Page 2 of 42 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 416

Thread: Freezing Saddles 2015 ~ At Least Yer Not in Kiev, Comrade

  1. #11
    jrenaut's Avatar
    jrenaut is online now I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Columbia Heights, DC
    Posts
    3,722
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Signup sheet is out. It is too late for discussion of miles and teams and fairness. Just go ride your bike.

  2. #12
    americancyclo's Avatar
    americancyclo is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    3,010
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dbb View Post
    Actually more in the algebraic sense with x being the unknown. Friday Coffee Cyclocross would make it too hard for me to enjoy my scone!
    I appreciated your use of a variable when mentioning FCC, but the CX designation has flooded my brain, so I immediately went there. I also appreciate that it might then become FC^3X

  3. #13
    dasgeh's Avatar
    dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    5,178
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dplasters View Post
    So this is my first freezing saddles. I dug deep into my soul and got a Strava account because I figured the competition would keep me going through the winter. I didn't pay for a premium one, I'm simply trying to build up the task of logging onto a website.

    I commute through most anything (so far...). My weekends however are generally full of house renovation work at the current moment (We're new home owners... we might as well live at Home Depot). So group rides are very very unlikely at this point. Where does this put me? Am I "playing?" or am I a woosie who "doesn't show up to play?".

    Also, my commute is like 13 miles round trip. This makes me a slacker I am thinking.



    Sidenote - Strava tells me I broke the speed limit on Vaden Drive yesterday always good to confirm going over 30.
    Wait, wait, you need not be a slacker (though you are free to do so if you please). The whole point of the structure of the competition is to make sure there's a place for everyone - the long mileage and the short mileage - and give us all a reason to keep going. Your team will have some high mileage people on it (not sure where we landed on the whole team assigning), to balance out the high mileage people on other teams. You just need to be honest on the form, and you'll be good.

    Part of your team may try to organize a group ride. You are free to decline. What we don't want are people who sign up then don't read the forum AND don't come to happy hours AND don't do group rides. You do the first, so you're solid.

    PS, rcannon, isn't joining the forum absolutely necessary, and group rides/happy hours bonuses? as in, we don't want randos that don't join the forum, even if they do do group rides?

  4. Likes cyclingfool liked this post
  5. #14
    jrenaut's Avatar
    jrenaut is online now I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Columbia Heights, DC
    Posts
    3,722
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dasgeh View Post
    ...The whole point of the structure of the competition is to make sure there's a place for everyone - the long mileage and the short mileage - and give us all a reason to keep going...
    Exactly - my commute last year was 7 miles round trip and I didn't get out on many long extra rides but I was a solid contributor to my team because I rode every single day and because I rode the miles I said I was going to ride going in. You only hurt your team if you say you'll do 150 a week then you do 25. Also RCannon may hunt you down.

  6. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fairfax, VA (Near GMU)
    Posts
    1,211
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I don't think joining the forum should be necessary, but encouraged. For example my wife is not on the forum but she will be doing FS. She will get the messages from me, most likely. She will probably not be doing any group rides/happy hours/coffee clubs based on her commute. Still FS will be good for her and She will be good for FS.

  7. Likes Raymo853 liked this post
  8. #16
    dasgeh's Avatar
    dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    5,178
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    I don't think joining the forum should be necessary, but encouraged. For example my wife is not on the forum but she will be doing FS. She will get the messages from me, most likely. She will probably not be doing any group rides/happy hours/coffee clubs based on her commute. Still FS will be good for her and She will be good for FS.
    Maybe "access to forum info" then? I think spouses/partners/very close friends are the exception.

  9. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Fairfax/Vienna/Falls Church
    Posts
    432
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jrenaut View Post
    Exactly - my commute last year was 7 miles round trip and I didn't get out on many long extra rides but I was a solid contributor to my team because I rode every single day and because I rode the miles I said I was going to ride going in. You only hurt your team if you say you'll do 150 a week then you do 25. Also RCannon may hunt you down.
    Ok this is what I hoped it was structured like but didn't want to assume.


    I'm all for happy hours... that occur at Black Fin on Gallows, the Mosaic District (Fairfax), Sweetwater, Artie's at Fairfax Circle, Anything downtown Vienna... All you urban people. Everyone knows the real cyclists live in suburbia. Obvi. Bike lanes pft... who needs those?




    Sidebar - I would like some bike lanes.

  10. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Washington DC
    Posts
    8
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Help!

    I am attempting to register for my first Freezing Saddles. I have been using Strava for a couple of years (well, I have an account), but I don't have an athlete number. In my profile, it shows www.strava.com/athletes/lesly_j. The Google doc will only take a number. Any idea how I get a number vs my name?
    Last edited by LeslyJ; 12-02-2014 at 11:33 AM.

  11. #19
    jrenaut's Avatar
    jrenaut is online now I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Columbia Heights, DC
    Posts
    3,722
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LeslyJ View Post
    I am attempting to register for my first Freezing Saddles. I have been using Strava for a couple of years (well, I have an account), but I don't have an athlete number. In my profile, it shows www.strava.com/athlete/lesly_j. The Google doc will only take a number. Any idea how I get a number vs my name?
    On your profile, hover your mouse over your picture next to one of your rides. In the bottom left of your browser you should see the URL with your number. Unless you have a recent version of IE, in which case you should 1) download Firefox or Chrome 2) right click the picture and select "copy shortcut" then paste that into a text file or something where you can read it.

  12. #20
    dasgeh's Avatar
    dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    5,178
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    When I click on your link above, and then on the graph, I get an athlete # of 702966 for you.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •