Likes Likes:  576
Dislikes Dislikes:  3
ELITE ELITE:  24
Page 41 of 44 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 ... LastLast

Thread: January 2015 Trail Conditions

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chris_s View Post
    Make sure to tell the County Board. There has been grumbling from some circles of the county about the expense. The board needs to hear that it is appreciated.
    I just did. Thanks for the link.

Post Thanks / Like

DC->Herndon late morning, studs:

Rhode Island, M St.: pretty normal.
    Key Bridge: oh goodness, the wind, this ride going to be interesting.
    Custis: perfect, thank you Arlington!
    W&OD: pretty clear until falls church, then started seeing some snow/ice, esp. on the bridges. Cautious. A slow build-up of ice/snow patches the further west I went. There's a section just east of Reston Town Center which was particularly icy where I bailed to the softer snow to the north of the trail for that segment. Probably would have been fine with the studs, but why risk it?

The ride should normally take about 2h20m (cargo bike+cargo). Took about 3h today. Also, the pedal came loose again about 2.5 miles from Herndon, re-torqued it. Might drop by Bikekinetic to talk with Pete if things work out on the way home and he's still there.

Post Thanks / Like

Two questions:

Is W&OD clear from intersection with Custis to Columbia Pike? I need to go to Bob and Edith's in morning. If not clear I'll take Custis to George Mason. I am riding studs but still, in the dark at 6 a.m. tomorrow I'd rather avoid anything dicey.

Is TR bridge clear?

DismalScientist is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

WOD (between Custis and Shirlington) is clear except for the 6 snow covered bridges and icy patches near the 3 underpasses. Also, there's a big ice patch due to groundwater seepage from the slope between George Mason and Columbia Pike. It's fine with slicks with potential dismounts around these potential issues.

KLizotte is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Arlington, VA by way of MA and London, UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mikoglaces View Post
    I just did. Thanks for the link.
    I just sent a note of thanks too.

Post Thanks / Like

The W&OD between Park St and Gallows still stinks as of 9:30 tonight, if you ask me. You wouldn't have to press me much to say that it stinks from Virginia Ln into Falls Church, either. Glad I'll be taking streets into Annandale tomorrow instead of going to my usual haunts: skinny tires, here we come! Here's to hoping the projected rain will clear things up Thursday afternoon (and the snow Thursday evening won't ruin everything again!).

rcannon100 is offline Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies!
    Post Thanks / Like

Trollheim is very icy

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

News you can use (i.e. others haven't reported):

TR Bridge is 100% clear. If you're coming from Rosslyn, you only have to navigate a small section of trollheim, with no turns, and there's definitely ice, but nothing that will take down a careful cyclist.

W&OD from Shirlington to Bluemont Trail turn off (as reported by husband on bakfiets): completely clear except the bridges. Would not have wanted to do it on a racing bike with slicks, but anything more substantial should be fine.

Bluemont Trail: 100% clear.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm interested in hearing from the P.M. crew whether the WOD is doable on slicks from Reston to Gallows. I really want to ride tomorrow, but have a 7:45 appointment, so I won't have much room for error re: surprises/delays (walking).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vern View Post
    I'm interested in hearing from the P.M. crew whether the WOD is doable on slicks from Reston to Gallows. I really want to ride tomorrow, but have a 7:45 appointment, so I won't have much room for error re: surprises/delays (walking).
    I went from Falls Church to Herndon this a.m. on studs. A lot of the trail is clear, but there are sections where it's not good. The pic is westbound W&OD at Wiehle. I hopped on the adjacent gravel portion in several spots where it was really icy. It's pretty crappy most of the way to the town center. Gallows to Park is still a mess too.

I'll be heading back through tonight and can give a status later.
    Attached Images Attached Images