Likes Likes:  576
Dislikes Dislikes:  3
ELITE ELITE:  24
Page 21 of 44 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: January 2015 Trail Conditions

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by consularrider View Post
    Also the W&OD from Bluemont to Sparrow Pond (Glencarlyn Park milepost 2) is about 50% totally clear, clear single track on other portions, but has several long stretches that are packed snow or ice covered with no clear line.
    Prior to tonight's freezing rain, this was rideable if you are confident and can keep your line. I rode the entire length on my 3-speed with wide slicks--not even knobbies. If you aren't quite that confident, the total walking distance would be pretty short. I wouldn't discourage anyone from going this way.

Post Thanks / Like

Be careful this AM... Any untreated spots that stay shady might have 0 traction!

Post Thanks / Like

Just rode Crystal City to DC

Crystal City Connector is pretty icy from the RR underpass to the tunnel under the GWMP

The northern DCA bridge (DCA exit to the GWMP) is really bad. I saw a cyclist go down right ahead of me, causing me to not want to give my studs a chance to fail me. There is a pretty good line for walking on the north (GWMP) side of the bridge.

A couple of patches of ice on the north sides of the RR, WMATA and highway bridges at 14th Street.

Bridge was clear as were the roads into SW.

That is all.

Post Thanks / Like

Consularrider’s WOD report was spot-on. The key take-away was that there are substantial stretches still covered with ice and packed snow. I’m glad that SteveO felt “confident” in riding these parts, but I’ll just say that, with so much ice and snow on the trail, the exact timing of the ride makes a huge difference.

I rode the WOD twice yesterday. My early ride was slippery and somewhat unnerving. On my return, some hours later, the slight amount of thawing had made a dramatic difference. So my return was relatively easy, even though I was not “confident” given that my knee was hurting (from smashing on the WOD-ice Friday night) and even though I had a heavy load of groceries on my back.

This morning I expect the WOD is way too dangerous to ride with the freezing rain on top of all the remaining ice and snow. I’m planning to stay off of it until tomorrow.

Post Thanks / Like

I did a slip and fall just into Georgetown off the Key Bridge earlier this morning. FS Key Park Brick is super slick. I made it about 10 feet before going down hard, but I'm surprised I made it that far. That was around 6:50. Avoid riding on the brick!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnoftheDread View Post
    I don't really notice stickies or sub-forums in tapatalk, which is the main way I look at the Forum. Just timeline or unread posts.

I also only look at unread when using tapatalk. Guess we'll just have to start using the subscribe feature.

americancyclo is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cephas View Post
    I did a slip and fall just into Georgetown off the Key Bridge earlier this morning. FS Key Park Brick is super slick. I made it about 10 feet before going down hard, but I'm surprised I made it that far. That was around 6:50. Avoid riding on the brick!
    That brick is also off camber and you have the perfectly aligned sewer covers to deal with as well!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dbb View Post
    The northern DCA bridge (DCA exit to the GWMP) is really bad. I saw a cyclist go down right ahead of me, causing me to not want to give my studs a chance to fail me. There is a pretty good line for walking on the north (GWMP) side of the bridge....
    The southern National Airport bridge is just as bad. There are clear 18 inch strips at both rails, but major ice in between. I expect those strips to be smooth solid ice tomorrow morning.

The Trollheim bridges have mostly clear dual tracks, but there are still a couple of short sections where those tracks disappear into ice. I thought Key Bridge was pretty good, but I guess my studded tires helped me avoid the embarassment of once again falling on slick bricks.

Overall, I was pleased with my decision to ride the studded tire bike this morning.

Post Thanks / Like

Pentagon to SW Waterfront was fine except for the slate path through LBJ Grove/Columbia Island. There is still some slush covered ice ruts. I went down when I put my foot down and my foot slipped on the slush. Only bruised ego. Careful out there!

Post Thanks / Like

Lee Highway from EFC to the Key Bridge is so so so great on slicks. And when I say great, I mean wet and cold and occasionally terrifying!