Likes Likes:  43
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  6
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 50

Thread: Help ID this guy -- caused a bike crash sending 2 to hospital

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Alexandria (Groveton)
    Posts
    1,678
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Terpfan View Post
    Enter the dangers of riding in weekend pace lines on highly trafficked areas. The guy should have stopped, but alternatively if he's able to leap frog the line and has been doing so then his sudden move really isn't unpredictable and he signaled it. Then again, I'm not a big fan of pace lines because I've had them cut me off several times on the MVT because the leader doesn't want to slow down for a second.
    I should add that this guy looks familiar. I've definitely seen him before, but I can't quite place where. Probably on the RCP. It's just he's one of those faces where I'm convinced I've seen it a few times. If I see him, I'll ask his name though.

  2. #22
    americancyclo's Avatar
    americancyclo is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    3,019
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dcv View Post
    look for him on strava flyby
    http://labs.strava.com/flyby/viewer/
    So no one on that ride used strava?

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Falls church
    Posts
    1,314
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dkel View Post
    I just feel awful about this whole situation. I don't know what else to say. I hope everyone involved can find healing and peace.
    I feel the same way. I would add that I am glad I am not that guy ether. We humans are a flawed lot and I know I do my fair share of dumb stuff. I would hate to be riding and cause a disaster such as this. Those that know of and take precautions are less likely to cause such events and even less likely to ride away. Assuming he knew the events unfolding behind him.

    Just bad news for all. Any word on the riders that went down and how they are doing?
    Last edited by Vicegrip; 08-21-2014 at 11:32 AM.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    464
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Terpfan View Post
    Enter the dangers of riding in weekend pace lines on highly trafficked areas. The guy should have stopped, but alternatively if he's able to leap frog the line and has been doing so then his sudden move really isn't unpredictable and he signaled it. Then again, I'm not a big fan of pace lines because I've had them cut me off several times on the MVT because the leader doesn't want to slow down for a second.
    His signal was quick, and was given barely one second before pulling his jackass move. You can see the rider behind him begin to react and allow space, but paceline actions and reactions must be steady and predictable. Also, if I had been the rider behind him it would not have been clear to me exactly what his plan was...to join the paceline...to slowly and cautiously cross it...or to swerve across it like an idiot.

    He definitely knew what he had caused. In the video he clearly looks back at the fallen riders. His attitude seems to be, "they didn't yield fast enough; serves them right"

    Also, does his front fork look bent to anyone else?

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Alexandria (Groveton)
    Posts
    1,678
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by krazygl00 View Post
    His signal was quick, and was given barely one second before pulling his jackass move. You can see the rider behind him begin to react and allow space, but paceline actions and reactions must be steady and predictable. Also, if I had been the rider behind him it would not have been clear to me exactly what his plan was...to join the paceline...to slowly and cautiously cross it...or to swerve across it like an idiot.

    He definitely knew what he had caused. In the video he clearly looks back at the fallen riders. His attitude seems to be, "they didn't yield fast enough; serves them right"

    Also, does his front fork look bent to anyone else?
    I don't disagree--it was too quick, pacelines should be steady/predictable/and it was a dbag move.

    The flip side--trying to run a steady and predictable paceline on a heavily traversed MUP full of walkers/joggers/kids/pets/cyclists/skate boarders/etc of varied experienced levels just strikes me as an invitation for trouble. It may be a wide road, but at least from my experiences on it, seems to be chalk full of every category of people and animal. Shoot, riding home from Thanksgiving I nearly t-boned a deer.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Bethesda, MD
    Posts
    1,781
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by creadinger View Post
    His hand gesture just seemed arrogant to me. I mean I guess people do this type of move in pelotons (none I've ridden in), but I've never known anyone who just HAD to get over right now just so he could pass somebody. If someone puts out a stop sign to me like that I'd be more taken aback and surprised and probably would not immediately drop back either. It's the car version of - "I need to get over because if I don't I can't pass people, you're in my way, and I'm coming over anyway, so watch out. Dick move. He could have waited until the other guy passed.

    Sorry, I don't recognize him.
    What he did was the internationally approved signal for "I'm moving [or turning] left." It is the cyclist's (or driver's, if the turn signals are malfunctioning) equivalent of a left turn signal. Thus, I cannot agree that use of the signal on its own is "arrogant." Of course, as with a left turn signal, it does not excuse the person from checking behind him before moving left, and does not permit the person to cut off someone behind him.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Mostly Frankfurt am Main with time in Dominion Hills
    Posts
    5,322
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cvcalhoun View Post
    What he did was the internationally approved signal for "I'm moving [or turning] left." It is the cyclist's (or driver's, if the turn signals are malfunctioning) equivalent of a left turn signal. Thus, I cannot agree that use of the signal on its own is "arrogant." Of course, as with a left turn signal, it does not excuse the person from checking behind him before moving left, and does not permit the person to cut off someone behind him.
    When I looked at the hand signal, it was closer to being the internationally recognized slowing/stop signal than left turn since was at less than a 45 angle. The only thing in the rider's favor is that he does point his index finger out, for what it is worth

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Falls church
    Posts
    1,314
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Giving a signal does not convey any rights to the space or actions to be taken. It means "I want to". Not I have the right to.

  9. #29
    rcannon100's Avatar
    rcannon100 is offline Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies!
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better. ~~Samuel Beckett
    Posts
    4,265
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    /\ /\ /\ THIS /\ /\ /\

    (same with calling a pass - it doesnt mean you get to or that people must clear out of your way - pass when it is safe only)

  10. #30
    TwoWheelsDC's Avatar
    TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Capitol Hill
    Posts
    3,592
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cvcalhoun View Post
    What he did was the internationally approved signal for "I'm moving [or turning] left." It is the cyclist's (or driver's, if the turn signals are malfunctioning) equivalent of a left turn signal. Thus, I cannot agree that use of the signal on its own is "arrogant." Of course, as with a left turn signal, it does not excuse the person from checking behind him before moving left, and does not permit the person to cut off someone behind him.
    Well yeah, a widely-accepted signal on its own can't be "arrogant", but the rider certainly displayed a high level of arrogance in giving the signal, since it totally violated etiquette (IMO, at least, he should've waited for the group to pass before making any move) and seemed to be motivated entirely by him not wanting to be passed, rather than a legitimate need to move over.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •