Likes Likes:  105
Dislikes Dislikes:  2
ELITE ELITE:  7
Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Thread: New Visitor Access Requirements at Ft Myer?

Post Thanks / Like

Today, I was turned away and denied base entry. First time ever. According to the soldier that took my ID, they are no longer permitting entry to anyone that doesn't have official business on base. According to him, the policy went into effect last week. Not sure how true that is because I only rode into work one day last week (the rainy one). Guess my commute has officially been extended by 15min and 8 degraded factors of safety now.

DismalScientist is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I didn't have any problems entering this morning.

Post Thanks / Like

Jamilkb -- what ID had you been using to get on base?

No problems for me this week going in at either 2nd St or Wright Gate (by Iwo Jima) with a civilian federal employee ID (5 entries total so far)

I have noticed that lines for vehicle inspections are longer and there is clearly more security in place than a few weeks ago. Given recent events it would be unsurprising that the base is changing security procedures.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been using my Federal ID as well. Yesterday I was fumbling around with gloves on and when I pulled out my ID my driver's license was stuck to it on top. He saw that somehow and refused to even look at my Federal badge.....went into the booth, talked to some people, then came out and handed my license back to me and gave me the line about no longer permitting entry. Typically I'm going through there no later than 5:45am....I was running late yesterday so it was closer to 6am....

I may try again tomorrow and make sure to only have my Federal badge out. I'm beginning to suspect that there's just no rhyme or reason to any of this and it's going to be a crap shoot from here on out. Good to know at least there's a chance though.

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll dig up my contacts and see if there's a new policy. For a while, I'd get an email when policies were changing on base, so I'm a bit surprised to hear this, but not really.

Steve O is offline 5000+ Posts? The first step to beating addiction is admitting you have one.
    Post Thanks / Like

Post dentist I decided to try the Ft. Myer cut-through from S. Arlington to Rosslyn. Ran into a friend who bikes through frequently and guided me into the left line at the 2nd St. entrance (I wouldn't have known). They looked at our IDs and let us through. I have a Federal one, but he just has a driver's license. No hassles.
    Last edited by Steve O; 12-22-2015 at 12:11 PM. Reason: Cross posted with Morning Commute thread

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    Post dentist I decided to try the Ft. Myer cut-through from S. Arlington to Rosslyn. Ran into a friend who bikes through frequently and guided me into the left line at the 2nd St. entrance (I wouldn't have known). They looked at our IDs and let us through. I have a Federal one, but he just has a driver's license. No hassles.
    Good to hear! I'd given up and I've been taking Columbia Pike to Pentagon trail....it's the most horrible route into the city BTW.... I may try Ft. Myer again next week I guess. I won't risk it during the rain this week though, nothing worse than having to turn back and re-route in the rain.

DismalScientist is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

The last time I went through Southgate the guard expressed a deep desire to scan something and suggested I get a pass in additition to my Federal ID. I don't know whether this portends something bad.

Post Thanks / Like

I am finding it amusing that it is apparently easier to go through a military installation than to go through the National Institutes of Health. I used to cut through NIH all the time, since it was much less hilly than the alternative routes. Now, they only allow bikes in through one entrance, which means that there is no way to go through it. Interestingly, they allow visitors in cars to go through other entrances. Do they seriously believe it is easier to bring in a bomb on a bicycle than on a car?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DismalScientist View Post
    The last time I went through Southgate the guard expressed a deep desire to scan something and suggested I get a pass in addition to my Federal ID. I don't know whether this portends something bad.
    I had the same thing happen at Wright Gate (the one by Iwo Jima Memorial/Rosslyn) last night. The guard said that the policy had changed a few weeks ago but there was a grace period. He said starting very soon that if there isn't a bar code on the back they can scan, you won't be allowed to enter through that gate. But then when I pointed out that my Federal ID is HSPD-12 compliant he seemed a little less sure, and also added "I am not 100% sure this will apply to bicycles" -- so who knows? Signs not looking good though.