Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fixed gear chain tension

TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrenaut View Post
    I noticed that mine was loose when I was slowing without the brake - there was a funny "hop" in the pedal when I was getting slack in the chain rather than slowing the bike. I'm on the cargo bike with the kids today, but hope to maybe sneak out somewhere on the fixie this weekend...
    Sounds maybe borderline too loose...but really, short of the chain popping off (too loose) or binding your drivetrain (too tight), it's mostly personal preference. I prefer to stay on the tighter side, but my rear cog isn't perfectly round (pretty sure it's the cog and not my Omnium ring) so there is a slight bit of tension variance throughout the rotation...so I just set the tension based on the tightest section and I'm good to go.

Steve O is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm thinking mine might be a bit on the loose side. I was coming down the hill after crossing the Roosevelt Bridge into VA and using backpressure to slow. My chain popped right off. At first I thought I had broken it, except I think that's almost impossible.

It looks pretty good, though.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2019-08-26 19.12.31.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	91.3 KB 
ID:	20339Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2019-08-26 19.14.12.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	88.0 KB 
ID:	20340

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    I'm thinking mine might be a bit on the loose side. I was coming down the hill after crossing the Roosevelt Bridge into VA and using backpressure to slow. My chain popped right off. At first I thought I had broken it, except I think that's almost impossible.

Interesting, I had mentioned on your strava ride that it might be loose, but it doesn't really look it. I suppose it could be from a worn chain or ring, or maybe a bit of debris getting between the chain and ring.

I put a Surley Tugnut on my old fixie that pretty much stopped the loosening from happening. Unfortunately, my State has the same setup as yours, and I've bent the little understrength screws they've put in the frame to keep it from happening to the point that when I need to fix a flat, it has become difficult to unscrew. (Really need to replace those stupid screws before I forget.)

Post Thanks / Like

+1 for Surly tugnuts

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OneEighth View Post
    +1 for Surly tugnuts
    Surly Tugnuts are nice, but expensive ($30). If you don't need a bottle opener, consider simpler ones that work just as well, like the Redline ones which are ~1/4 the price ($15/pair) and come in different colors:

Name:	IMG_5576_med_rltenblk.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	34.3 KB 
ID:	20341

Whatever you get, avoid the ones that have 2 smaller bolts like the Spot Rocket Tensioner. They're a PITA.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post

You gotta have the track slack! But yeah I've crashed going over a bump and my chain popped off when I had a little too much slack.

7. Likes Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I am currently using an eccentric bottom bracket and it stays nice and tight. I do not recommend if you do a lot of mashing up hills because the added tightness and force will quickly result in a snapped chain, but this is excellent for the flats. Just keep your chain oiled to account for the higher forces on the rollers.