Likes Likes:  6
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Suggestions on a good wind layer in cold weather?

vvill is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I use a Gore Windstopper soft shell as my go-to in the winter. The sleeves are detachable, and with appropriate layering my core has never been too cold with it. I have a Twin Six (made by Voler) jacket too but it's often too warm/doesn't breathe enough.
    Last edited by vvill; 11-21-2014 at 08:50 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Another vote for Gore Bike Wear. Heading into my fourth winter of riding after many years off. Buying Windstopper products by Gore was a game changer for me. I threw out all my antiquated cold weather gear and replaced it with Gore Bike Wear cold weather gear.

I have the Gore Phantom Soft-Shell Convertible jacket and use it when it is in the 30s or lower. I noticed they are on sale at REI right now.

I have recently acquired one of their their Windstopper base layer shirts. I have typically used wool as a base layer so it will be interesting to see how they compare.

Post Thanks / Like

Windstopper and its imitators are great. I wore mine today. But wash regularly, if not daily, and hang dry overnight. Synthetics really can clamp on the stink.

Post Thanks / Like

OK, just to reply to this thread with my solution. I have tried various windproof layers but I couldn't get one that had enough venting. I ended up with this item from Eastern Mountain Sports. It's windlock on the front and front of the sleeves only. I only need a lightweight wool layer under it in the 30s. Add another thin layer for riding in the 20s. Perfect.