Likes Likes:  576
Dislikes Dislikes:  3
ELITE ELITE:  24
Page 23 of 44 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread: January 2015 Trail Conditions

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dawn Patrol

Crystal City Connector clear to the MVT

A bit of ice remains on the northern MVT bridge at DCA but clear lines were abundant

Portions of the MVT to 14th Street were actually dry!

Ice/slush just north of the upstream span of the 14th Street Bridges (about 20 feet)

Bridge clear

Into the District, the only issue was a Park Police cruiser parked in the crosswalk at the northern entrance to the Jefferson. Had a brief but unsatisfying conversation with the officer who seemed unconcerned.

hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Similar to rolo's experience, W&OD from Arl to Reston was fine on slicks.

americancyclo is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Just wanted to add that although there is little ice, most of it is harder to see, at least it was before dawn. Be cautious if you know there was ice on the ground in the past few days. It may have melted enough to turn to black ice.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hozn View Post
    Similar to rolo's experience, W&OD from Arl to Reston was fine on slicks.
    Ditto that. The only place I saw meaningful ice was on the east side of the Carlin Springs underpass, where there was a fair amount of ice down to the 2nd wooden bridge. Otherwise, WOD was clear from Reston to the end of the line in Shirlington.

Post Thanks / Like

MVT from North Old Town to 14th st bridge was clear, even drying out is some spots. Airport bridges were also clear and dry. Tiny patch of slush right before turning onto the bridge ramp but very doable.

CCT northbound. Some slushy spots on the DC side, very passable though. I was on my hybrid with 32mm slicks. Further North I went the colder it got, as a result, some more patches of slush/ice around that tunnel, definitely icy though on a few small overpasses, like the one just north of the tunnel by the treatment plant, and where it crosses over Mass. Ave.

Otherwise I would say doable with some common sense. Just keep a reasonable pace and stay aware and you should be fine.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by americancyclo View Post
    Just wanted to add that although there is little ice, most of it is harder to see, at least it was before dawn. Be cautious if you know there was ice on the ground in the past few days. It may have melted enough to turn to black ice.
    I was 15-20 minutes slower than usual for this reason...looking for black ice. As I got to Falls Church around 7:15 I started to notice that some of the surface moisture was starting to freeze on the WOD. I guess at that point the temperatures had finally dropped below freezing.

Post Thanks / Like

I was on the W&OD for only a very short while - it was frosty and a little slippery around 8:30 between Railroad Ave. and Virginia Ln in Falls Church. I quickly got back on the road. I think I might need to figure out how to get my bike on the bus to get home tonight... I don't want to risk the ice in the dark.

Post Thanks / Like

Is TR bridge passable now?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vern View Post
    Ditto that. The only place I saw meaningful ice was on the east side of the Carlin Springs underpass, where there was a fair amount of ice down to the 2nd wooden bridge. Otherwise, WOD was clear from Reston to the end of the line in Shirlington.
    Continuing on the W&OD westbound into Herndon on slicks was equally fine. There was still some ice on the bridge over Herndon Parkway, but still passable.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Glencarlyn Park connector?

Many thanks for the WOD and MVT reports. My afternoon meetings will put me on both trails. I’m also wondering about the Glencarlyn Park connector trails (the hilly ones through the woods) to get over to Bailey’s Crossroads -- I'm planning to take those tonight to pick up some documents -- did anyone ride Glencarlyn today? Alternatively there’s always Columbia Pike, but the pike’s not my favorite ride in any weather. :+) Thanks!!