Likes Likes:  392
Dislikes Dislikes:  3
ELITE ELITE:  35
Page 30 of 33 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: National Bike Challenge 2015-Washington Area All-Stars

Post Thanks / Like

Default They got us

Had a feeling Gainesville was holding out on us and waiting until today to log miles. Lo and behold... But still, a valiant effort by WAAS--we'll get them next year!

2. 09-30-2015, 05:26 PM

I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.

TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, I suppose if they hadn't sandbagged, they'd have just stayed out front the entire competition, so in the end the outcome seems the same either way.

Steve O is offline 5000+ Posts? The first step to beating addiction is admitting you have one.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by personabuena View Post
    Had a feeling Gainesville was holding out on us and waiting until today to log miles. Lo and behold... But still, a valiant effort by WAAS--we'll get them next year!
    It was delayed putting in new riders, not logging rides. They added 17 riders since earlier today.
    I have three days of rides to add this week. I don't think that will be enough.
    Last edited by Steve O; 09-30-2015 at 06:01 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Remember everyone! Anything can happen between now at 12:59pm!

On a personal spin (ha!), I couldn't be happier with this year's NBC. I managed to finish up the year with 2,300 miles-even!

Each year my goal has been to do a little better. Two years ago it was to just hit Gold, last year was to hit Platinum and 1,000 miles--and I ended up getting a little over 1,300. This year I set out to do a bit better and shot for 1,500.

In the end I got nearly 1,000 more miles than last year, snagged Diamond (first time!), and most surprising to me, rode 147/153 days!

Thank you for all of the great opportunities to ride (those happy hours add up!), companionship, and motivation! This summer has been a blast!

(And tomorrow my bike goes into maintenance mode...)

Post Thanks / Like

bike nurse with Captain Rod Smith this evening logging a couple extra miles on the NE Branch trail

Steve O is offline 5000+ Posts? The first step to beating addiction is admitting you have one.
    Post Thanks / Like

How about this? One point apart:

Temporarily, though.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    How about this? One point apart:

Temporarily, though.
    My money is on the guy in green.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by personabuena View Post
    Welcome to the forum! Don't be a stranger! When we expanded the team beyond the forum members one of the goals was to grow this group so that's been a plus for the most part. I found this group during the first National Bike Challenge when I was on another team. I noticed high placed riders in Maryland and in a regional category they had that year were from BikeArlington teams so I Googled it!

Given GCC's prominence in the NBC for the past three years and close finishes each year, do you really think there were a dozen riders in Gaineville at the 10,000+ points level who hadn't joined until today? Thats a long time to hold so many aces up your sleeves. And not a single one of them happen to be on Strava? I'm not buying it. I'm not accusing of falsification, I just don't believe it's true. That's all.

Congrats team on an awesome performance!
    Last edited by Rod Smith; 10-01-2015 at 01:27 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats to the Gainesville team on their awesome performance. Gainesville is a comparatively small community and it is pretty neat the cyclists have a single organization to serve the cyclists. Given that we were the Washington Area All Stars, we weren't nearly as good at penetrating the community of cyclists. Hell, if we had every cyclist that rode the MVT two weeks ago (on a weekday) we would have had 1200 members.

The NBC is in the fourth year (I think) and is just starting to mature. Now is the time to look at it to see how it can be positioned for success in the future. A number of good ideas were offered in the forum. I will develop my ideas and offer them to the NBC organizers.

Congrats to Gainesville and to everybody that rode during the past five months.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dbb View Post
    Congrats to the Gainesville team on their awesome performance. Gainesville is a comparatively small community and it is pretty neat the cyclists have a single organization to serve the cyclists. Given that we were the Washington Area All Stars, we weren't nearly as good at penetrating the community of cyclists. Hell, if we had every cyclist that rode the MVT two weeks ago (on a weekday) we would have had 1200 members.

The NBC is in the fourth year (I think) and is just starting to mature. Now is the time to look at it to see how it can be positioned for success in the future. A number of good ideas were offered in the forum. I will develop my ideas and offer them to the NBC organizers.

Congrats to Gainesville and to everybody that rode during the past five months.
    Yep, if we just had 1/10th of the area riders in us, we win each time. But at least we give them a run for the money...and without mostly flat rides .