Likes Likes:  30
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hot Eats; Cool Treats

Post Thanks / Like

I mostly stop at Carolina Bros for some pulled pork and a slice of pie. I've been meaning to try some of the places in leesburg, but I have this vague feeling like I might need to bring a lock and that seems like a pain.

Pro Tip: Wegmans sells Cheerwine by the case

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mstone View Post
    I mostly stop at Carolina Bros for some pulled pork and a slice of pie. I've been meaning to try some of the places in leesburg, but I have this vague feeling like I might need to bring a lock and that seems like a pain.

Pro Tip: Wegmans sells Cheerwine by the case
    I was disappointed by the lack of actual bike parking near some of the restaurants in Leesburg when I rode out there on my birthday. I ended up locking up to a sign in some mulch in front of a handicapped parking spot. Sad for a retail and restaurant cluster just a few blocks from the W&OD. That said, the Fire Works Pizza served up a mean and tasty calzone. Doner Bistro is my next dining destination in Leesburg.

Re: Wegmans, good to know. Thanks for the tip, although their unwillingness to locate inside the Beltway (or should I call it a stubborn insistence on snubbing urbanites?) means I'm almost NEVER near any of their store locations.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bobco85 View Post
    I always have to avoid looking too long at the Ben & Jerry's in Old Town Alexandria, but other than that I would probably say the barbecue that's on the W&OD at South Oakland St (near the Shirlington end of the W&OD). I see the smoke and smell the delicious food, but I have not stopped to grab a bite yet.

+1000 I make it a point to get Cheerwine when I stop at Carolina Brothers Pit BBQ because it's a rare find in this area! It also goes well with the pulled pork bbq sandwich
    Somehow I haven't stopped yet for the BBQ at S Oakland St. Every time I ride by I think to myself I should.

I stopped at Carolina Brothers on the way back from my first ride out to Leesburg. In fact the thought of BBQ is probably why my fastest segment was from my turn point to their parking lot.

Now mostly Manhattan (NYC) with time in Dominion Hills
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AFHokie View Post
    Somehow I haven't stopped yet for the BBQ at S Oakland St. Every time I ride by I think to myself I should.
    I've picked up a slab of ribs there a couple of times, very tasty, but they're messy to carry home.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by consularrider View Post
    I've picked up a slab of ribs there a couple of times, very tasty, but they're messy to carry home.
    That's because you're doing it in the wrong order! The proper order should be: long bike ride, stop for bbq, EAT the bbq, then longer bike ride to work off the calories (bbq sauce required to remain on face during the bike ride), get home, shower, collapse in bed

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bobco85 View Post
    That's because you're doing it in the wrong order! The proper order should be: long bike ride, stop for bbq, EAT the bbq, then longer bike ride to work off the calories (bbq sauce required to remain on face during the bike ride), get home, shower, collapse in bed
    sounds like a good recipe for even more bugs stuck to my face <envisions being chased by horde of flies>

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mstone View Post
    sounds like a good recipe for even more bugs stuck to my face <envisions being chased by horde of flies>
    But you're only supposed to have bbq sauce on your face AFTER you eat, not BEFORE

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Italian Store is delicious and just off the Custis, though I have a hard time supporting stores in that strip mall, given their hostility to the trail and cycling generally. Kite Runner on Lee Hwy between Oakland and Pollard is worth the detour (not that it's a detour for us - we live a block away).

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Kelley View Post
    District Taco is good enough for me for me to make a slight detour to go there! Plus they support biking and bike racing, and you are encouraged to bring your bikes inside.
    What's your route?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dasgeh View Post
    Italian Store is delicious and just off the Custis, though I have a hard time supporting stores in that strip mall, given their hostility to the trail and cycling generally. Kite Runner on Lee Hwy between Oakland and Pollard is worth the detour (not that it's a detour for us - we live a block away).
    Even with Big Wheel Bikes as a tenant? I've never heard of any issues with stores in that strip mall disliking the trail or cycling.

KLizotte is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Arlington, VA by way of MA and London, UK
    Post Thanks / Like

I greatly prefer http://www.tacoselchilango.com/ over District Taco. Super nice people work there too and there are a couple of inverted u-racks stationed right outside their front door (thanks WABA!). There is a tiny patio out back and you won't feel weird wearing your bike clothing inside. They even serve tongue!