Likes Likes:  45
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
ELITE ELITE:  4
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hit from behind by maroon Gold Rush recumbent with windshield

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mstone View Post
    For the same reason most pathletes aren't contenders in the tour de France
    I'm slower than the pros, and slower than many pathletes, so I wouldn't consider myself in the running for the tour. But recumbents are supposed to have speed potential beyond upright bikes, and yet I don't think I've ever been passed by one on the trail. If the riders are all around average for the trail, shouldn't there still be some speed demons on recumbents?

Post Thanks / Like

I would guess that the recumbent demographic skews away from those who have something to prove. That said, i have encountered a couple of racing recumbents moving at a good clip. It's a small fraction of a small pool, though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mstone View Post
    I would guess that the recumbent demographic skews away from those who have something to prove. That said, i have encountered a couple of racing recumbents moving at a good clip. It's a small fraction of a small pool, though.
    Going fast doesn't mean you have anything to prove

Post Thanks / Like

...while I was already on hold with 911 (which lasted for about five minutes by the way)
    I understand this was a huge deal to you, and that you were upset. 911 is for emergencies where a serious crime is in progress, or there is an immediate threat to human life, though. In other words, someone is having a heart attack, or an armed robber is threatening a cashier, or there's been an accident, and someone needs an ambulance NOW. By calling 911 with an issue that's not as serious as those types of things, you may be contributing to those 5 minute holds.

I keep the Arlington Police non-emergency number in my phone for stuff like this - (703) 558-2222. This happened pretty close to the jurisdictional line, but they'd still have been able to help. Most importantly, you would have given the dispatcher the discretion to prioritize the call. I suggest putting the police non-emergency numbers for the jurisdictions where you ride in your contacts. If you have a fender-bender, see some new graffiti, notice a stranded vehicle that needs help, have a kitten up a tree, or any number of scenarios where someone isn't bleeding out, you'll have the number.

Having said all that, the recumbulator driver does sound like a cowardly douche, and it's disheartening that he brought needless conflict to the trail and messed up your bike.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by creadinger View Post
    Did he also have a american flag aero material along the sides? That douche did a high speed up the middle pass on the 14th st bridge a couple of months ago.
    I've run into that guy and can confirm that his attitude is as you describe.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by creadinger View Post
    Did he also have a american flag aero material along the sides? That douche did a high speed up the middle pass on the 14th st bridge a couple of months ago.
    If it's that guy, I have definitely seen him many times. I don't take the 14th St bridge much anymore, but I used to see him on it a lot. And he did exactly what you were saying all the time. Rarely with any form of a call either or least not audible enough for me to hear.

baiskeli is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dkel View Post
    I'm slower than the pros, and slower than many pathletes, so I wouldn't consider myself in the running for the tour. But recumbents are supposed to have speed potential beyond upright bikes, and yet I don't think I've ever been passed by one on the trail. If the riders are all around average for the trail, shouldn't there still be some speed demons on recumbents?
    It's kinda like NASCAR races involve "stock cars."

Post Thanks / Like

I was the victim of a cyclist hit and run one time and I called the Arlington police, who confirmed it was a hit and run and that I could file a report. They mailed me the form, but I never filed it, for the obvious reason that there'd be no way to actually catch the guy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dkel View Post
    Pretty sure I saw this guy on my way home tonight. Traveling east through Falls Church I saw an orange version of the bike coming towards me just before I got to Citizens' Bridge, which caught my eye because of this thread. Then I saw another bike like it just after I crossed the bridge, which seemed a pretty rare occurrence, and that one was definitely a maroon-purple-looking color. It was a double-take kind of situation, though, and going in opposite directions didn't help. Was the collision guy bearded? I'm pretty sure this guy had a beard, though again, it was a quick pass.

As an aside, if recumbents hold all kinds of speed records for human-powered vehicles, why is it that they're always so slow on the trail??
    Well, OF COURSE he had a beard! He was riding a recumbent, wasn't he?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dcv View Post
    Going fast doesn't mean you have anything to prove
    wondering at length about the number of people of various types who do and do not pass, on the other hand...