Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0

Thread: Weekly Fort Dupont MTB/Cross Rides

Post Thanks / Like

Default Weekly Fort Dupont MTB/Cross Rides

What:
    In August, I will lead weekly rides in Fort Dupont along the hiker-biker trail and other trails in Fort Dupont. The rides will be every Wed starting at 6 PM.
    Wed Aug 6
    Wed Aug 13
    Wed Aug 20 (Cancelled due to rain)
    Wed Aug 27

Where:
    Rides will meet in the main Fort DuPont parking lot behind the visitor center on Fort DuPont Drive SE. (the B on the map below ) This is about 0.25 miles from the intersection with Randle SE/Minnesota Ave SE.

The map below shows the best riding route from Capitol Hill. When you are on Pennsylvania, be careful crossing the ramps to the Anacostia Freeway. I cross them nearly every day on my way to work in Suitland, and cars here are not too aware of bikes.

Terrain:
    Intermediate. There are exposed roots, log and waterbar crossings, loose gravel and some climbs that may be challenging to beginning riders.

Pace:
    Casual to slightly moderate. This pace will definitely be casual; nobody will be left behind or quilted into going faster than they want. When possible, a second leader may take a faster group up ahead. This is a social ride designed to get people out on these poorly known trails.

Requirements:
    Even through the trails are not super technical, you will need a mountain bike or a cyclocross bike in good working order. All riders will be required to wear a helmet and sign a waiver.

Ray Crew
    Raymond.Crew@gmail.com

Photos/Map
    Rick D. has a set of photos from a ride in April and a GPS track of the most ridden trails.
    Pics: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bikece...7644211011266/
    GPS Route: http://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/485972011

Attachment 6050

Post Thanks / Like

Confirming the ride for today Wed Aug 27th.

Post Thanks / Like

Just wanted to send a thanks out to everyone that came out for the weekday Fort Dupont rides this year. I may try to have some in September, but the days may be too short unless we start before 6. We had to stop early last night due to the sun setting.

The ride last night was great. Six folks total, plus one more that showed up late as we were riding back. We saw a lot of deer and a trio of wild turkeys.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for leading these rides Ray! I had a great time discovering new trails just minutes from my house.