Likes Likes:  99
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  21
Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122

Thread: Behold: RackSpotter - A crowdsourced bike parking tool!

Post Thanks / Like

Try hitting the gray "X" in the upper right hand corner of the intro splash screen....

Formerly of the Pike where I was hit twice in bike-friendly Arlington. Now in Takoma Park.
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. No X in my IE but there was one when I tried google chrome.

KLizotte is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Arlington, VA by way of MA and London, UK
    Post Thanks / Like

I have only tried using the site via Chrome on my laptop and the only problem I've had is that it is VERY slow to load and zoom in/out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by elbows View Post
    Thanks. No X in my IE but there was one when I tried google chrome.
    Anyone else have this issue?

Post Thanks / Like

I use Google Chrome on my Macbook Pro.

I have no issues with the initial loading (the X appears in the corner of the login window), but every time I move the map and/or zoom in/out the page has to refresh the rack location pins. Usually this takes a fraction of a second, but it is noticeable and takes longer the more zoomed out I am.

In general, it runs slower than when I use Google Maps in general.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Avoiding the Heat Rackspotting

I did some rackspotting this afternoon sometime after 5 when most of the blazing heat was starting to die down (the incoming storms helped block the sun, too) in parts of Franconia, Kingstowne, and Alexandria.

Starting off, I headed toward the Rose Hill Shopping Center (Franconia Rd/Rose Hill Dr) which was a bust (a couple of the shopping centers I visited had no bike parking whatsoever). While passing through the Rose Hill Apartments area, I noticed out of the corner of my eye this impressive set of wheel-bender bike racks that seemed to show how much they need better bike racks (warning, do not look at the picture if you have OCD).
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	01 - Rose Hill Apartments.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	97.3 KB 
ID:	12276

I was impressed that there were a number of bicycle racks around Kingstowne Center. They were wave racks, but the crests were wider apart which leads me to believe they are better for cargo bikes (can anyone confirm this?).

Name:	07 - Kingstowne Center.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	97.2 KB 
ID:	12273

I then went over to the new Hilltop Village Center near the intersection of Beulah St/Telegraph Rd. They had a couple of bike racks (mostly wave racks with adequate space), but not all of them were that useful (stanchioned U racks too close to wall at Wegman's).

Name:	14 - Hilltop Village Center Wegmans.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	96.4 KB 
ID:	12274

Heading north on Beulah St, I stopped at the MetroPark garages near the intersection of Beulah St/Franconia-Springfield Parkway. Both parking garages had oddly-shaped bike hitches that made me think they were holdovers from horse-riding times (but as you can tell in the pic, at least SOMEONE is using them!).

Name:	17 - MetroPark south garage.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	90.1 KB 
ID:	12275

Luckily, I made it home without getting caught in the rain (light sprinkling started as I was a block away). After all was said and done, I was able to add 25 bike rack locations to the Rackspotter site from this ride.

KLizotte is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Arlington, VA by way of MA and London, UK
    Post Thanks / Like

The last pic seems to show stretching posts that are put out for runners to use. Weird.

Formerly of the Pike where I was hit twice in bike-friendly Arlington. Now in Takoma Park.
    Post Thanks / Like

Seems to still be the case that one needs to log in in order to simply see racks. Am I wrong?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by elbows View Post
    Seems to still be the case that one needs to log in in order to simply see racks. Am I wrong?
    No. Just click the X in the top right of the pop-up box. It should disappear and you can see the racks w/o an account or logging in.

Henry