Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Help me argue with myself

Post Thanks / Like

I second the "clipless>platforms" sentiment. I do still run platforms on the DH and DJ bikes (aka bikes I might need to get off of in a hurry), but I can't imagine running platforms for anything I'm going to pedal for more than 30 seconds at a time. But I can see where a bike you are on and off of a lot (like short distance errands), platforms would be nice because you can run normal shoes. Even MTB shoes aren't super comfortable to walk around in a whole lot.

Post Thanks / Like

I ride a heavy 20-year-old mountain bike with platform pedals. Itís all Iíve got. I wear my street clothes plus sneakers or snow boots. Sometimes in winter that means wearing three pairs of pants. The bike gets me where I need to go, and it keeps me happy. Who cares what anyone thinks.

3. Likes Powerful Pete liked this post
    ELITE Vicegrip ELITED this post
    jrenaut is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I had those pedals on my regular commuter and was relieved when we got the cargo bike and I could transfer them (my wife wears regular shoes when she rides it) and get double-sided SPDs. I find I never ride in regular shoes. And I switched from toe clips to SPDs because of knee issues - the SPDs make sure my feet are in the right spot and my legs are aligned properly. Now that I'm used to them, I feel much more comfortable wearing them than not.

5. Likes sethpo, dasgeh liked this post
    vvill is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I wear lycra and platforms in the winter a lot, since I often just wear regular winter boots for really cold days (I haven't bothered investing in clipless winter boots), whereas I don't wear baggy stuff much for anything more than a few miles. I do really like clipless pedals but I've found I can pedal satisfactorily on platforms too. I'm more likely to suddenly want to stick out a leg when there's ice/snow around anyway,

I've actually been contemplating getting a nicer set of platform pedals that has removable/adjustable pins so I can really grip them properly with my shoes. For some reason I seem to gravitate towards the xpedo line-up even though I don't do any BMX/trials/MTBing etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dplasters View Post

Also, has anyone seen the lycra + platform combo? In the winter some tights really would be nice for the better ankle warmth vs pants. I should just stop worrying about what other people think shouldn't I?
    I did it for years. The style points might be different for girls vs. boys. I wore lycra because I didn't like shorts bunching up while riding, and I rode with platforms because I didn't know any different.

Then I tried riding clipped in. Love it so much more than platforms.

Post Thanks / Like

My wife refuses to ride with clips, so she is all platform all the time. And she kits up for even the shortest of rides. Your pedal should not be a limitation or indicator of anything. Ride how you like. PERIOD

9. Likes Vicegrip, KLizotte, Steve O, rolo, cyclingfool and 1 others liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The crazy thing for me is that padded lycra bike tights/shorts are way more comfortable than anything else. So is being clipped in. And this was after about a year of blissfully riding platforms/toe cages with sweatpants. No chance I would ever go back.

That said, I will never look as good as TwoWheels or Dismal. That's the trade off. :\

11. ELITE dasgeh ELITED this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dplasters View Post
    But then I would be wearing lycra and riding on platforms, which I can't say I've ever witnessed before.

Also, has anyone seen the lycra + platform combo? In the winter some tights really would be nice for the better ankle warmth vs pants. I should just stop worrying about what other people think shouldn't I?
    Hello.

I look like an idiot. It works for me.

I've ridden clipless, but went back to platforms one winter (for boot purposes) and stuck with em ever since.

Nobody cares, nor should they be caring about how you like to ride.

Occasionally Arlington, VA. But mainly in Lima, Peru.
    Post Thanks / Like

Firmly in the technical clothing and clipless camp. I dress like a roadie because, until moving to DC, I was almost exclusively a roadie, so I have quite a bit of technical gear. The gear looks goofy to non-cyclists but it works - it makes me ride more efficiently and comfortably.

And no, I don't look particularly good in lycra these days, but I'm Italian and rather more self confident than I should be and therefore everyone needs to see me in my lycra-clad glory.

Do what works and feels most comfortable. Given where you are coming from the MTB-ish clothing and platform/spd pedal combo might be a good place to go.

14. Likes ShawnoftheDread liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll echo the benifits of a platform/SPD combo pedal, like the Shimano's shown earlier. While clipping in on a single sided pedal is not as quick with this pedal as it is with a true dual sided SPD that trade off it worth the benifits. It's nice to be able to use the clipless pedal on my commute and then to hop on the bike in dress shoes for a ride across the city to a meeting or for a lunch engadgement.

Also, in terms of shoes, there are quite a few that don't scream "I'm a cycling shoe!", like the pearl Izumi Alp X, that also perform quite well.

16. Likes kwarkentien liked this post