Likes Likes:  158
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  5
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: FSSB #4 Beerneuring

Post Thanks / Like

Default FSSB #4 Beerneuring

Do you like to bike? Do you like beer? If so, this side bet is for you. The rules are simple:

1. Ride your bike to a brewery or brewpub. I estimate that there are about 40 breweries or brewpubs that can be reached by bike from DC, 10 of them are in DC.
    2. Acquire a beer brewed at that location.
    3. Take a picture of the beer.
    4. Taste the beer.
    5. Post on this thread the picture of the beer, the location, and a comment about the beer. It can be anything from "tastes like beer" to "the hop aroma contained kiwi fruit and mango that was matched by a good malt backbone, which added a hint of cracked granite".
    6. Whomever posts entries from the most number of breweries or brewpubs by the end of Freezing Saddles wins!
    7. The winner will receive a bottle of beer that reflects the nature of the competition. If only a few participate and the winner had 3 entries, then you will get a good bottle but nothing super special. If the competition is heated and the winner has 30 entries, then I will do my best to get something special.

A few further clarifications:

1. BE SAFE! No riding while under the influence. If you rode your bike to the brewery but find that you need to get a ride or take Metro home, the entry still counts.
    2. You can go to more than one brewery on a ride, but see above.
    3. The beer must be made at that location. Having a 3 Stars at the local bar does not count. Nothing at the Capital City in DC counts because it is all made in Shirlington.
    4. Some brewpubs have more than one location. A trip to each location counts.
    5. Keep in mind that this competition is to visit the most number of breweries and brewpubs. Once you visit and have a beer at a brewery or brewpub, then you cannot post another entry for that brewery or brewpub, even if you go back later and try a different beer.
    6. It is not required, but try to go on at least one brewery tour. Fun, educational and you usually get to sample beer.

Let me know if you have any questions and HAVE FUN!
    Last edited by sjclaeys; 01-16-2015 at 12:19 PM. Reason: More clarifying

Post Thanks / Like

Dangit, the Inquisition was at Franklin's on Tuesday.

We may have to drop by and convince them to name a beer "Heresy by Deed" for us.

Post Thanks / Like

Now this is my kind of side bet! Do breweries outside of the DC Metro Area count?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sunyata View Post
    Now this is my kind of side bet! Do breweries outside of the DC Metro Area count?
    Good question and something that I thought would come up. Yes, breweries outside of the DC Metro area count.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Clarification

Please note that I edited the rules to makes sure that there is no misunderstanding on how to compete. The point is to visit the most number of breweries or brewpubs by bike. Once you have visited one and made an entry, you cannot later go back, have another beer and make another entry. For example, if you go to Port City tomorrow, have a beer, and make an entry, that is it for Port City.

Post Thanks / Like

Since I am running the competition, I am not competing but I will put in entries. To kick things off, here is mine:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0880.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	86.0 KB 
ID:	7535

Port City Brewing Ways & Means - Nice body for a saison from the use of rye malt, which also adds some spiciness. Bright, citrus hop aroma and flavor but balanced. Very good beer plus not often do you get to drink a beer named after where you work.

Post Thanks / Like

With Rockford at Port City

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	90.8 KB 
ID:	7545

It's a little hard to see in the pic, but I'm having their Colossal Two smoked imperial porter. Much like a German rauchbier, it has a distinct, but mild smoke flavor. The smoke lends a slight astringency that balances well against the deep body and high alcohol of the imperial style. Ultimately, it's a very complex flavor profile, making for a serious beer. Highly recommended, perhaps in small quantities.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

It tasted like beer.

Post Thanks / Like

Default FSSB #4 Beerneuring

Name:	highres_433397330.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	72.4 KB 
ID:	7548
    Port City Brewing Pedal & Pint ride with msalemme, consularider, bikewoman, and me (plus a few non-BAFS15 folks). Mine was Optimal Wit. I don't think it optimized me or made me witty but it tasted pretty good, especially since I didn't pay for it.
    Last edited by kwarkentien; 01-17-2015 at 11:50 PM.

Steve O is offline 5000+ Posts? The first step to beating addiction is admitting you have one.
    Post Thanks / Like

This was the Optimal Wit at Port City. It tasted optimally witty.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015-01-17 12.28.46.jpg 
Views:	410 
Size:	86.0 KB 
ID:	7557   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015-01-17 12.24.13.jpg 
Views:	404 
Size:	93.9 KB 
ID:	7558