Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 29

Thread: BPAC Meeting Minutes Thread

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Alexandria VA
    Posts
    11
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default BPAC Meeting Minutes Thread

    This is the thread where we'll post highlights and deals of the BPAC meetings.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Alexandria VA
    Posts
    11
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default 2015 Feb Meeting Highlights

    Alexandria Police Headquarter Tour - Sgt. Seckler
    • Sgt. Seckler escorted our group through the police headquarters. We visited the emergency call center and were briefed on their new emergency response system. Sgt Seckler also explained to us the layout of the building and some of the services provided by the police: investigations, patrol, laboratory, evidence room etc.

      Stop Sign Enforcement Campaign continues.


    Alexandria East End Pedestrian and Cyclist Safety Campaign
    • Plans for a Campaign were discussed with possible dates on Thursdays in April. Jerry King is going to lead the effort. To prepare the campaign, we’ll need to make some signs.


    Richmond Legislative Updates

    Alexandria Police Department did not Support Legislative Safety Agenda of Biking Community
    • Jim Durham discussed the recent City Council decision on proposed state legislation that would have required vehicle occupants to avoid opening vehicle doors in front of an on-coming vehicle. The City’s Legislative Director recommended opposing this legislation, based on an input from the Alexandria Police Department. BPAC provided Council with an input outlining the safety benefits of this legislation. City Council voted to take no stance. Jim suggested that BPAC should engage the City Council state legislative position process much earlier next season.


    Elections:
    • Scott Anderson led the elections. Nominees were Jim Durham Chair, Jerry King Vice Chair for Pedestrians, Jake Jakubeck Vice Chair for Bicyclists, Bob Trencheny Treasurer, Randy Cole Secretary. Scott asked for any additional nominations from the floor. None were offered. So nominations were closed. The election of the candidates was taken by a voice vote – there were no dissenting votes.


    Other Project Updates:
    Bike Rodeo Volunteers Needed.
    • Jim is seeking volunteers to help organize bike rodeos. Bike rodeos consist of setting up 5 – 7 stations in a parking lot or tennis court. Each station teaches the rider a specific topic on safety, proper handling of a bike, signaling or maintenance. If you are interested please contact Randy Cole.
    Last edited by Tiger Moth; 03-20-2015 at 03:20 PM.

  3. Likes lordofthemark liked this post
  4. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Alexandria VA
    Posts
    11
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default 2015 Jan Minutes

    Alexandria Police Liaison Report - Sgt. Seckler
    • Sgt. Seckler advised that the accident at Everybody's Favorite Intersection (King St Metro/Amtrak Bridge) was not the fault of the driver who collided with the woman. The woman was carrying her 14 month old and was trying to cross, I believe, from the south side of King Street to the north side, apparently to catch a bus. She looked to her left, caught the eye of a motorist who waved her on. She then proceeded to cross the street without looking to the right, and was hit by an older gentleman who apparently did not have time to react to a pedestrian suddenly appearing in the street. Sgt Seckler also said the Alexandria Police Department is ready for your meeting next month


    Guest Speaker: Stewart Schwartz, Coalition for Smarter Growth.
    • Mr Schwartz provided a brief overview of the CSG organization and introduced Aimee Custis. As a consultant to cities and governments around the region he shared his experience and gave suggestions on how BPAC could improve outreach to other organizations in the city to help build a broad coalition. Topics discussed included state and regional transpiration issues, how some Virginia lobby groups still advocate for ‘congestion standard’ as a basis for legislators for continued road building and widening. Mr Schwarz suggested the following ways to maintain and get additional support:
    • Keep up regular meetings with council members
    • Promote positive stories of bike/ped issues to council and the public
    • Partner with the Alexandria Chamber of Commerce, and business associations and demonstrate the positive effects of bikeonomics
    • Partner with Alexandria Convention and Visitors Association
    • Make connections with the city Planning Commission
    • Aimee offered to update the GW Parade handout so that it’s message is concise and actionable.


    Students Walk and Bike Campaign – Jim/Bob/Jake (Active Youth Bike and Walk to School)
    • Jim Durham provided updates to the plan.
    • He ported that BPAC objective for the meeting was successful because ACPS’s director of operation is going to provide the results of the parent/student transportation survey to the city. That way the city can fix any infrastructure issues that are impeding the ability of students to bike or walk to school.
    • Aimee Custis offered to provide help with advertising to parents/ ptas the need for taking leadership roles in AYBWTS programs at their schools.
    • Mr Schwartz suggested highlighting schools with good SRTS programs in the media.


    The Ad Hoc Pedestrian and Bicycle Master Plan Advisory Committee - Scott Anderson
    • Scott Provided a copy of the letter he sent to Steve Sindiong that contains the 6 locations BPAC recommended for baseline and follow up walkability/bikeability surveys (conducted by BPAC using City survey standards). The locations are: EOS 21 Apartments, Bradlee Shopping Center, Potomac Yard shopping Center, TC Williams High School, Landmark Mall and the Van Dorn Metro Station. No word yet from the Mr Sindiong if he’s accepted the offer


    George Washington Parade Feb 2015 – Michael Menchel
    • Michael is expecting a larger than normal crowd a the parade. The BPAC banner is not very legible because it has small lettering. Bruce Dwyer is going to talk to his brother in law to see if he’s willing to help create new one. BPAC has insufficient funds to buy one as they cost ~$200. The parade flyer/handout was also reviewed and it’s going in for one more edit to make it a ¼ page size – to save $ and simplify the message.

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Alexandria VA
    Posts
    11
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default 2015 March Minutes

    Bike Ped Master Plan Update – Steve Sindiong.
    • Mr Sindiong reviewed the planning process for the Alexandria Bicycle and Pedestrian Master plan. He also spoke about the deliverables, and approaches the city and the contractor are taking to cataloging the most hazardous sections of the city for walkers and bikers. He also discussed the timeline for completing the project – projected for the Fall of 2015. Mr Sindiong responded to questions from the public and BPAC members.


    Farmer’s Market Food Rescue program.
    • The city is implementing a food rescue program that recovers damaged food from the Old Town Farmer’s Market and delivers it to nearby shelters. The program needs volunteers willing to show up at the market and deliver via a city bike trailer the discarded food to the Annie B. Rose home about 1 mile away. Contact sara.rhoades@alexndriava.gov for information. This will begin in May.


    City Staff updates - Hillary Poole
    • Complete Streets Project. Hillary presented a proposed an innovative design for a section of Potomac Greens Drive that is due for repaving and striping this year. All in attendance agreed that the new design would be beneficial.
    • Bike Facility Enforcement. Hillary explained the process Alexandria city uses to ensure and enforce city code regarding bicycle parking and rider changing facilities at employment centers. Melissa McMahon – an employee of Arlington County – provided an explanation of how Arlington enforces the bicycle codes in its’ county. It seems that Arlington’s process is more rigorous as they have a larger staff and have annual recurring bicycle facility inspection process for all buildings, not just those that are in the construction pipeline. Melissa provided all attending copies of the February 2014 ‘Arlington Guide to Effective Bicycle Parking”.


    National Bike Summit
    • Randy and Becky provided the highlights of the national bike summit. The items that were lobbied on Capitol Hill were for implementation of Vision Zero and fully funding the Transpiration Alternative Program. Additional highlights included ideas from other advocacy groups such as organizing a Bike to Shop Day, or Bike on a Date day to help socialize biking. Becky also mentioned that the sections of the summit dedicated to commercial retailing were not as good as in previous years.


    Students Walk and Bike Campaign – Jim/Bob/Jake (Active Youth Bike and Walk to School)
    • Jim Durham reminded all in attendance that the Alexandria City Public School’s Strategic Plan would be presented to the public on Thursday. The plan includes a section on Health and Wellness with an objective for Safe Routes to School. This is the first time that ACPS is incorporating health goals in its plans.


    Public Comments
    • The Coalition for Smarter Growth is going to hosting a Streets Camp – to educate the public how to engage political leaders. The event will be in May.

  6. Likes lordofthemark liked this post
  7. 06-05-2015, 04:06 PM


  8. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Alexandria VA
    Posts
    11
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default April Minutes

    Treasurer’s report – Bob Trencheny
    • Bob proposed we drop the Meetup account because the annual cost is too much for the BPAC budget and because much of the services are available for free on FaceBook. Jake and others also noted that the best way to recruit people for events is with personal invitations to prospective members. Vote was unanimous to discontinue Meetup, after 30 Jun. That should be sufficient time to announce the closing, and work with Jonathan Krall to transfer people over to FB.


    Alexandria Police Liaison Report
    • Discussion focused on the recent collision of a bicyclist and a car at an intersection on Walter Reed. When the cyclist called the non-emergency clerk at the Alexandria Police Department, he was told there was nothing he could do since he had told the driver he was ok and didn’t get any of the driver’s information. It was only after the driver left that the cyclist realized his bike was damaged. Although no longer a hit and run, the clerk should have told the cyclist to file a damaged property report. Because the Emergency Dispatcher gave the cyclist the wrong guidance, Jim Durham sent a note to the Alexandria PD asking them to explain how to report accidents when property was damaged and it’s a possible hit & run. The Chief of Police responded that in this case, because the driver stopped and the cyclist said he was ok the only choice was for the cyclist to report a property damage report.
    • Many present discussed other experiences they had with collisions. Jim noted that a neighbor was struck by a car and it was late in the night after the accident that the rider realized there was pain in his leg. The hospital discovered that his leg was broken and it took him many months to heal and get back on his bike.
    • Jerry said that you should do two things: a. When you are hit, DO NOT say “I’m OK”, say you don’t know as you are likely high on adrenalin and not in a condition to answer b. Get a witness
    • Jim also suggested that users should always call the 911 number or non emergency number rather than use Twitter.


    Robinson Terminal – Scott Anderson
    • Scott asked members to look a the Robinson South plan and to provide him comments on the proposed bike & ped facilities. Jim asked that if biking is prohibited inside the new plaza, that the builder provide some bike racks a all of the entrances to the plaza so that bikers can lock up rather than take them through the plaza.


    Students Walk & Bike Campaign.
    • Safe Routes to School: The campaign to get the Alexandria City Public School system to adopt a policy and hire a Safe Routes to School Coordinator continues. BPAC was able to get the ACPS’s strategic plan to contain language to encourage biking and walking to school. The Strategic Plan still needs to pass a few more hurdles before it is formally adopted. Then the challenge will be to get funding for a SRTS coordinator. The city of Alexandria over the past 10 years was able to get funding for SRTS activities via VA DOT grants. But the state does not think there will be another opportunity for Alexandria to get money this year as the city has used this grant too many times. However, the ASCPS is planning to hire a Health and Phys Ed. curriculum builder, so this position may take on the SRTS role.


    Bike Rodeo.
    • Mt Vernon elementary wants to have a bike rodeo for their students. BPAC will take the lead for this effort.


    Partnerships for a Healthier Alexandria
    • The PHA share some common ground with BPAC’s goals, especially the committees focused on Childhood Obesity and Healthy Employer. Jim Durham asked BPAC members to decide if BPAC should formally coordinate and start attending PHA meetings. Jim is also seeking a BPAC volunteer willing to attend the PHA meetings and report back to BPAC.
    • East End Pedestrian and Cyclist Safety Campaign
    • The outreach has been going well. Many drivers and pedestrians thanking BPAC for helping enforce good behavior. The last event will be Thursdays in April 23

    City Staff Updates: Hillary Poole
    • The Draft Bicycle Master Plan was presented and discussed. The Master plan just shows the location of the bicycle facilities, but does not specify the type of facility to be installed. Additionally, the master plan does not attempt to prioritize or schedule which roads will get the bicycle facilities first. So far the City of Alexandria has Zero miles of protected bike lanes – something BPAC wants to change. So BPAC would like to city to provide a limited list of the bike ped facilities it plans to use for implementing the master plan. Without any specifics the city could implement the entire plan by only painting sharrows – the least attractive bike facility that will not entice families, or the ‘interested but concerned’ class.
    • Paving Schedule: Hillary presented next fiscal year’s paving schedule and discussion of some of the roads that were also included in the Master Plan followed.
    • First Automated Counter installed. Hillary announced that the city’s first automated counter was installed along the MVT. It still needs to be calibrated and BPAC agreed to place a counter at this location during the May count to provide a counting reference.


    Bike Friendly Business – Scott Anderson
    • Scott announced that Tempo Restaurant was a new member of the BFB. Parking Standards for New Development Advisory Committee – Scott Anderson  Scott reported that the study of new development parking standards was continuing


    Bike and Pedestrian Counting Updates: Randy Dingwell
    • Randy D still needs help for the upcoming count in May. He reported that some in his outreach efforts new people have volunteered, including a boy scout and his parent.


    Leadership Engagement - Jim/Jerry
    • The city’s upcoming vote to approve the budget requires 3 council members votes to bring up debate for making any amendments to the budget, and 4 members to vote to approve any changes to the proposed budget. Councilmember Lovain is lobbying other members to put the funds back in CaBi bikeshare system. Jim asked BPAC members send notes to city council requesting an increase funds for Complete Streets .

    Commission on Aging - David Kaplan
    • David reports that the founder of the City’s Robust walking program is moving to Charlottesville. But we hope his legacy of organizing robust walks ( walks that also work upper body muscles) will continue.

    DASH Board - David Kaplan
    • David reports that the new budget does not require any cuts in bus service. He thanked BPAC’s support with this effort.


    Parks and Recreation Commission - Dave Levy with Eliz Wright
    • There are markings on the Holmes run trail suggesting the trail might get repaved. Hillary said she’d send out the trail repaving schedule to BPAC.


    Transportation Commission – Jerry/Jake
    • Jerry and Jake reported the Commission urged the city to restore funding for Bikeshare operations, DASH bus replacement, Design Funds for Old Cameron Run Trail and Backlick Trail funding.


    Alexandria Women and Bicycling Status
    • SpokesWomen are planning a Bike To Work Day happy hour at TeaIsm.


    City Council Elections
    • BPAC will continue the tradition of non-partisanship and not endorse candidates. Democratic primary candidate debate is scheduled for 23 Apr at McArthur Elementary
    Last edited by Tiger Moth; 06-05-2015 at 04:23 PM.

  9. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    627
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default BPAC - December 2015 Meeting Minutes

    Minutes for the December 2015 Meeting can be found at https://alexandriabpac.files.wordpre...ac-minutes.pdf.

    All meeting minutes for 2015 can be found here

  10. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    The forgotten corner of Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    2,237
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CaseyKane50 View Post
    Minutes for the December 2015 Meeting can be found at https://alexandriabpac.files.wordpre...ac-minutes.pdf.

    All meeting minutes for 2015 can be found here
    I do not believe I am a committee member. I was under the impression I had to be formally included, and so I have neither paid dues, nor participated in any votes. I request clarification.
    Last edited by lordofthemark; 01-13-2016 at 01:50 PM.

  11. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    627
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lordofthemark View Post
    I do not believe I am a committee member. I was under the impression I had to be formally included, and so I have neither paid dues, nor participated in any votes. I request clarification.
    You are right, an error was made in the minutes. They have been updated. Sorry for the confusion.

  12. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    627
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default BPAC - January 2016 Meeting Minutes

    Minutes for the January 2016 meeting can be found at https://alexandriabpac.files.wordpre...es-revised.pdf

  13. Likes Tim Kelley liked this post
  14. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    627
    Post Thanks / Like

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •