Likes Likes:  213
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  15
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Newbie Thread--Come say hi!

TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by historygeek View Post
    Yeah. I'm also a historian.
    Cooool. Any particular era/region/topic?

Post Thanks / Like

I'm Ed, I'm relatively new to the forum but I've been commuting year-round for many years. My commute is about 28 miles a day (roundtrip) on my current route from the Mount Vernon area to DC. Tomorrow, I'm on-track to hit 3,000 miles for the year, and I'm looking forward to surpassing that in 2015. I also enjoy bike touring and have done the full C&O twice (once with the GAP added in from McKeesport), the Pine Creek Rail Trail, and a few overnights on the C&O for good measure.

I've always enjoyed riding in weather that people think I'm crazy to ride in. I've ridden in rain, snow, a tropical storm, ice, sleet, and in temperatures from 7F to around 115F. I'm looking forward to having some extra motivation to get out into the elements and test my mettle out there. One thing that has helped me in the resolve department is to pack the night before. That way it is actually more work to not bike than to hop on the saddle and go.

I'm looking forward to meeting everyone and having a good time virtually braving the elements together. This is going to be fun.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi all -

I'm Tim. I commute year round from Arlington/Falls Church to Herndon.

I've been following the forum intermittently this year.

I'm looking forward to participating in Freezing Saddles and meeting more of my fellow riders.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TimV View Post
    Hi all -

I'm Tim. I commute year round from Arlington/Falls Church to Herndon.

I've been following the forum intermittently this year.

I'm looking forward to participating in Freezing Saddles and meeting more of my fellow riders.
    Be sure to check out coffee clubs in Vienna on Thursdays and Herndon on Fridays (which isn't on the calendar for some reason, but the thread about it is here; never made it out there myself, so I can only assume it's still going).

Post Thanks / Like

Default hi!

Hi all! New to the forum, and new to Freezing Saddles, but have been commuting/biking for fun in the DC area for a couple years. Looking forward to a little extra motivation to keep it up through the winter this year!
    -Erin C

Post Thanks / Like

Another newbie chiming in. Hi, everyone!

I started bike commuting from OT Alexandria to Penn Quarter this past spring, and my commute quickly became one of the best parts of my day. I used to dread the windy days -- until I started reading the jokes on the forum about putting up a sail and cruising home on the MVT. I used to think that I'd have to stop bike commuting once it got dark, for safety reasons -- until I found the forum posts extolling the peacefulness of after-sunset rides and read the (extensive) forum posts about how to use bike lights properly. And now I'm hoping that the collective wisdom -- or should that be the collective insanity? -- of Freezing Saddles can teach me how to keep biking through the winter.

I'm looking forward to meeting everyone.

Post Thanks / Like

Newbies (and others) -

If you haven't already, please let me know by a post or PM (private message) if you plan to come to the Jan 8 happy hour. Best place to post that is on the happy hour thread. If I click "like" it means I have you on the list (in addition to liking, of course!).

Cap City cuts us a break on room reservations and does individual checks, but it helps them a lot when I can provide a good head count at least a few days in advance. (We also try to tip well )

Thanks, everyone! And Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

p.s. I'll add bike and car parking info to the first post in the happy hour thread later today.
    Last edited by Arlingtonrider; 12-23-2014 at 08:29 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by historygeek View Post
    Hi, All. I'm Christy, and am new to both the forum and to freezing saddles-- but not to freezing rides. I commute from Hyattsville to Foggy Bottom as long as the roads aren't icy, but it's only in the last year that I started regularly biking in rain/bitter cold/other conditions that make it hard to put on your helmet in the morning. I'm hoping freezing saddles will motivate me on those days, like today, when it's cold and wet.
    Hey, I'm from Hyattsville, too! I hope we cross paths sometime.

Post Thanks / Like

Hm...a fair number of Trolly Trail (Hyattsville/College Park) people here.

Perhaps a bit of Vigilante justice might be in order.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds good to me, Bruno!