Likes Likes:  135
Dislikes Dislikes:  2
ELITE ELITE:  8
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Alert!!! Happy hour date change - now friday, jan 9

Post Thanks / Like

Default Alert!!! Happy hour date change - now friday, jan 9

The happy hour has been changed to Friday, Jan. 9. Same place and time - Capitol City Brewing Company in Shirlington at 6 p.m.

Getting here:

This is one time when transportation other than biking might be a better option for many of us. As of Thursday evening, the bridges, approaches and MVT were reportedly still icy and rutted and many trails or trail segments had large patches of ice. Some melting today followed by refreezing may make conditions even worse tonight. Nevertheless, there is a separate thread with convoy information and several people (mostly with studded tires) plan to bike.

it's easy to get to Shirlington and Cap City by bus, most of which come non-stop from the Pentagon metro station. The Shirlington bus Station is just a little more than around the corner from Cap City. Buses with direct routes from the Pentagon to Shirlington are the 7C, 7A, 7E, ART 87X and I think one of the 23's or 25's. You might want to check the WMATA trip planner. Lots of buses run at rush hour, but fewer head back later on, so some planned leaving time options might be helpful.

Car and bike parking info is on the diagram at the end of this post. In addition to the bike racks shown, there are many U racks under a shelter near the bus station and also at the library down the street. Those with cable locks can also lock up to lamp posts. Kel and Casey know the area and will be keeping an eye out in case anyone needs help finding bike parking. (However, with the weather being this cold, I'm no longer concerned about parking for 77 bikes. )

While the event starts at 6, you're welcome to show up earlier if you would like to. A few of us will be there setting up starting around 5:30.

The event:

Because we have such a large group, we are asking for a $5-$10 cash contribution for a light appetizer buffet and some platters on the tables. Any leftover funds will be used for the final happy hour event.

We'll have some area biking maps available as well as the reflective blue bike forum tags, which are probably pretty good identifiers for our group. In addition, I believe that Miss Myrna has volunteered to provide an opportunity to order Girl Scout cookie fuel for cyclists.

We have an area in the back of the room where panniers, backpacks and jackets can be left and where you can pick up your nametags and team numbers, as well as maps and reflective tags if you need any.

In case our room gets too crowded, I've reserved a few booths in the main restaurant area where teammates and friends can get together for dinner etc.

Gold nuggets will be awarded at 7 pm and we may have a brief announcement or two and can take some team photos if people would like them.

Parking:

Bike and car parking is plentiful and most garages in Shirlington are free after 5 pm. (See diagram below)

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Looking forward to seeing everyone!

Shirlington parking.pdf.
    Last edited by Arlingtonrider; 01-09-2015 at 10:35 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

In. Coffee club(s) in the morning, happy hour at night. Maybe we should just ride all day in-between!

Post Thanks / Like

I will do my best to be there.

Post Thanks / Like

Cyndi, love that idea (if I'm on your team)!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Arlingtonrider View Post
    Due to an unanticipated issue, we need to change our happy hour to Friday, Jan. 9.

Very sorry about this, everyone! I'm hoping Friday will work out all right for most of you, and might even be easier for some.

Unfortunately, I need to go through the whole head count thing over again. PLEASE LET ME ASAP KNOW IF YOU PLAN TO COME!!

We'd love to see you there, and will accommodate all who confirm with me on this thread!!!

Same place and time? Capital City, Shirlington, 6pm?

rcannon100 is offline Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies!
    Post Thanks / Like

In

ShawnoftheDread is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

In, plus 3. Warning: a Mini Dread plans to bring a GS cookie sign up sheet. Count your blessings she's not bringing actual cookies; kid's a pusher.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greenbelt View Post
    Same place and time? Capital City, Shirlington, 6pm?
    Yes, same time and place! Thanks for asking so I clarify that in the first post of this thread. Will add the parking info there too. I hope you and bikenurse can make it!

Post Thanks / Like

Now I can go! Now Rockford can't go.

Post Thanks / Like

I can do this.

Convoy from D.C. meet at Cabi station by the bridge again?