Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Folding Bike Head Tube Crack

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vicegrip View Post
    Not saying this the case here but i have noted a lot of missinformation about welding and weld related repairs gets repeated as gospel by non weldors
    That would be me, that's why I was curious if things something had changed since I threw out my frame.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hozn View Post
    Thanks for the info, Vicegrip. Yeah, I don't know first-hand that Bruce would not so a good job, only that there was some seeming issue with the ti welding work, so I might have been skeptical of the TIG welding capabilities -- if there is any relation to aluminum welding. I have no idea what I am talking about Of course, you might also be right that it was just a buffing issue, etc.
    Not having a good result with Titanium is not reason enough to disregard other work in other metals in my book. In stainless light straw to light rainbow is often a desired result. Ti is its own metal. Love it on one hand hate it on the other. Aluminum is easy peasy.

Post Thanks / Like

For a while in the late 1980's through late 1990's, Trek made road bikes with bonded aluminum frames (1200 series). I'd be very wary of one of these.

Post Thanks / Like

Why not just call Dahon find a local dealer and get a warranty replacement frame? Around here you're probably not going to find a machine shop that'll be willing to clean, grind/prep, TIG, grind back, face and bore the HT for less than $200.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks for the advice

Thanks everyone for the advice on what I should do next. I will try to contact the welder on Craigslist and see if a repair is do-able. Attached is a photo if the head tube crack.
    Attached Images Attached Images