Likes Likes:  44
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  6
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Feeding Saddles - FSSB#1 Spoiler

Post Thanks / Like

Default Feeding Saddles - FSSB#1 Spoiler

Good morning gang. I wanted to announce that this year's Freezing Saddles will be so much better than last year for 2 reasons. One, This year my wife will be joining us, AND two we want to take advantage of the FS energy to do some real good. I want to guage your interest for this so please respond. I was thinking of having the first FSSB be a charity drive called "Feeding Saddles". I am going to create a crowdrise site for Freezing Saddles, and use our positive energy and positive publicity to raise real money for charity. If we could get donations of even a penny a mile, and 10-cents a day (0.01 per point) across the entire group we could raise a lot of money. I figure the funds could be split between local food banks and/or Phoenix bikes. We could have a contest to see which team brings in more loot, etc. I would love to be able to work with hozn to link the crowdrise site to freezing saddles. What does everyone think?

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Love it. Don't forget WABA.

Post Thanks / Like

Before rcannon jumps in - what are the liability aspects here? I'm all for raising money for charity but don't want to open up BikeArlington to anyone else to tremendous legal liability.

Post Thanks / Like

I figured by using a legitimate non-profit donation collection site like crowdrise, the members of the blog and Bike Arlington don't actually handle any money. We would just use this forum to raise awareness.
    All of the actual transactions would be on that site.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, but Bob has mentioned before that simply making this an organized thing beyond just some friends riding bikes may introduce the liability. Perhaps he or another lawyer would like to take over.

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

I would think that liability only attaches if there's a requirement. If it's encouraged and recognized, that's different.

Post Thanks / Like

so after playing around on Crowdrise, it looks something like this. The nature of the side bet and the charity campaign would be entirely voluntary, and entirely separate from this site. Individuals could sign up. Teams could register under the same event and sign up. It isn't clear how to support more than 1 charity but I will contact the crowdrise folks to figure that out. Let me know what you think.

Steve O is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

Tiny correction: the competition runs through the last day of winter, March 19 at 11:59:59.99, not the first day of spring.

rcannon100 is offline Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies!
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better. ~~Samuel Beckett
    Post Thanks / Like

First, this is massive. And if we can make this work, sweet. 5 Pointless Points awarded to Mikey.

I am not an expert on this stuff. I am not an expert on this stuff. I am not an expert on this stuff.

I think the problem is when there is a fee for participation. You now have an exchange - you have a contract - and you have an organization of some type (whether it is a person or something else). You now have a contractual relationship and the potential of breaches of that contractual relationship.

With no fee and no organization, we emphasize this is a bunch of friends goofing off. No condition to particpate. No required fee. No contract. I think it is hard for people to have a complaint when it is 100% volunteer, no fee involved, no organization and we fully disclaim that all weeze are is all weeze are.

So now Mikey comes up with this voluntary way of Mitvah. Mikey is a Mench (look it up). I think this is ziskeyt.

I note that Crowdrise takes 5% off the top and then another 3% for credit card fees so that is 8% off the top.

I am not an expert on this stuff. But I think this is wonderful.

Post Thanks / Like

Variations:

Pledge per subfreezing mile or mile ridden while snowing, using the Strava/meteorology connections in the bafs application...