Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Evolution of a cyclist.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Evolution of a cyclist.

I don't think I've ever formally introduced myself. My name is Bruce, I live in Franconia, and I love bikes. I vividly remember my first Schwinn...a Stingray handed down to me circa 1973. My friends and I would pretend to be C.H.I.P.s. That was one cool bike. I don't have a clue what became of it.

I moved to a KCI BMX style bike later on, then some random 10 speed. I learned to drive and forgot about bikes. In my twenties I began riding again due to lack of car. I had a random hybrid for spell and another random 10 speed. I rode to work and everywhere else for a couple of years until I got the car thing sorted. I was just a dude on a bike then. No helmet, no gear of any sort. Just a guy on a bike.

At 32 I bought my first mountain bike and got to know it in little bits over the next two years. I also bought my first helmet at that time. Still, just a clown on a bike. One day I put "Tank" as it's now known in the shed.

Three children and thirteen years later I would be inspired to liberate old Tank from the shed, along with my wife's Specialized Crossroads that she did the AIDS ride on back in 2000 or so. Performance Bike took a look see and gave me the green light after some minor adjustments. It wasn't long before I felt like that kid on the Stingray again. I upgraded the bike and after a month of exploratory runs I got up the nerve to ride to work...a 30 mile round trip, and a serious commitment for me at the time though I was sure I could pull it off. I broke the commute down into five stages and took them one at a time.

I bought slicks for old Tank and did what I call The AVID Run to work quite a few times, then one day while shopping for accessories I spotted the Trek FX line in Spokes. 7.3 FX added to the stable shortly thereafter.

Now commuting to work and back seems easy...old hat. I'm no longer just a dude-guy-clown on a bike. I am a cyclist. I take bicycle safety and etiquette very seriously and strive to be better and wiser out there in the wild. This comes from making mistakes that I don't want to repeat and learning from the stories of people like you. I know rudimentary bike repair and I'm getting better with time. I hope to master this stuff. There's nothing like being your own mechanic.

I appreciate this forum. I've learned a thing or two here. You've all helped me transcend my regular guy on a bike status. I'm in now, and I'm in large. Already plotting my first proper road bike for next season. In the meantime I'll enjoy where I'm at on the path.

Hope I didn't ramble too long. It's those ale's.

Cheers!

Post Thanks / Like

The evolution of my bikes this summer...

Fresh from the shed after 10 years. Look at the size of that saddle!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	97.6 KB 
ID:	6843

Changes...

Views:	99 
Size:	97.3 KB 
ID:	6844

Views:	104 
Size:	99.3 KB 
ID:	6845

Views:	100 
Size:	97.8 KB 
ID:	6846

New Trek in July
    Attached Images Attached Images  

3. Likes baiskeli liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Evolved Trek

Views:	112 
Size:	100.0 KB 
ID:	6848

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Supermau View Post
    The evolution of my bikes this summer...
    Nice. Now we can spot you on the road/trail. Hope to see you there.

6. Likes Supermau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I use to hate cyclists. I would curse them on beach drive and any other time they were in the roadway. "Use the sidewalk, it is like a little road for bikes" I would say to myself.

A few years later, here I am, riding 150-200 miles a week to work.

Another funny thing, during the evolution, there were many, many things I said I would NEVER do, but ended up doing anyway later on. Such items include-
    -Cycle shorts
    -riding a road bike
    -clipless pedals
    -helmet mirror

8. Likes Subby, Supermau, dkel liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skins_brew View Post
    I use to hate cyclists. I would curse them on beach drive and any other time they were in the roadway. "Use the sidewalk, it is like a little road for bikes" I would say to myself.

A few years later, here I am, riding 150-200 miles a week to work.

Another funny thing, during the evolution, there were many, many things I said I would NEVER do, but ended up doing anyway later on. Such items include-
    -Cycle shorts
    -riding a road bike
    -clipless pedals
    -helmet mirror
    Sometimes I still catch myself saying I hate cyclists, but then I realize it's just those entitled pathletes that I'm referring to...the clueless ones who make dangerous passes then stop right in the middle of the path to check Strava.

I've also graduated to Lycra, riding on the actual road...at least the ones that feel safe, and I'm keen on going clipless but I'll probably hold off until next spring. It's funny how things begin to change once cycling gets it's hooks in you.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Supermau View Post
    Sometimes I still catch myself saying I hate cyclists, but then I realize it's just those entitled pathletes that I'm referring to...the clueless ones who make dangerous passes then stop right in the middle of the path to check Strava.

I've also graduated to Lycra, riding on the actual road...at least the ones that feel safe, and I'm keen on going clipless but I'll probably hold off until next spring. It's funny how things begin to change once cycling gets it's hooks in you.
    Sometimes I will see a cyclist and just say, "WTF are you doing?"

Example, on saturday I was over in Rockville. It is like 11am, the weather is nice, and Rockville is congested as usual. Here comes some guy in lycra on a road bike riding down Rockville Pk. He was in the right lane, and he was well within his right to be there, but I just thought to myself, "Dude, wtf are you doing?"

Same goes for earlier in the year. Back in April and May when we were getting slammed with those rain storms. It was one of those 20 year storms and I opted to drive to College Park Metro. I am on Rt 1, right in front of UMD, waiting to turn onto Paint Branch Pkwy. It is like 8am, raining like crazy, traffic like crazy, and here comes a guy riding north on Rt 1. He looked well prepared for the wx, but dude....come on....I don't want to see you die...

Steve O is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Example, on saturday I was over in Rockville. It is like 11am, the weather is nice, and Rockville is congested as usual. Here comes some guy in lycra on a road bike riding down Rockville Pk. He was in the right lane, and he was well within his right to be there, but I just thought to myself, "Dude, wtf are you doing?"

Same goes for earlier in the year. Back in April and May when we were getting slammed with those rain storms. It was one of those 20 year storms and I opted to drive to College Park Metro. I am on Rt 1, right in front of UMD, waiting to turn onto Paint Branch Pkwy. It is like 8am, raining like crazy, traffic like crazy, and here comes a guy riding north on Rt 1. He looked well prepared for the wx, but dude....come on....I don't want to see you die...
    And a few years from now, those guys will be you!!

12. Likes Supermau, Amalitza, rcannon100 liked this post
    ShawnoftheDread is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't get it. Both situations sound perfectly reasonable.

rcannon100 is offline Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies!
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better." ~ Samuel Beckett
    Post Thanks / Like

Sometimes I will see a car driver and just say, "WTF are you doing?"

Example, one day last week. It's like 9am. The weather is nice and GW parkway, and 66, and TR bridge, and 395 are congested like usual. Here comes some guy in a tin can on four wheels. He is in the right lane of the GW going no where, well within his right to go no where, but I just thought to myself, "Dude, WTF are you doing in that tin can? Cycle and Love your commute.

Same goes for earlier in the year. Back in April and May when we were getting slammed with those rain storms. It was one of those 20 year storms. I opted to cycle. I mean, put on good gear; Use my good water proof bag; Put on my good tires; use hiviz equipment. The weather is crazy and every time the weather is crazy, the cars they dont go no where and the subway is a packed sardine can. I go riding along loving my ride. Dude.... come on.... even the worst day on the trail is better than getting imprisoned in a tin can.
    Last edited by rcannon100; 10-20-2014 at 07:10 PM.