Likes Likes:  15
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  1
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lynn/Lee Lighted No Turn on Red

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Lynn/Lee Lighted No Turn on Red

So the sign is up at the Intersection of Doom (Lynn and WB Lee) -- it's a lighted no turn on red that is on (i.e. prohibits turns) while the leading pedestrian signal is on. I first saw it on MLK Day. They've been adjusting light timing since, and I'm told they're not done. I keep meaning to take video, but every time I go through there I think "eh, it's really cold and it will be warmer next time I come through..." The latter doesn't seem to have come true yet. :-P

Has anyone else noticed the sign? What have people noticed as far as compliance? Other thoughts?

I'll post a pic in a second.

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm... Somehow I only have a non-lighted picture. Anyway, it's the black box just to the left of the right-most traffic light.

ShawnoftheDread is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

It should come on before the leading pedestrian signal rather than simultaneously.

baiskeli is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnoftheDread View Post
    It should come on before the leading pedestrian signal rather than simultaneously.
    Yes. Perhaps it could be on through the entire red cycle, which is a nice reminder for motorists to look at it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by baiskeli View Post
    Yes. Perhaps it could be on through the entire red cycle, which is a nice reminder for motorists to look at it.
    I think the reason we have this sign is that staff (I don't know exactly who or how pervasive) didn't want a full time no turn on red.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dasgeh View Post
    So the sign is up at the Intersection of Doom (Lynn and WB Lee) -- it's a lighted no turn on red that is on (i.e. prohibits turns) while the leading pedestrian signal is on. I first saw it on MLK Day. They've been adjusting light timing since, and I'm told they're not done. I keep meaning to take video, but every time I go through there I think "eh, it's really cold and it will be warmer next time I come through..." The latter doesn't seem to have come true yet. :-P

Has anyone else noticed the sign? What have people noticed as far as compliance? Other thoughts?

I'll post a pic in a second.
    Yes I have noticed, and I also had the thought of taking a video with identical results.
    I actually talked with Larry Marcus the other night about it. He and I met on the trail and commuted together for about 3 miles, a very positive serendipity.

I told him exactly what Dread says: it needs to come on several seconds prior to the LPI to help prevent the right-turn-on-red-creepers from making their turn exactly as it comes on. I would suggest a full 4-5 seconds prior to the LPI.

I haven't watched it long enough to know when it stops (I go; it's cold out there!). In my opinion it should stay on for the entire walk and countdown cycle, giving peds and cyclists a lot more comfort about crossing without conflict. It also needs to be on long enough to actually be noticed. If it's actually true that it's only on for the LPI, then I doubt most drivers have even noticed it.

I also worry about what exactly drivers think when it turns off. Do they understand that it is still necessary to yield or does the change from on to off embolden them to be more aggressive about turning right?

Post Thanks / Like

Great points. I should add that it's actually a "no right turn" sign, with no limit to "on red"... (We'd been talking about that for so long, I was inexact)

Post Thanks / Like

Does this sign only come on during the LPI (i.e. not lit while Lynn Street is green)? If so, it will almost certainly not be noticed by the drivers at the front of the line who are busy looking at Lynn Street traffic and then raring to go as soon as they see cars come to a stop. The ones behind may however be more apt to see it when it suddenly comes on (than they would have been to notice it were it lit the whole time).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scoot View Post
    Does this sign only come on during the LPI (i.e. not lit while Lynn Street is green)? If so, it will almost certainly not be noticed by the drivers at the front of the line who are busy looking at Lynn Street traffic and then raring to go as soon as they see cars come to a stop. The ones behind may however be more apt to see it when it suddenly comes on (than they would have been to notice it were it lit the whole time).
    Yes, this only comes on during the LPI. I'm hoping to get some of people's actual observations. I have seen cars stay stopped at the light when the LPI comes on even when there have been no cyclists/pedestrians are crossing, so I do think that some drivers see it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scoot View Post
    I just videotaped it and will upload a bit later.
    Yes, the No-Right-Turn is on for a total of 4-5 seconds, just during the LPI. Then it turns off as soon as the light turns green.

Amazingly, you will see in the video, a car actually ran the No-Right-Turn signal during the first cycle I taped. Not encouraging.