Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0

Thread: Hi !

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hi !

Im new to Bike Arlington and new to biking in general. I just bought a used commuter bike to make it to work and back. I bike from Branch Ave to Joint Base Anacostia near Anacostia Metro when the weather is right. Its a pretty rough ride and not biker friendly, or friendly at all. I joined for moral support haha. Tips and tricks are also good. Ill be looking to replace a few old parts on my Novara Arriba and who knows, this may be a new hobbie of mine.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome.

How many miles is your ride?

3. 06-08-2011, 09:32 AM

Post Thanks / Like

Just about 5.4

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome! That is a tough corridor to be riding in. I don't know the area well, but I've often found that Google Maps is my friend when it comes to exploring alternative routes to get the places that I need to go. I don't mind weaving around a bit and taking a slightly longer route if it means that I can stay off super busy streets. That sometimes doesn't work at all. Often a little thinking outside the box is a good thing though.

Good luck! Rock on!

Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Pete! Im still ironing out the best route to take, due to the tough area, but Google Maps started me out in the right direction. Im excited to be biking, I used to do a little bmx in high school and even though its not the same thing I'm glad to be on 2 wheels again. Now I just need to learn how to work on a bike with gears haha.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome,

Good Luck on that ride sounds like it could be pretty rough. Does that route save you time vs. taking a car? Or at least worth the ride fitness wise?
    What branch are you in?

I too am new to cycling and am planning on taking one of these classes to help tune my skills. http://www.waba.org/education/calendar.php

Good Luck, stay safe out there.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool, thank for the link! what Im getting out of the ride is a workout and a break at the pump. I drive a pick up and the local driving is what gets me. Also I run often and am preparing for a half marathon this September. The bike breaks the schedule up and keeps me interested in my goal.

Post Thanks / Like

oh, and. In the Navy

Post Thanks / Like

Very cool sir, thank you for your service and dedication.

There are many good reasons to hit the roads around here.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SteveTheTech View Post
    Very cool sir, thank you for your service and dedication.

There are many good reasons to hit the roads around here.
    Thank you SteveTheTech, I am really enjoying the support I get from this forum. I've already started a few newbie threads and thought I may get a little blow back or negative comments from trolls but everyone seems to be friendly and helpful.