Likes Likes:  392
Dislikes Dislikes:  3
ELITE ELITE:  35
Page 1 of 33 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: National Bike Challenge 2015-Washington Area All-Stars

Post Thanks / Like

Default National Bike Challenge 2015-Washington Area All-Stars

Don't know what to do now that Freezing Saddles 2015 is over? Motivate yourself to exercise, and potentially win prizes, by participating in the National Bike Challenge May 1-September 30! You can sign up now so you'll be ready when it starts. (If you signed up last year, you're already in, and don't need to sign up again.) Please don't hesitate to join the team just because you're not sure how many miles you will bicycle--EVERY mile helps!

To join:

1. Sign up at the National Bike Challenge registration page.

2. If you're local to the Washington, DC area (two hours by bike from downtown), join the Washington Area All-Stars team! You can do this by going to the Washington Area All-Stars team page and clicking on "JOIN." You can also join a school team and a workplace team if you like.

3. If you have a smartphone, you can use it to keep track of your miles automatically:
    a. Sign up for Strava, MapMyFitness, Moves, or Endomondo.
    b. Link the app to your National Bike Challenge account by signing in and going to Edit My Profile. At the bottom left of that page is a place where you can authorize the relevant app.
    c. Put the app on your phone, and use it when riding.
    d. Sign in to the National Bike Challenge site at least once a week, and on the last day of each month, and click on the "Log Miles" button, then click on "Sync Now" on the page that comes up.

4. If you have a Garmin, you can use it to keep track of your miles automatically:
    a. Sign up for Strava. (You can also do this with MapMyFitness, but I'm keeping this simple by avoiding posting two sets of directions.)
    b. While logged in to Strava, click on the red arrow in the upper right, then choose "Upload activity." You will be given options to either upload from your Garmin or, if you already use the Garmin site to upload miles, to sync your Garmin and Strava accounts.
    c. Sign in to the National Bike Challenge site at least once a week, and on the last day of each month, and click on the "Log Miles" button, then click on "Sync Now" on the page that comes up.

5. If you have neither a smartphone or a Garmin, you can still enter miles manually. Sign in to the National Bike Challenge site and click on the "Log Miles" button, then fill in the information under "MANUALLY LOGGED MILES" and click the "LOG MILES" button.

2. 04-21-2015, 10:34 PM

3. 04-25-2015, 02:40 PM

4. 04-25-2015, 02:41 PM

Post Thanks / Like

Default Not much more time to sign up!

The National Bike Challenge begins this Friday! So far our team, the Washington Area All-Stars, has 180 riders. However, we're competing with at least one team with 309 riders. While we've nevertheless been #1 in the country in miles ridden preseason, we're facing a big handicap in terms of number of riders. (Last year, we were also #1 in the preseason, but came in second to a team with 295 members in the actual challenge.) Can we get as many people as possible from the DC area to sign up? As previously mentioned, once a team is over 100 members, standings are determined by total team points, not by points per person. So you'll help, not hurt, the team by joining, even if you ride only a little bit.

lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

As long as I don't have to do any friggin sleaze rides, I will join.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthemark View Post
    As long as I don't have to do any friggin sleaze rides, I will join.
    I can assure you, we'll be delighted to have you, even if you aren't sleazy!

Live on Capitol Hill, work in downtown DC
    Post Thanks / Like

OK, done. Rode with Women & Bicycling last year, but if my points help this team actually be competitive, happy to throw them into the pool.

Oh, hello there from your friendly fair-weather cyclist! Started riding again April 1, motivated by the #30DaysofBiking challenge, and am pleased to report that I've been on a bike every day for 25 days so far! Earned a silver badge in the Bike Challenge, which I'll have to re-earn in May when they clear the slate.

FYI - the prizes for May have been posted. Really good prizes this year! https://nationalbikechallenge.org/prizes

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DCLiz View Post
    OK, done. Rode with Women & Bicycling last year, but if my points help this team actually be competitive, happy to throw them into the pool.

Oh, hello there from your friendly fair-weather cyclist! Started riding again April 1, motivated by the #30DaysofBiking challenge, and am pleased to report that I've been on a bike every day for 25 days so far! Earned a silver badge in the Bike Challenge, which I'll have to re-earn in May when they clear the slate.

FYI - the prizes for May have been posted. Really good prizes this year! https://nationalbikechallenge.org/prizes
    Welcome to the team!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm in. Already logging miles but I guess they don't count yet. Good practice anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Supermau View Post
    I'm in. Already logging miles but I guess they don't count yet. Good practice anyway.
    Great!

Post Thanks / Like

I just sent the invite out to my small federal agency @ HHS to join the challenge. We'll see if anyone new joins.

If your an HHS-er, PLEASE add it as your workplace--I programmed the info in last year. I'm happy add your work location to the options if that helps. It's kinda sad that the Department that's all about health and wellness has such small workplace group on the NBC.

rcannon100 is offline Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies!
    Post Thanks / Like

Has your agency joined the Federal Bike Challenge? A one month challenge inside the Cascade Bike to Work Month challenge. http://www.luum.com/challenges/88/bike-month-challenge