Likes Likes:  105
Dislikes Dislikes:  2
ELITE ELITE:  7
Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: New Visitor Access Requirements at Ft Myer?

Post Thanks / Like

Angry New Visitor Access Requirements at Ft Myer?

This seems like bad news for Bike Access through Ft Myer for those of us without DoD badges...

Sounds like non-DoD badge holders will be confined to a single gate and either get background-checked every time they try to enter or have to go apply for a special badge?

DismalScientist is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

An early sentence says that Federal workers and DoD badge holders will not be affected, but the rest of the article doesn't say anything about Federal workers. Anyways, it's good to see something done about the rampant problem of felons entering army bases.

Post Thanks / Like

This is in response to things like the Navy Yard & Fort Hood shootings. Of course, those people had badges. Never mind, I don't know why this is useful.

Post Thanks / Like

DismalScientist is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Says nothing about non-DOD Federal workers.

It is nice to know that from now on all invitees to children's birthday parties at the bowling center will now have to be background-checked.

americancyclo is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Since the new regs apply on President's Day and a lot of feds have that day off, I think a large caravan of cyclists would be an effective test of the new system. Anyone care to organize a Predictable, Alert, and Lawful campaign?

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by americancyclo View Post
    Since the new regs apply on President's Day and a lot of feds have that day off, I think a large caravan of cyclists would be an effective test of the new system. Anyone care to organize a Predictable, Alert, and Lawful campaign?
    I was already planning on heading through there to get to the meet-up for the George Washington Day Parade (Kidicals Arl and Alx are riding in the parade). Everyone is welcome to join (for the parade too!).

Post Thanks / Like

The first article actually answers more of our questions than the FAQ.

Looks like non-DOD Feds are consider as having a DOD ID: "Officials define “DoD ID card holders” as active duty and reserve component military personnel and their family members; retired military personnel and their family members; and federal workers."

There also appears to be a way for non-DOD non-Feds to get some sort of access clearance so they don't have to clear security screening every day: "Joint base officials urge those who frequent the base and do not have a DoD-issued ID card (examples are people who volunteer on the joint base regularly, thrift shop visitors, nannies, vendors and delivery persons) to register now to avoid long waits and possibly being turned away. These same folks can get an Automated Installation Entry (AIE) pass for a specified period of time, based on their need for joint base access." They don't list cyclists cutting through the base as an example, but hopefully they'll consider those as eligible.

This highlights a significant issue for Arlington cycling advocacy: Cutting through Ft Myer is really the only reasonable way to get from central Arlington to DC and back. If cutting through the base gets significantly curtailed for cyclists, there are really few alternatives for access to central Arlington and Washington DC. Columbia bike is a terrifying place to ride, and the path along Rte 50 is far from adequate or complete.

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

I called. Non-DoD Federal employees with a CAC card should be fine.

They are still deciding (WTF?!?!? For a policy that supposedly goes into effect Monday?) whether this policy will apply to peds/cyclists at the Henderson Hall and Wright Gates. I'll note that while Wright Gate being closed would be annoying, there is an alternate route. If Henderson Hall Gate closes, the alternate route is Columbia Pike, which at the moment is simply unacceptable.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alcova cyclist View Post
    Columbia bike is a terrifying place to ride, and the path along Rte 50 is far from adequate or complete.
    What constitutes a "federal worker"? E.g. is a contractor with a PIV card considered a "federal worker"?

This contractor would like to know.

B

PS - Punctuation, blah.

PPS - a PIV card looks identical to a CAC card, maybe they're considered the same? I also wonder what the definition of "cleared contract personnel" is the context of the FAQ (up to date on background investigations? Or cleared for site access?).
    Last edited by brendan; 02-12-2015 at 10:23 AM.