Likes Likes:  22
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  7
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chainring

hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds worn to me. Suggestion: check eBay for rings matching your BCD & tooth count. Lots of people sell chainrings taken off new bikes for a lot less than you'll pay for a new ring. As mentioned earlier the BCD is probably printed on the chainring -- or the outer one and the # teeth is almost certainly printed on the chainring.

Edit:
    Another thing to double check: make sure you can replace the chainrings. Some (cheaper) cranksets don't have chainring bolts (they are just riveted together). But probably not yours. Assuming you do have bolts you may need one of those little T wrenches (or whatever they are called) to use on conjunction with a 5mm hex. Hopefully it is a chainring with decent 6mm/5mm hex bolts instead.
    Last edited by hozn; 08-20-2014 at 07:36 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I just bought a set of two five bolt Raceface rings, 53/39 130BCD, both for total of $19.95 from Bike Nashbar. Probably too big and too many bolt holes for your bike but if not, pretty good price. I just got them today, hoping they fit my bike. I think they are designed for double crankset, mine is a triple. I should have clearance, stock rings were 30/40/50.

Post Thanks / Like

I just replaced my inner chainring for the same reason....put on new chain to discover the cassette was worn, installed new cassette and chain to find my inner chain ring was worn. Finally got it right, but being Campagnolo I had to sell the rest of the bike to afford it :-)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Middle ring

My Bad Boy was one of the original "Dark Angel" models, so the cranks are probably different, but I found only "Vuelta" brand rings fit.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Occasionally Arlington, VA. But mainly in Lima, Peru.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dickie View Post
    I just replaced my inner chainring for the same reason....put on new chain to discover the cassette was worn, installed new cassette and chain to find my inner chain ring was worn. Finally got it right, but being Campagnolo I had to sell the rest of the bike to afford it :-)
    1. You are a good man.

2. It is totally worth it.

3. I have Shimano 105 and Ultegra on two of my rides and Campagnolo Record 10v on my third. It is always so wonderful when I ride Campa. Almost done collecting random parts to shift my commuter over to Campa...

americancyclo is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rcannon100 View Post
    Just the middle ring. And I ALWAYS ride in the middle ring.
    I always ride in the big ring on my Bad Boy. You want my middle chainring?

rcannon100 is offline Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies!
    "a minefield of dumb games and social cliques badly disguised as a forum for DC bike advocacy."
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by americancyclo View Post
    I always ride in the big ring on my Bad Boy. You want my middle chainring?
    YES!

So the middle is a 38 104 mm. And apparently (of course), that is unusual. Very unusual. So far two LBSs have been left shrugging their shoulders. EDIT: Yeah, even Bike Nashbar dont got it.

I see online a chainring 38 104mm but it is listed as 10 speed. My Cannondale BB is an 8 speed. That's something I am going to have to match too???

The last LBS found an old crankset hidden under a rock - but it is a shimano crankset which requires a longer bottem bracket. I got a 118 and it needs a 122? So they are going to order me a new bottom bracket too.

Is there a difference in quality of chainrings? I mean I guess I dont want one that is rivetted cause I want to be able to swap out the rings. Otherwise??

UPDATE: Yeah, all I see online is 38t 104mm for 10 speed.

So that means to fix this I am looking at replacing the whole crank set??
    Last edited by rcannon100; 08-21-2014 at 02:06 PM.

DismalScientist is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, if you "ALWAYS" ride in the middle ring, just change the setup into a 1x8 and be done with it.

The number of speeds shouldn't matter. I think they only put out new derailleurs and cranks for higher speeds so they can charge more. (9 and 10 speed chains are narrower, so are different, as are shifters.)

118 mm bottom brackets seem narrow for triple cranksets.

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure that 10-speed designation actually makes a big difference. Neither is Sheldon Brown.

Disclaimer: I am not a professional bike mechanic, and I didn't even stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DismalScientist View Post
    118 mm bottom brackets seem narrow for triple cranksets.
    118 sounds reasonable to me. My triple crankset is on (and calls for) a 113 mm bottom bracket spindle. 113 or 118 (don't recall which at the moment) is what comes on the stock Surly LHT, which has a triple crankset.