Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Columbia Pike

Post Thanks / Like

Default Columbia Pike

I live off Columbia Pike and have started biking to work downtown, but have to schlep over to N. Arlington and catch the Custis Trail, or over to the Four Mile Run trail to Mt. Vernon. Columbia Pike is simply not bike friendly, although once I get to the Pentagon, it's fine. Anyone have suggestions on how to cut THROUGH central Arlington, without having to go around the edges? It would be great to have bike lanes on Columbia Pike....

PotomacCyclist is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

Arlington is planning to build/designate "bike boulevards" on a couple streets that are parallel to Columbia Pike. But that probably won't happen right away.

Central Arlington isn't as bike-friendly as FMR and Custis/Wilson/Clarendon Blvd. I haven't even found any good north-south routes through that area, between Pentagon City and Clarendon/Court House. I'd be interested to hear if other people know about good routes.
    Last edited by PotomacCyclist; 06-20-2011 at 09:04 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Where are you on Columbia Pike? Can you pop up to Rt 50 and use that eastbound?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PotomacCyclist View Post
    Arlington is planning to build/designate "bike boulevards" on a couple streets that are parallel to Columbia Pike. But that probably won't happen right away.
    Even when they are done, traveling east, once you get to South Courthouse Road -- if you're using S 9th St -- you're back on Columbia Pike. I take that stretch, down to the Pentagon, every morning, but I am lucky enough to be riding while virtually everyone else is still asleep.

Quote Originally Posted by PotomacCyclist View Post
    Central Arlington isn't as bike-friendly as FMR and Custis/Wilson/Clarendon Blvd. I haven't even found any good north-south routes through that area, between Pentagon City and Clarendon/Court House. I'd be interested to here if other people know about good routes.
    I'd argue that once you get off designated trails, Arlington is not bike friendly at all. I have far more "problems" -- inattentive drivers, scooters in bike lanes, etc. -- riding in Arlington, than I do in D.C. To go north-south, I take a winding course through neighborhood streets, resigning myself to a trip that is longer than it needs to be.

Post Thanks / Like

To echo JustinW, where are you on Columbia Pike? Another option might be S 2nd St and through Fort Myer. While I don't go that way (and did not when I lived on S 2nd St), I know some people who do.

Post Thanks / Like

Columbia Pike will never be bike friendly. I rather like meandering north through neighborhood streets, up Irving usually, but it is time-consuming. It is once I get to 10th St N and Clarendon blvd that I have probs, but anyway...my husband rides through Ft Myer and loves it.

Post Thanks / Like

Agree with everything everyone's said. After 8 years of being car-less in various parts of Arlington, I think the Columbia Pike area is the worst for cyclists in Arlington. I wish the County cared.

The bike blvds are fine but they won't help with the worst sections.

Still haven't tried Ft Myer. I'm dreading the summer ending and traffic on the Pike picking up again. Among other things, the County school buses are a bit of a monster. In my opinion, the Pentagon isn't the end of the scary part, it's really just 27 where things get better.

americancyclo is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not super familiar with that area, but what about 18th st S to Army Navy Country Club Access Rd between S Glebe and Army Navy Dr? will that help at all or is that still too far out of the way?

Post Thanks / Like

Are cyclists allowed to ride on the Army Navy Access Road? That would help me avoid the worst part of Columbia Pike.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by elbows View Post
    Are cyclists allowed to ride on the Army Navy Access Road? That would help me avoid the worst part of Columbia Pike.
    Technically it's a private road that doesn't allow through traffic, but I've done it. It all depends who you do or don't run into on the way. It's a great shortcut.