Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yay for biking!

lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.

Default Yay for biking!

and healthy eating (including my wife's preference for preparing huge salads)

To paraphrase this morning's conversation just a bit:

"This isn't just the medication. It doesn't lower bad cholesterol THAT much, and it has only minimal effects on triglycerides. This is probably diet and exercise. Keep it up, I am lowering the med dosage, see me in 6 months"

"Now I have an excuse to make some more biking related purchases!"

KLizotte is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Arlington, VA by way of MA and London, UK

Congratulations!

Congratulations! The exact same thing happened to me...drastically lower cholesterol (and blood pressure) leading to reduced dosages and eventually the total elimination of some medications. As it turns out, the best medicine was getting on my bike most everyday.

I've always had average blood pressure, thankfully, and before I began obsessively cycling, my hear rate was usually about 80. I took this picture Saturday after using one of those blood pressure machines at the pharmacy.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 498
Size:  88.0 KB

Pulse: LOW?

Quote Originally Posted by dkel View Post
    I've always had average blood pressure, thankfully, and before I began obsessively cycling, my hear rate was usually about 80. I took this picture Saturday after using one of those blood pressure machines at the pharmacy.

Pulse: LOW?
    High blood pressure runs in my family (both sides), so much so that a sister of mine (she is relatively fit) once remarked to a doctor when he asked her the family medical history: "I already know I'm going to die of a heart attack."

Dark humor aside, your blood pulse is low compared to the average human, but from all the cycling you can safely consider yourself an athlete. Explanation from the Johns Hopkins Medicine site:
    The normal pulse for healthy adults ranges from 60 to 100 beats per minute. The pulse rate may fluctuate and increase with exercise, illness, injury, and emotions. Females ages 12 and older, in general, tend to have faster heart rates than do males. Athletes, such as runners, who do a lot of cardiovascular conditioning, may have heart rates near 40 beats per minute and experience no problems.

lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.

My blood pressure which had become an issue for the first time last year is now back to completely normal, and my blood sugar is still an issue, but barely (and more exercise should help)

I love it when a plan comes together! But the big news is the LDL and the triglycerides, which have not been this good in years.

Occasionally Arlington, VA. But mainly in Lima, Peru.

Congratulations to the OP!

Congrats to all you healthy people! Due to improvements in lifestyle, intervention and unknown factors, the bicycling demographic, at least, is at rapidly declining risk of heart disease and stroke, across the country. The next target is Alzheimer disease and even that rate may be responding. Given the bleakness of much health news, that's comforting.

Update

All cholesterol numbers are even better than last year, including triglycerides. HDL finally up above 40, first time in years. Blood sugar best in years, just barely above normal range (and that could be the statins) (BP was a bit high today, but that tends to vary and he wants me to get it checked again at the clinic at work, if possible)

Doc "can you convince the folks out in the waiting room to do this?"

Only bad news - doc says that to go off statins, given age and family history, LDLs would have to be below 40, which is very very unlikely to happen.

It also does wonders for my mental health! (do they have a little cross eyed smiley face?)