Likes Likes:  39
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  5
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fred

Post Thanks / Like

DismalScientist is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

The Fred (of the bikegeek type) in the cartoon should be running disc brakes.

Post Thanks / Like

She's not wearing yellow. That's contributory negligence.

Post Thanks / Like

Liked the article, especially these last lines:
    "Sacrificing some, or ignoring completely, concerns of speed or traditional roadie/sport cyclist style, these type of Freds are more concerned with practical concerns like comfort, safety, versatility, maintenance, being able to quickly transition to time and culture on/off the bicycle, etc. Freds of this type can be well aware of their fredness, once they are aware of the concept, and often embrace it wholeheartedly."

I am all about being practical, and wish to wholeheartedly embrace my fredness.

Post Thanks / Like

The person depicted in the original post of this thread is me. No doubt about it. I'm missing a few things, like the cupholders, fenders and a mirror, but I make up for that by rocking two (2) bells on my handlebars.
    Last edited by Arlingtonrider; 11-07-2014 at 12:36 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I went through a mental safety device counting exercise riding home last night in the dark:

-- two headlights
    -- one white blinky light on fork
    -- three rear-facing red blinky lights
    -- two side-facing red blinky lights on top tube for a grand total of 8 blinky lights (not counting spare in my trunk bag along w/ extra batteries)
    -- neon yellow reflective safety vest
    -- neon yellow pannier cover w/ reflective tape
    -- and for good measure, a reflective ankle band wrapped around my headset and frame

Oh and a helmet mounted mirror and random reflective bits on my clothing and reflectors on my wheels and a reflective "whitewall" stripe around my tires. And a bell.

So yup.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the two versions of Fred here are the serious cyclist with ridiculous gear, and the ridiculous cyclist with serious gear. My calves and I stand beside my gorgeous Pinarello and claim to be closer to the former group.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rcannon100 View Post
    I think it is the former. It follows, I believe, the mantra of "If I buy $5000 golf clubs, I am Tiger Woods." (The Dread version of the definition)
    Oh the tour player poser. Never get tired of them. They keep me supplied with used clubs on the cheap.

I generally equate fred to be the cycling equivalent of this. It never came up in the great bikes vs golf disturbance of 2014 but I suspect that many cycling freds (using my definition) are former golf posers and vice versa. Or at least the mind set is the same (but in my mind they are totally the same people).

I always just think of this Audi commercial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89uJz_us4PM

ShawnoftheDread is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrenaut View Post
    I think the two versions of Fred here are the serious cyclist with ridiculous gear, and the ridiculous cyclist with serious gear. My calves and I stand beside my gorgeous Pinarello and claim to be closer to the former group.
    You seem to be calling your calves serious and your new fixie ridiculous. You sure?

Steve O is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wheels&wings View Post
    Uh oh. Thatís a picture of me! :+)
    You don't have a rack.