Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bees in the Knees

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mstone View Post
    the cleat alignment kinda depends on your feet/knees--if I rode a couple of miles with my cleats aligned like you describe, I wouldn't be able to walk the next day. what you're calling "wrong" in the picture is likely correct for the person wearing the shoes.

a good starting point for alignment is to sit on something where your feet can just dangle and see which way they point; set the cleats so that your feet point at the same angle relative to the pedals as they did to the edge of the thing you sat on. many (most?) people will find that their feet don't point exactly straight ahead.
    I know that is a possibility, but one could use this method to check right/left shoe symmetry. I have used this method before, and it worked for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mstone View Post
    the cleat alignment kinda depends on your feet/knees--if I rode a couple of miles with my cleats aligned like you describe, I wouldn't be able to walk the next day. what you're calling "wrong" in the picture is likely correct for the person wearing the shoes.

a good starting point for alignment is to sit on something where your feet can just dangle and see which way they point; set the cleats so that your feet point at the same angle relative to the pedals as they did to the edge of the thing you sat on. many (most?) people will find that their feet don't point exactly straight ahead.
    Yeah, I'm a good example of that. My left foot is really pigeon toed, and I think it all stems my hip being messed up somehow. So I can't align my left cleat straight, but I definitely need to tweak something. I did more googling last night and found this as well from cptips.com.... This was the only thing I could find so far that addressed foot position on the pedal/cleat position wrt anterior knee pain.

Knee Pain: Anterior (see chondromalacia below)

Causes
    pushing BIG gears - cadence too low
    saddle too low or too far forward
    foot too far forward on the pedal
    crank arms too long
    leg length discrepancy with seat set for shorter leg

Possible solutions
    ride at 75 rpm or higher
    raise seat (in small increments of less than 5mm) or move seat back
    move cleat forward 1 to 2 mm
    shorten crank arms by 2.5 cm
    set seat for longer, not shorter, leg with correction for the shorter leg

I'll try moving my cleat forward this evening.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rcannon100 View Post
    Consider cleats with more float: Speedplay frogs
    I don't like too much float--I actually have fewer problems when I just get the cleats aligned right and let them keep my feet in the right place. If they float all over, I move around too much and my feet end up in the wrong place.