. Not as nice or as direct a ride as the cemetery route, but it is open earlier.

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scoot View Post
    Are you waiting until 8 am in order to go through the cemetery? If the cemetery gate is closed, you can still go down McNair to Marshall, exit JBMHH through Wright Gate, and then take the 110 Trail to get back over to Memorial Bridge. Not as nice or as direct a ride as the cemetery route, but it is open earlier.
    And if you're just trying to avoid the Pike, you can exit through the gate off of Southgate Road -- it puts you parallel to the Pike and is a nice ride down to Joyce.

PotomacCyclist is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

The new Freedman's Village Bridge was dedicated last week by Gov. McAuliffe.

https://www.arlnow.com/2015/09/10/go...dmans-village/

Although I don't ride through there often, I'm not sure I understand the complaints that it is worse now than it was before. During construction, the road and sidewalks were in horrendous shape. There were often detours, although some of those slowed overall traffic speeds so it wasn't always so bad. I ran into one of the construction ditches that the contractors cut into the road or sidewalk, with no warning signs anywhere. If I hadn't been riding on a CaBi bike, I might have flipped over the handlebars.

The rest of Columbia Pike could still use some improvement. Well, a lot of improvement. I would really hope that Arlington and DOD sort out the remaining issues for the proposed land swap on the eastern end of Columbia Pike. That could allow for construction of a decent paved trail along the eastern section of the Pike, from S. Joyce St. to the new bridge. There are no good bike routes from Pentagon City to points north and west. If the Columbia Pike path is built, then it could connect Pentagon City with the Washington Blvd. trail that will connect Columbia Pike with Clarendon. I think that trail is supposed to be built by the end of next year.

DismalScientist is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Southgate and Orme is a fine substitute for the Pike east of Wash Blvd. The real problem with the Pike is Wash Blvd to Courthouse, west of which there are calm side streets.

Post Thanks / Like

Agreed that Orme to Southgate is a much safer route. West and up the hill to Courthouse (and on to Walter Reed)... is on the schedule to be paved. I am still hoping it will done *this* year as "promised". That one step step will make the route a little safer.

Yet nearly *all* of the Pike is not safely ridable. Yet you see people doing so, out of necessity. The Bike Boulevards are good only as far as the streets exist, and not everyone knows about them.

My friends at Papillon Cycles would love to see a safer-to-ride Pike, and the developers and merchants who came here with the expectation of a streetcar route would benefit as well.

Improvements that "take the black off" the Pike on the Bicycle Comfort Level Map. Who's in?

PotomacCyclist is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

Southgate Rd. could be removed, depending on the specifics of the land swap between Arlington and DOD/Arlington Cemetery.

Previous plans showed the addition of wide paved bike paths on both sides of Columbia Pike, from S. Joyce St. to the new Washington Blvd. bridge. This was when the County was still planning to build the Columbia Pike streetcar. The Pike would have been straightened out along the Air Force Memorial hill.

With the streetcar canceled and the land swap still in limbo, it's anyone's guess what the eastern section of Columbia Pike will look like. But if the Army wants to use the former Navy Annex site for an expansion of the Cemetery, they will still remove Southgate Rd. after a land swap deal is finalized.

Nothing will happen in the short term. But eventually Southgate Rd. will probably be removed or closed to through traffic.